Am I the Only One...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dasboot

Re: Am I the Only One...

Post by dasboot »

I am eagerly looking forward to the box set but will be disapointed if there is nothing else to follow for anothrt 25 years. Iwould like to hear the tonight fade someday before i die and want you said it all on cd.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo
jckmdcn

Post by jckmdcn »

yeah, I have to agree, the Tonight fade is one of my "holy grail" items. I'm not sure what people are expecting with regards to footage from 1981.
there is nothing that isn't grainy. I mean if it was pro-shot and processed, maybe then, but all we're going to get is bootlegged stuff.

I can't believe it's only 2 weeks from now. It's gonna be a great day.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Quick question - a lot of you folks seem to think Tribute is not that great of an album. For example - saying King Biscuit is much better. I think Tribute is great! So, what's the specific issues that you all have with Tribute? Performances? Or mixing/mastering? Personally speaking, my only issue is the fact that they didn't include Over the Mountains.
jasonmusicman
Cool Member

Post by jasonmusicman »

jckmdcn wrote:yeah, I have to agree, the Tonight fade is one of my "holy grail" items. I'm not sure what people are expecting with regards to footage from 1981.
there is nothing that isn't grainy. I mean if it was pro-shot and processed, maybe then, but all we're going to get is bootlegged stuff.

I can't believe it's only 2 weeks from now. It's gonna be a great day.
It may be a little grainy but it the only footage we will ever get to see other than whats out there already.
I think too many people are being too critical of what we are getting. Look at currently what we have got, we have after hours and the other poor quality bootleg footage. We will never get pro shot stuff as i now believe that there isnt any.
What we are finally gonna get is to see randy in concert format which we really havent seen to this quality before. I cant wait for what we will get, People need to understand you are not gonna get 30 year old footage in HD quality.
I have waited 30 years for this and will be over the moon with what ever i get based upon what i have seen already.

Ozzy has really given randy the respect he deserves, nearly all the preview clips we've seen show randy or talks about randy. To comment like some have that the cameras are on ozzy what do they expect, its the ozzy osbourne band not the randy rhoads band, we should be grateful that the guy who filmed it was in the middle of the stage closer to randy that to rudy otherwise it could have been a lot worse.

This release is as much a randy release as it can be.

I thank ozzy and sharon for what they have done so far on this release, im an eternally grateful that in 11 days i will finally get to see my hero like i have never seen before.

Long live randy rhoads.

Jas.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Quick question - a lot of you folks seem to think Tribute is not that great of an album. For example - saying King Biscuit is much better. I think Tribute is great! So, what's the specific issues that you all have with Tribute? Performances? Or mixing/mastering?
I think the band & Randy played better during the Cleveland ('Tribute') show. I only wished they had kept the original spotlight solo Randy did there instead of using the one from Montreal. I really like the Montreal show too, but it was a little sloppy compared with Cleveland. Love the big midboosted plexi sound Randy had there. But I think they made a good choice then in 1987 to use most of the Cleveland show for 'Tribute'. (imo)
As for 'Tribute' itself they may have kept some more 'rawness' one can hear on the boot. Because of that I rather listen to the Cleveland bootleg instead of the 'Tribute' cd.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

It's easy to look back 25 years and criticize something as not being as good, blah, blah, blah...whatever. Back in 1987 when it came out, it was a HUGE thing, at least locally in L.A. Huge billboards, non-stop radio spots, even some TV adds. There were some that had already heard Bat's Head Soup, so it wasn't completely new to them, and because of that, I'm sure some were somewhat disappointed. BUT, the vast majority of Ozzy fans had never heard Randy live outside of the Mr. Crowley EP and even that wasn't that common. Bootlegs were not common at all unless you attended record shows or something of that sort. I'd had, for a couple of years, what I thought was Randy live (Irvine Meadows show w/Gillis recorded off of KLOS on Christmas Eve 1983). I'd not heard Randy live and the radio never mentioned it was Gillis, only that it was "captured live" in 1982. Suicide Solution was omitted from the broadcast, so his name was never mentioned. When I heard Tribute, I finally figured out that the tape I had was not Randy at all. His spotlight solo blew me away. the pictures inside the album (God I miss full size vinyl albums) were amazing. The only pictures we ever got to see were in the magazines. Thankfully, most of the 80's, the mainstream rock magazines always had something of Randy in them. Hearing Randy play the Sabbath songs was amazing and the studio outtakes???? Fahgettaboutit! Awesomeness!

