Gear!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Gear!

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah post it up the reason i mentioned this is because of the authenticity of the pick being a generic Fender Medium it could of belonged to anyone. But you can put a date to these. If you notice the Fender logo doesn't have a little R for the logo to be registered. I think all the picks made after 1978 had the 'R' on them. So from what i can see Randy must of used the same batch from the start of his Ozzy touring in 1980 through to his last tour.
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

I didn't know about the "R" logo thing, but I'm certain it doesn't have one. I saw somewhere before that someone said he used yellow picks with an Ozzy logo? I don't have a clue about any of that, but my pick's chain of custody went from Randy's hand, to the floor, to my hand, and it's NOT yellow. I'll take it out of the frame for clarity and snap that photo first thing in the am. (I could use a little extra "mojo" anyhow) :lol:
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Now that you mention that, you know, it's pretty common for entertainers to buy picks by the hundreds or by the thousands because it's cheaper in bulk. That being said, he could've potentially had enough picks to last for a few years from the same batch.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That is precisely my chain of thought, why would he use other variations if he had 1000's of the same. If he ran out of old style picks, he would have to get some more. Then you would see how after a tour, his choice of pick would of had the 'R' as it was a later model. I've seen them yellow ones you mentioned it turned out that those belonged to Brad Gillis. But i'm convinced even Brad didn't have a signature pick in Ozzy. I have close up photos of him, and his pick looks like a plain grey Jim Dunlop. Does your pick have much in the way of edge wear rake marks from hammering on etc. That one i posted up was from a guy who worked for the Ozzy crew during the 1980 tour.
I seen a Randy Rhoads signature on a guitar string packet. This was a long time ago, it was from a Picatto make of string.
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Who knows, the yellow pick could be an all-out forgery. I saw Gillis on the SOTD tour later that same year in my hometown of Greenville, SC, but didn't get a pick. God, what a depressing show for me. Same set, same stage, same members... no Randy.
I did get a pick from Gillis at a Night Ranger show. Had to be mid/late-eighties cause it was the 7 Wishes tour. That pick was a rounded triangle made of stainless steel. Kinda weird to think he'd change drastically from a nylon/plastic pick to a steel one, so that's a strike against the yellow pick in my opinion. I'm a player and I've stuck with the same pick type for ages. Typically, we guitarists are pretty damn "picky" about our picks, and don't stray too far from our comfort zone.
My Randy pick has wear, but you can feel it more than you can see it. He obviously had a very light right hand. I'll do my best to capture the wear marks, but be forewarned I got an old shitty camera.
Sounds like that pack of strings may have come from the same Ozzy crew member? Nice!
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:D Efrum, thanks for sharing such great memories & knowledge!
Mikel
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Here ya go. I held a magnifying glass up in front of my shitty camera to help out. :lol: You can kinda see the wear on the edge of the backside.
While I was at it, thought I'd snap a photo of two of my favorite guitars to play live. :D
And stealaway, you're very welcome! :wink:

Arra

Post by Arra »

What pedals did he use?
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

TONS of pedal info here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4558&hilit=pedals
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

wareagle wrote:Randy used picato strings, along with bob daisley,

Or thats what he used in 1980. He might have sqitched in 1981 or 82 but he was sponsered by picato in 1980 along with bob daisley
Look what I got in the mail.. :D
ImageImage