RR Custom Gibson Reproduction Release

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ritchie
Mass Poster

Re: RR Custom Gibson Reproduction Release

Post by Ritchie »

wareagle wrote:exactly, also shows heavy use....
Which guitar yall talkin about ?
................................................................Image...............................................................................
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

the one for 2.5k the '74
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lets remember that this is supposed to be the year of "all things randy" like we were told by kelly g..and weather the things coming out cost more than what most of us can afford,lets be happy that Randy is getting ALL the exposure now, that he deserved 29 years ago..whatever they ask is fine price it at 100,000 dollars,ill be just fine that randy's name keeps getting put out there..just my point of view on that..
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

wareagle wrote:the one for 2.5k the '74

Like I said before dude , it's 36 yrs old , somebody with a heavy vibrato and technique can wear them fast . Looking at the pics , it's in very good condition , so it has'nt been beaten around none .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

yea. it is a nice guitar lol.
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

Regarding an earlier post about whipping out a signature model guitar and people expecting you to play like them.. I agree 110%. I've owned a Gibson Zakk Wylde, but never really played it out. Same thing with a GMW Warren DeMartini Crossed Swords guitar I used to own too. If you can't bring the chops that go with the paintjob, then you might need to leave it in the case! LOL!

Speaking of the Zakk Bullseye Gibson. That guitar was a plain jane cream LPC when Zakk joined Ozzy back in the 80's. He didn't want people to think he was trying to cop Randy's vibe when he got the gig, so he sent it off to be painted. Originally, it was supposed to be painted with a swirling pattern (think something along the line of a hypnotizing wheel like you see in cartoons), but there was some miscommunication and it ended up being a bullseye instead.

Anyway, this guitar will probably be priced out of the reach of the average guitar playing RR fan, which is a shame really. I know that without Randy, there would likely have not been a Jackson guitars. At least maybe not like we know them today. But I'd hazzard to guess that nearly 75% of the photos of Randy show him playing that Gibson. It's about time Gibson recognized his place in Gibson history too.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Yea. That Gibson was used for most of his songs.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

yeah i mean it seems like gibson has been the only company not to use him to sell.. i kinda respect them for that...

even dean claims that randy used their guitars... which we all know just because there are a few (and i mean a few) pics of him playing a dean v doesnt mean crap....)
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

wareagle wrote:yeah i mean it seems like gibson has been the only company not to use him to sell.. i kinda respect them for that...

even dean claims that randy used their guitars... which we all know just because there are a few (and i mean a few) pics of him playing a dean v doesnt mean crap....)
Lol. Make him use your guitar for most of his songs and maybe you can use him to sell your guitars lol.
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

Food for thought on this "Replica"...I DOUBT HIGHLY that Gibson will truly try to replicate Randy's '74 LP....this is coming from someone (me) who owns a '74/'75 Les Paul. Do a bit of googling and you'll find that guitars from this era are known as "Norlin" era gibsons referring to the period where Gibson had new management and design changes. Norlin era Gibsons are NOT very highly regarded as quality control and craftsmanship from this era was not at it's best.

There were significant design differences in '74 too. Les Pauls had a flatter contour to the top of the guitar than today. The angle of the headstock was less than today. Many of the bodies and necks were multiple pieces of wood (3 piece necks instead of 1, pancake bodies instead of 2 pieces) an most importantly Randy's guitar had stock "T-Top" pickups in it...these pickups have yet to be reissued by anyone including Gibson. Given all of these differences, I don't think Gibson will truly make an accurate replica and most likely will just take an LPC and put a signature on it. Buyers Beware!
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

ammalato wrote:Food for thought on this "Replica"...I DOUBT HIGHLY that Gibson will truly try to replicate Randy's '74 LP....this is coming from someone (me) who owns a '74/'75 Les Paul. Do a bit of googling and you'll find that guitars from this era are known as "Norlin" era gibsons referring to the period where Gibson had new management and design changes. Norlin era Gibsons are NOT very highly regarded as quality control and craftsmanship from this era was not at it's best.

