Gear!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Arra

Gear!

Post by Arra »

Hi everyone! Do you know what gear Randy used? Everything from Strings and Picks to Guitars and Amps? All the best, Arra
AceVader
Cool Member

Re: Gear!

Post by AceVader »

Arra

Post by Arra »

It stood nothing about Strings and Picks
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Hi Arra! Randy used G.H.S. strings .010 to .046, and the pick I have from the show is just a plain old Fender tortoise shell medium.
Arra

Post by Arra »

Thank you SO much. How did you get the pick? Did you catch it?
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

You're very welcome. Didn't catch it. I saw it fly and proceded to crawl around on the floor. I had to whack a guys leg to get to it. :lol:
Arra

Post by Arra »

Haha, you're AWESOME bro :D
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

YOU'RE awesome for being a Randy Rhoads fan! Welcome aboard! :D
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

You got a pick that Randy used? That's amazing!
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Randy used picato strings, along with bob daisley,

Or thats what he used in 1980. He might have sqitched in 1981 or 82 but he was sponsered by picato in 1980 along with bob daisley
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

wareagle wrote:Randy used picato strings, along with bob daisley,

Or thats what he used in 1980. He might have sqitched in 1981 or 82 but he was sponsered by picato in 1980 along with bob daisley
someone with more comprehensive knowledge can probably source this, but i'm sure i read somewhere that they used picato strings in england, but switched stateside as they weren't available in the us.
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

chasmcneal wrote:
wareagle wrote:Randy used picato strings, along with bob daisley,

someone with more comprehensive knowledge can probably source this, but i'm sure i read somewhere that they used picato strings in england, but switched stateside as they weren't available in the us.
"I use regular GHS strings. In England I used Picato. I don't use light gauge. It's .010 or .011, and medium picks. I like GHS strings because they have a real metallic sound, to me." Randy Rhoads August 14, 1981

Good memories chas and wareagle! I'd forgotten about that!
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Axeman1956 wrote:You got a pick that Randy used? That's amazing!
Yes, very cool! I got it at the Omni show in Atlanta on Wednesday March 17th 1982, Randy's next-to-last show. I had one guy offer me money to touch it! :lol: He said something about the "mojo" rubbing off on him... I'm sure Randy would've giggled and blushed. I took it out of the frame and let him touch it for free. :)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Efrum wrote:
Axeman1956 wrote:You got a pick that Randy used? That's amazing!
Yes, very cool! I got it at the Omni show in Atlanta on Wednesday March 17th 1982, Randy's next-to-last show. I had one guy offer me money to touch it! :lol: He said something about the "mojo" rubbing off on him... I'm sure Randy would've giggled and blushed. I took it out of the frame and let him touch it for free. :)
Hi Efrum, I know that Randy used old style Fender Medium picks with the white logo in 1980. It would be interesting to know if he still used the same batch for his last shows in 1982 ?. This is the one i've seen below. Do you have any other memorabilia from the time you seen Randy ?. Any chance you can put a pic up of the one you got. Cheers :wink:

ImageImage
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Hey Idol! My pick looks EXACTLY like that. I don't know how to tell if it's from the same batch tho. I don't have much else from the show. I'm sure my ticket stub is in a suitcase with a hundred other stubs. I won't be home till tomorrow so I'll take a photo of it and post it on here then. For the life of me, I can't remember what song he was playing when it flew out. I wish I could, but that was a LONG time ago... :oops: Take care! :D