'Chippan' noise !

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Lespauly
Cool Member

Re: 'Chippan' noise !

Post by Lespauly »

Not for sure but They might not have had noise reductions units back then--also Marshalls are going to hiss and hum when there turned up especially with several pedals plugged into the front of them--also several amps plugged into extension cords does not help
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Just re-read an interview with max norman and he said during recording they hooked up a noise gate but they didn't like how it effected the sound so he just manually dropped the faders out when randy wasn't playing. This makes me think that randy's board didn't have a gate in it
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Cold be possible. Has any one ever interviewed his guitar tech? Does anyone know who he was.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

im remaking his board and he did have a master bypass, its the middle switch
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

Geo Sav wrote:Cold be possible. Has any one ever interviewed his guitar tech? Does anyone know who he was.
In Rudy's book "Off the Rails", he has a picture of Randy's guitar tech, Pete Mertons (page 224). After Randy was brought to heaven, Pete became Rudy's bass tech.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I gotta check that out again. I read Rudys book two or three times and forgot that.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Geo Sav wrote:Has any one ever interviewed his guitar tech? Does anyone know who he was.
Pete Mertons was Randy's guitartech, he was interviewed by Peter Margolis for the Dakota documentary. Really hope Ozzy didn't forget him for his documentary in the box-set. To me it would be 'the interview'.....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:Has any one ever interviewed his guitar tech? Does anyone know who he was.
Pete Mertons was Randy's guitartech, he was interviewed by Peter Margolis for the Dakota documentary. Really hope Ozzy didn't forget him for his documentary in the box-set. To me it would be 'the interview'.....
Yeh well I doubt ozzy and sharon got him for the box-set. From what we have seen in the trailer it seems like the same people over and over.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Ditto, it appears the only one who was there for both sessions that was interviewed for Ozzy's doc is Ozzy.
The recollections of Max Norman, Don Airey, Johnny Cook, Pete Mertons, Dave Tangye, Bob and Lee would kind of fuck up Ozzy's version of how things transpired.
It's no suprise that Sarzo is there. Though I don't care for him at all, he has been a presence at nearly everything regarding Randy. Odd that Aldrige is absent, though...
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thnx to the new Palladium footage I have some new insight:
Check out Flying High after the solo, Randy is using the volume pedal when playing the main riff probably to prevent his guitar from squeeling in those little silence moments. Every time he starts playing he stepped on it fully and releasing it very quickly when not playing for a second. It's very clear to see.
So in a way he uses his volume pedal as a sort of noisegate there. :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.