Rare ZEUS Poster includes 8401 Mini-Amp that RR used on tour

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cyranobob

Rare ZEUS Poster includes 8401 Mini-Amp that RR used on tour

Post by Cyranobob »

Last year the topic of RR's custom ZEUS Mini-Amp practice pedal board was ever-present on both this site as well as my emails. As the artist/amp-tester for Zeus in those days (cir. 1979-1983), it is both gratifying and bittersweet to recall the excitement of those days, including the busy schedule of my own LA-based band and the connections with Randy in his days with Quiet Riot and Ozzy. I have long thought of compiling my personal collection of Zeus material into a single package, which would include my own 8401 Min-Amp, along with the various artworks I produced for the company back when we were stoked just to hear that another music store or rock artist had requested one of our beloved little blasters.

Going thru some of my "files" last month I found what I have long been looking for - a full size reproduction of the only Zeus product poster that ever existed - one I personally drawn with a Rapidograph ink pen, which took me seven nights in a row, aided mostly by my own creativity, the promise (by 'Doc', Zeus' benefactor) of 300.00 in payment, and the pipe-full of inspiration that showed one night in the person of Dominic, our rogue salesman. God only knows where the original is, but I'd give a pretty penny myself to get it back. (unless you have it, Jon)

While there were several 'known' rock layers of the day who were taken with the 8401, Randy's affection for it was both a compliment and an affirmation that we had hit the rock nail on the head in our aim to provide the hottest players with the 'toys' they most needed.

Attached is a sample of the poster in question. More will be put out later, along with whatever 'peripheral' material I can dig up. In the meantime, the real credits go to Jon Alexander Graves and Erwin 'Doc' Docstetter (RIP) who conceived, mid-wifed, and nursed that little 8401 to a life beyond it's expectations.

Randy smokes. Keep the flame.

Bob Loza - Burbank CA 2010
Attachments
ZeusPoster.jpg
Sometimes I'm glad just to be standing here.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Re: Rare ZEUS Poster includes 8401 Mini-Amp that RR used on

Post by NoQuattro »

Cool poster, and cool story. So I take it you got to meet Randy and talk about the Zeus?
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Hey, thanks for posting this. I was always curious about this little bit of technology.
Attachments
Randy's Practice Amp.jpg
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
halorising

Post by halorising »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:Hey, thanks for posting this. I was always curious about this little bit of technology.
I love seeing all the Zeus boards people are making. Some of them like this one are really good.
krandall

Post by krandall »

Bob,Thanks for posting this cool info, Randy's Zeus partice amp was awesome.
www.krmusicalproducts.com
Cyranobob

Post by Cyranobob »

NoQuattro wrote:Cool poster, and cool story. So I take it you got to meet Randy and talk about the Zeus?
Tell you the truth, while our designer and salesman were out schmoozing with local biggies, I was usually back at the shop doing artwork, testing mini-amps (i.e. playing new ones at full volume) or practicing with my own band.

I did eventually meet the guys in Quiet Riot (including Sarzo and Rhoads) when my group opened up for them at a club in Pasadena. They were cool days, indeed.
Sometimes I'm glad just to be standing here.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Wow, that thing sounds great (just heard it on youtube) would lovely a similar thing. I have a smokey amp but its not a patch on that!