3%
I Don't Know
7%
Revelation
10%

Total votes: 68

Stevie

Post by Stevie »

RockyRhoads wrote:Picking Up the Pieces[/i] is also an excellent QR song. I believe that would have been a hit, had it been supported by a record company that believed in the band.
Hey Rocky, I have yet to hear QR do The Mighty Quinn, sounds interesting. Speaking of covers, I have had a total new respect for Afterglow, I love his treatment when the acoustic rhythm enters, wish it would keep going for a few more bars...sigh, everything he touches practically turns to gold for me, even some of the more tacky pop material from QR. Of all the players that have passed, I would give anything to have him back here, even for a day, but well, we all know that aint gonna happen :(
Randy's Angst

Post by Randy's Angst »

Suicide Solution is an excellent song and the way it's done is so damn rocking and it's a powerful rocker at that. To me, it's Randy's most powerful.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

You Can't Kill Rock And Roll - say's and does it for me. :wink:
slash_rhoads

Post by slash_rhoads »

i voted laughing gas because today at work i listened to it over again 5 times...

i also love goodbye to romance...awesome melody n awesome solo...
myhero

Re: Which is your favorite song by RR?

Post by myhero »

From the titles you listed here...Diary Of A Madman.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Mine isnt on the list, but of those definatly diary
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

SATO!!!!his guitar tone is fuckin amazing!!!!!!!!!the d add 2 kills me everytime i hear it wow!!!!
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Hands down, "Diary of a Madman"...it took so much further and built upon what he did for "Revelation Mother Earth". The song is a mini-opus and takes the listener on such a ride...you can feel the depression, hopelessness, and sadness in the opening chords and then throughout the verses, then the anger, frustration, and crying out in the chorus.

My favorite part of the song is the middle, where Randy's guitar and the strings play beautifully off of one another, building into a creshendo that is released by Randy's brilliant, haunting guitar solo. Those measures of music are some of my favorite that Randy composed - what an amazing and brilliant talent!

In closing, the frenzy of the outro just screams madness with the choir singing in the background...I remember reading from Ozzy that the mix on the whole album was huried, and one of the things I still long for is a better mix of the choir voices so the different parts could be heard more clearly and emphatically.

I dearly love every composition Randy wrote on those two albums, but sometimes I'll just put the '95 remastered Diary CD on in my car, sitting in the dark with all the lights off, and revel in the beauty and feelings that this title track evokes. He was not only the best guitar player and far ahead of his time, he was a brilliant song writer and composer.
Whipper
Cool Member

Re:

Post by Whipper »

Trigger wrote:Lets just hope that one day we get to hear the missing 6 mins of solo that follow the fade at the end.

Tonight is a beautiful peice of music.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Seriously, there's 6 more minutes of this solo tucked away somewhere?!?!?! How unfair is that?!!!!!

I voted "Mr. Crowley", because it's the most mind-blowing track overall for me. But I probably would've voted "Tonight" if it were on the list, because I find the outro solo to be the most emotionally powerful of all.
BIG_P wrote:I still to this day cry when I hear or play that outro solo.
Glad I'm not the only one! :wink: :lol:
Ric

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Trigger »

Whipper wrote:
BIG_P wrote:I still to this day cry when I hear or play that outro solo.
Glad I'm not the only one! :wink: :lol:
nope it is not just you! I put Diary on about once a year and when I do as soon as that song comes on I tear up and just can't speak! :(
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

I chose Flying High Again because it's got a catchy rhythm, and an awesome solo!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Axeman1956 wrote:I chose Flying High Again because it's got a catchy rhythm, and an awesome solo!
Of all the songs when I got to know Randy, Flying High had one of the most amazing solo's it was like having a huge musical slap around the face followed by being grabbed by both shoulders and shook!!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

I much prefer FHA live, the studio version seems to drag after hearing the incredible energy Randy put into it live. In particular, the version from the 5/11/81 Cleveland show, he seems like he's just having such a blast with the rhythm variations and quick fills.
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

No1UNo wrote:Hands down, "Diary of a Madman"...it took so much further and built upon what he did for "Revelation Mother Earth". The song is a mini-opus and takes the listener on such a ride...you can feel the depression, hopelessness, and sadness in the opening chords and then throughout the verses, then the anger, frustration, and crying out in the chorus.

My favorite part of the song is the middle, where Randy's guitar and the strings play beautifully off of one another, building into a creshendo that is released by Randy's brilliant, haunting guitar solo. Those measures of music are some of my favorite that Randy composed - what an amazing and brilliant talent!

In closing, the frenzy of the outro just screams madness with the choir singing in the background...I remember reading from Ozzy that the mix on the whole album was huried, and one of the things I still long for is a better mix of the choir voices so the different parts could be heard more clearly and emphatically.

I dearly love every composition Randy wrote on those two albums, but sometimes I'll just put the '95 remastered Diary CD on in my car, sitting in the dark with all the lights off, and revel in the beauty and feelings that this title track evokes. He was not only the best guitar player and far ahead of his time, he was a brilliant song writer and composer.
the crescendo into the bridge thing/solo is an incredible bit of music. my favorite part of the song... that bridge riff is just so sinister and articulate, and the solo is almost kafkaesque.
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Of the ones listed it would be Steal away..Fun song to play....But My all time favorite was the first song I ever heard of Randy's...I remember I was walking home from JR. high in 1981, and (this was back when everyone carried those "Boom Boxes" the size of furniture)...and my friend I was walking with put in Diary... well "Over the Mountain" (first track) came on,,, It blew my mind,, from then on i've been hooked ever since...
ImageImage