Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rhoads

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Re: Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rho

Post by DMRX »

Ive wondered about that book myself too! I dunno ,but to me it seems a Fine Idea on his part because us RR Fans dont have very much of Anything to Read on Randy that hasnt been said before in Countless interviews/Articles.
But by looking at this guys other 20-30 Boooks on Rockers (quite alot even Kings of Leon & Queens of Stoneage) So its MoreorLess a Product! Hes had some sucess & his Publisher obviously sees the potential for Selling at least a General Amount of books based on his trck record alone.I would assume that Public Libraries will automaticly Purchase it & that Alone would make the book worth releaseing for the Publisher alone,there are 10000s in the US alone!
They had the Money toPaul Paul???Um the Photographer of the Classic Tribute Cover To use for the Cover & they got Zakk to write Prob a Paragraph or Two To help sell a Few more Copies ,its really just a buisiness thing,but I dont care.
I'll buy it Read it a dozen times probibaly & be happy since we cant get anything Official or "Authorized" by the Rhoads family & we all know the Story we'll get from Ozzys camp.Shit,Sharon tried Stopping Rudys Off the Rails,if you dont remember???
Rudy had Originally had a deal w/CherryLane Publishing & they Also do the Guitar Tab Books,& Sharon threatened to pull Ozzys Catalog from them if they released it...So Of course they couldnt risk a Guarenteed Consistent seller or Number of sellers for One book for rudy,thats why he put the 1st press on a Print to order basis,after it did well a Big Publisher came along w/Dollar signs in their eyes & Rereleased it & Paid Ross Hafflin for Dozens of Photos!! But thats the Buisiness,I'll be getting it.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Im right there with you!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

A bit more info on who was interviewed for the book ....

Crazy Train: The High Life And Tragic Death Of Randy Rhoads (Jawbone Press) features a foreword by none other than Zakk Wylde, who wrote: ‘When Joel asked me to write the foreword for this book about Randy, I was beyond honored. I figured it was the least I could do, considering how much impact Randy has had on my life.’ In addition, Yngwie Malmsteen supplies an afterword.

One of the ideas behind this book was to reveal the impact of Randy’s all-too-brief career on today’s generation of rock and metal guitarists, and to that end six-stringers from the entire spectrum of heavy music agreed to be interviewed for it. Crazy Train isn’t just about Randy’s guitar playing, though: I wanted to show what the guy was really like as a person, and so I also spoke with Randy’s oldest friends and his colleague in the Ozzy Osbourne band’s classic Blizzard Of Ozz lineup, Bob Daisley.

Interviewees:
Zakk Wylde (foreword)
Yngwie (afterword)
Kelly Garni (ex- QUIET RIOT)
Bob Daisley (ex-OZZY)
Phil Demmel (MACHINE HEAD)
Joey Jordison (SLIPKNOT)
Alexi Laiho (CHILDREN OF BODOM)
Jeff Waters (ANNIHILATOR)
Gary Holt (EXODUS)
Ron Jarzombek (WATCHTOWER)
Pat O’Brien (CANNIBAL CORPSE)
Mille Petrozza (KREATOR)
Ralph Santolla (DEICIDE)
Tomas ‘Samoth’ Haugen (ex-EMPEROR, THE WRETCHED END)
Childhood friends Pete Wilkinson and Tami Forward
Ex-students Peter Margolis (also a Rhoads documentary-maker) and Frank Santa Cruz
Quiet Riot photographer Ron Sobol

Info: http://www.joelmciver.co.uk, http://www.facebook.com/joelmciver
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Awsome Didnt know that! Thanks!!
RRavensmead

Post by RRavensmead »

it had to be that picture didn't it .......what a team they were ...they loved each other.... and we loved them .....
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Hey Joel! Your Cliff Burton book was great! Thanks for filling in the blanks on his life for us fans. If this book is anything like the Burton one, we should definitely have an essential piece of reading for Randy fans - and I have a feeling this book will be just as good, or better!

It doesn't get said often enough to authors, but thank you for writing the book - Randy fans are most appreciative of your efforts! I look forward to reading the book!
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Thanks amigos :-)
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

+1 on the Burton book, I just finished it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Learned a great deal as well. Thanks, Joel! 8)

~Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

:-)
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:D Pre-ordered it!!! Now it´s a waiting game!!! Good work, Joe!!! :wink:
Mikel
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

DMRX wrote: they got Zakk to write Prob a Paragraph or Two To help sell a Few more Copies ,its really just a buisiness thing
Just wanted to address this point. As soon as Zakk heard about this book he was very happy to help out, there's nothing cynical about his involvement. I asked him to do the foreword because he, along with the other guitarists who followed Randy in Ozzy's band, know what it's like to play Randy's parts better than anyone else. If Zakk hadn't been available I wouldn't have just asked any random guitar celeb to do the foreword to help sell a 'few more copies', as you put it: I wanted someone there who really knows what they're talking about when it comes to Randy.

Thanks for all your support guys, it means a lot!

Joel McIver
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Done deal. Pre ordered. Now I wait.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Joel how much of a contribution did Bob Daisley play in your book. I know he is about to release his own autobiography. So i'm surprised he'd give you 'an exclusive' when it will be repeated again in his own book ?. I know Bob is well appreciated for all he does and he has all the time in the world for RR fans. It was a shame that he decided to pull out of the Dakota RR film. So i'm hoping he'll be discussing a very similar interview in your book. He is probably the only member of the original band who everyone wants to hear from. I look forward to seeing your book. Cheers :wink:
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Bob was kind enough to give me an extensive interview for my Randy book. I've known him for a couple of years anyway and I helped him out with a few leads for his own book, so it was done in the spirit of mutual collaboration.

Cheers

Joel
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Tharg wrote:Bob was kind enough to give me an extensive interview for my Randy book. I've known him for a couple of years anyway and I helped him out with a few leads for his own book, so it was done in the spirit of mutual collaboration.

Cheers

Joel
8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.