It wasn't until later on that it became common knowledge that Tribute was pieced together. It will always be a special album because of what it did at the time for so many 'casual' Ozzy/Randy fans. That album really picked up quite a few new fans for Randy. I hope the box set does the same thing for newer fans as well.
Last edited by cableguyxx on Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I don't think cleveland is a bad show at all. I just think it is to "plain" sounding because of the lack of fills Randy did compared to July and later on. During the July and August time period he was on fire and was in top form
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Nice job, Darin...pretty much nailed that fucker to the wall! :D

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

Tribute was ridiculously doctored up in the studio and has always left me with an empty feeling. I had a great copy of the Montreal show w/out the radio "interrupts" and i played that a gazillion more times than i ever played Tribute. Randy was SMOKIN' on the Montreal show. I won't mind if the whole live disc is that show remixed.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I had taped the King Biscuit '81 (Montreal) tape from the radio and played the hell out of it. When Tribute came out, I was disappointed but thank the maker it was something! Don't get me wrong, It was finally an official release but I loved the guitar solo/sound on the KBFH better. In Suicide solution (middle) when Randy's guitar feeds back - I love it! But the unaccompanied solo right after he hits the A, G, D then toggle switch... Oh man. So where did goodbye to romance and No Bone movies come from on Tribute? Also, didn't Tommy A say he had a drawer full of desk tapes that were better than Tribute? I don't think those were leaked - not too many or in great quality. There's only a handful of board (tapes) boots. One day maybe they start a Experience Hendrix type of company and put out recordings that way. I can dream, can't I?
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

GTR and NBM came from the Southampton gig with the Mach I lineup on 10/2/80 at the Gaumont Theater.
This is the same source for the Mr. Crowley EP and this is where YSIA was recorded earlier in the day.

Funny you should mention the Hendrix estate...some may have read this interview with Kevin DuBrow before, it is from about the time the album Rehab was released (2006):

I think it's a shame his memory is not being cultivated the way it should be, like the way.......there's certain bad things about the Jimi Hendrix estate, but at least the memory is being cultivated.

FIB MUSIC: What do you mean by that?

Kevin: Music still comes out from the Hendrix estate. There's no music that comes out, because Randy's mom has such a tight reign on things...there's no merchandise, no nothing comes out of the Randy Rhoads estate, it just sits there.

Link: http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/kevin_dubrow.html
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

it cracks me up that a few months before the boxset everyone was wishing and hoping for just a small new clip of randy.. now we have new footage.. and its now somehow not good enuff..
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

sik_kreations wrote:it cracks me up that a few months before the boxset everyone was wishing and hoping for just a small new clip of randy.. now we have new footage.. and its now somehow not good enuff..
Not sure who you are referring to but I would buy bootleg footage put out legit in a heartbeat. Just get the guy who did the Zep DVD - Kevin Shirley. They went through and Photoshopped every frame of the Royal Albert film. I had a crappy version but what I saw was mint!

Put out Ozzy in Chicago 1982, I will be the first in line... Even if the disturbing blur is in there every minute...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I agree. I will take everything that's out there. Just release this stuff. Demos,audio,lessons what ever. Are you kidden me.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

hansolo wrote:
sik_kreations wrote:it cracks me up that a few months before the boxset everyone was wishing and hoping for just a small new clip of randy.. now we have new footage.. and its now somehow not good enuff..
Not sure who you are referring to but I would buy bootleg footage put out legit in a heartbeat. Just get the guy who did the Zep DVD - Kevin Shirley. They went through and Photoshopped every frame of the Royal Albert film. I had a crappy version but what I saw was mint!

Put out Ozzy in Chicago 1982, I will be the first in line... Even if the disturbing blur is in there every minute...

im just making a broad statement as it seems that there are alot of people complaining about the new footage and what not out.. but just before people were dying for a brief glimpse of something.. thread after thread there is someone complainging.