There were significant design differences in '74 too. Les Pauls had a flatter contour to the top of the guitar than today. The angle of the headstock was less than today. Many of the bodies and necks were multiple pieces of wood (3 piece necks instead of 1, pancake bodies instead of 2 pieces) an most importantly Randy's guitar had stock "T-Top" pickups in it...these pickups have yet to be reissued by anyone including Gibson. Given all of these differences, I don't think Gibson will truly make an accurate replica and most likely will just take an LPC and put a signature on it. Buyers Beware!
Yea, you have a point. I don't think that they'll truly replicate it either. I'll probably just by the Whote coloured one and have someone I know custom paint it to the colour Randy had his. Much cheaper lol!
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Nobody's mentioned that Randy's guitar had T-Top Pickups in it, which from what I understand go for a lot of money nowadays.

I'm not sure if they'll reproduce these pickups, they sure as hell won't put the originals in there (They are quite rare)

The T-Top pickups aren't produced today, and they aren't what the pickups they put into today's Gibson Les Paul Customs. So, if you want to "save some money" and just buy a regular Gibson Les Paul Custom, it would be for cosmetic reasons only. They are nothing like what Randy had.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Tito wrote:lets remember that this is supposed to be the year of "all things randy" like we were told by kelly g..and weather the things coming out cost more than what most of us can afford,lets be happy that Randy is getting ALL the exposure now, that he deserved 29 years ago..whatever they ask is fine price it at 100,000 dollars,ill be just fine that randy's name keeps getting put out there..just my point of view on that..

THe only DAMN thing we are waiting for is the FOOTAGE. I Don't care about the wine, the rr amp or the guitar.. We just .... JUST want that damn footage.. What is the f*** with randy footage that can't be seen??,, I'm being very frustrated about this and find this very ridiculous.. We have a shit load of video from all others heroes who passed out but nothing from Randy. WE know something exist.. What's the damn f**** problem?!?

Sorry guys, i needed to write.. I become very frustrated with all the buzz coming from ozzy camp and now it seems nothing will happen.. again.

(sorry for my bad english too)
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Nothing will happen? It's coming out in November, calm down.

Also, Mrs. Rhoads is awfully protective of Randy's image, or has been.

Randy isn't nearly as popular as EVH (Though, we wish he was more popular) so if there was footage recorded of him, it's not TOO likely that someone will remember it after all these years.

I mean hell, from what I've read about the Palladium footage, we're damn lucky to have gotten that. The person who allegedly recorded it said that he never intended for it to be out in the public. He gave a copy to Ozzy sometime in the 90's I think. It'd be really cool if we could get a full show of Randy and Ozzy (Even better with Bob and Lee, but I'd settle for Rudy and Tommy) and from what we've speculated here by the information given to us, we WILL get a full show. (Or at least, most of a show)

What would be amazing is if Ozzy would make some sort of public announcement asking people to dig up any footage of Randy Rhoads they have. Whether Ozzy would buy the footage, fix it up, and sell it for a profit, or just tell people to release it (Assuming, not for profit) would be great.

Doubt it'd happen though.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ammalato wrote:Food for thought on this "Replica"...I DOUBT HIGHLY that Gibson will truly try to replicate Randy's '74 LP....this is coming from someone (me) who owns a '74/'75 Les Paul. Do a bit of googling and you'll find that guitars from this era are known as "Norlin" era gibsons referring to the period where Gibson had new management and design changes. Norlin era Gibsons are NOT very highly regarded as quality control and craftsmanship from this era was not at it's best.

Good point.... People have to be careful if they really want an exact replica.
Better check ebay for a real '74 then.

It's the same with that 1959RR, it doesn't exactly look like the real one, it contains a mod that (if the internals are the same...) Randy never used. We can't be sure if the other Marshalls had that same mod too. And third it was mostly used as a spare-amp. (unless the powerled was broken) And last but least it can't be an exact replica because several parts are just not made anymore. And also if they made an exact replica they even may get legal problems because of safety laws. :P (heard Marshall had to make some adjustments too before they could drop the 1959HW on the market)
The amp had the most distinctive look, I think that was probably the only reason they went for the white Marshall. If they had talked to Pete Mertons first which amp to copy they would have known it wasn't Randy's main amp. I hope the interview with Pete one day will come to surface....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.