short talk w/someone who has the advance..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

halo8th
Cool Member

short talk w/someone who has the advance..

Post by halo8th »

i conversed with someone yesterday (press) who has the advance. Here's what he had to say:

I've had the advance for a while. The documentary is pretty good, but only 42 minutes. They're not making all the bonus footage available to the press (nor the book), but the clips in the documentary are decent. Dicey super-8 footage (apparently presented in three-minute clips because the guy had to keep reloading his camera), but any new footage of Rhoads performing should be treasured.

The remasters are spectacular. However the big surprise is the live CD from the Diary reissue...absolutely scorching, it blows the doctored-up Tribute out of the water.

I then asked if the live CD was the '81 Montreal radio broadcast and if the regular CD remasters sounded better than the last remasters:

That I'm trying to determine. The notes don't say and Epic won't tell me. My first instinct is to say it isn't Montreal, the "Suicide Solution" solo from Montreal, which was famously spliced into the Tribute version, doesn't immediately sound like what I hear on the new live disc. But I'll do a proper comparison soon and let you know.

The remastering is great. Typical of current stuff, really, punched up a bit to sound marginally comparable with today's loud standards, but the dynamic range isn't totally destroyed or anything. Just a little more oomph to it.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: short talk w/someone who has the advance..

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thnx for the update! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Interesting, thanks.
randyrulz

Post by randyrulz »

That's what I wanted to here about the Live CD! (that and where it was recorded) Thank you!!
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

Nice sounds great! Looks like their will be a lot of gaps in the footage so might miss a solo or too though but like he says, Any footage is good footage.
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

Thanks for the update. That's excellent news on the live disc!
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Im convinced the Ozzy Live CD is a comp of several different shows. they went thru what they have and picked the best tracks. Wish they would have put OTM an YLMLU on there though
Live Life Stronger Than Death
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

Thanks for the info! 8)

Scott
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

Thanks for sharing!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Thanks for the info bro.
xk319

Post by xk319 »

I can't wait to see all the boot vets around here figure out what shows the various songs are from, if it is a compilation. It'll be interesting because we'll then know those shows were professionally recorded.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

For me it will be somewhat of a let down if there is only footage of partial songs. I pre-ordered the box back some time ago. I am happy to get anything new as it has been a terribly long wait all these years. Sad thing is this could possibly be the last of anything we have not seen that will be released.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

distortionplus wrote:For me it will be somewhat of a let down if there is only footage of partial songs. I pre-ordered the box back some time ago. I am happy to get anything new as it has been a terribly long wait all these years. Sad thing is this could possibly be the last of anything we have not seen that will be released.
I'm starting to think that they are holding something back for the Tribute reissue, either audio or video.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I hope you are right, but gee is there really a point to a "Tribute" reissue? Are we getting to the point where they are going to start reissuing the reissues. We are getting new live stuff now. I just don't see the point of holding back any video. I personally think now they just don't have any. I used to think they must have something. Heck anymore I have major doubts about it.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

distortionplus wrote:For me it will be somewhat of a let down if there is only footage of partial songs.
Well.. i hate to break the bad news but you ARE in for a let down then. The footage was recorded on 8MM film. The 8MM film only last 3 minutes. So every 3 minutes the camamraman had to stop and change the film. So all the songs are gonna only be partials. Sucks... but i will take it.
Live Life Stronger Than Death