Why not the Strat?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

skezza wrote: Well Eddies Frankenstrat basically was a super strat and if randy had of played one of those, he already had expressed displeasure at being reffered to as eddie, so it wouldnt have helped!
Yeah, Ed was the reason for the super strats being made in the first place. He made his guitar, recorded Eruption and the guitar companies rushed to get on the bandwagon... he said once that the reason he painted red over the original black/white was because a guitar company was copying the black/white and he wanted to stay a step ahead of whoever bought one of those...
Mr Charming

Post by Mr Charming »

A strat would not have looked as cool around Randy's neck the Les Paul gave him a cool look.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Mr Charming wrote:A strat would not have looked as cool around Randy's neck the Les Paul gave him a cool look.
the LP made him look like a midget ;)

the smaller Jacksons would've been a better fit for him :D

... or maybe a guitar like the one I built ;)
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Well I don't know if I'd exactly agree about the "midget" thing but I know he sure PLAYED it like a GIANT...... 8)
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Xanadu wrote:Well I don't know if I'd exactly agree about the "midget" thing but I know he sure PLAYED it like a GIANT...... 8)
that's true though :D
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

If you think Randy looks like a midget with a Les Paul you should see me with one :lol: .
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Ell wrote:If you think Randy looks like a midget with a Les Paul you should see me with one :lol: .
if that's the case ... it's no longer a matter of a person with a guitar ...
... it's a matter of a guitar with a person :P
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

well ive always thought the polka dot looked huge on Randy.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:) Maybe he thought it too bluesy sounding for his playing? Strat isn´t really ideal guitar for heavy sounding classical stuff, for what I think. Matter of taste really as you guys said before.
Mikel
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

stealaway wrote::) Maybe he thought it too bluesy sounding for his playing? Strat isn´t really ideal guitar for heavy sounding classical stuff, for what I think. Matter of taste really as you guys said before.
Strat to bluesy ?

LesPauls ain't the ideal for classical either ;)
... and I don't think they ever were.
Randy is the only I know of that played classical
on a LP ... other than that, the Strat has almost always
been the idealguitar for classical rock music ...

... think Blackmore ... think Uli Jon Roth ... :twisted:

I could even go as far as saying that the Strat is the most versatile
of those 2 :shock: 8)
SixPounder
Cool Member

Re: Why not the Strat?

Post by SixPounder »

Trigger wrote:I know Randy had a Strat but does anyone know why he stopped playing Strats and went on to Les Pauls? Did he use a Strat on the 2 QR albums?

I could be wrong but I just wanted to get more info on his use of Strats. :D
He used an SG first, and he kept breaking strings and having problems with it, so Kevin and the manager?

Went to guitar World and got him the Les Paul
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:wink: Yes, you´re right about Strat and Blackmore and Roth, they´re both great players, I especially like Uli Roth a lot, now he´s a classical player! so is Blackmore, with his current efforts especially, thought his playing used to have more bluesy phrasing, I think.
Mikel
SixPounder
Cool Member

Re: Why not the Strat?

Post by SixPounder »

SixPounder wrote:
Trigger wrote:I know Randy had a Strat but does anyone know why he stopped playing Strats and went on to Les Pauls? Did he use a Strat on the 2 QR albums?

I could be wrong but I just wanted to get more info on his use of Strats. :D
He used an SG first, and he kept breaking strings and having problems with it, so Kevin and the manager?

Went to Guitar Center and got him the Les Paul
heymanooh1

Post by heymanooh1 »

Les Pauls for the sustain.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'm sure i have read something about the strat being loaned from a roadie just as a second guitar.As Randy only had the Les Paul at the time and when he was gigging, if he snapped a string they had to get Kevin DuBrow to talk the pants of the crowd until the guitar was back in tune etc this was in the early days of QR.Ive seen photos of a couple of guitars that he owned including a twelve string that looked like an old Gibson thunderbird shape wood/sunburst finish with a white scratch plate.Don't come piling down my throat with the last comment i may be wrong.But in an interview in Kerrang No10 1982 it states How Many Guitars do you own and Randys reply is 6 .The photo on the inside sleeve of Tribute shows a picture of 7 guitars all the common guitars apart from his later Jackson which was being made..The photo is from Ridge farm studios during the Diary recording.This includes two acoustics and the strat with a black scratch plate in natural wood finish.The photos inside the 1980 UK tour book show Randy playing, and the guitars visible are his custom Polkadot V carl sandoval,Les Paul and the twelve string i mentioned. So the strat may belong to someone else if the total owned in 1982 was 6 confused i am... :roll: Ive just noticed in the Diary UK tour book on the equipment used page a Gibson SG is mentioned and two! not one Gibson Les pauls get mentioned Gibson Les paul and a Gibson Les Paul Custom.I know this could be a printing era but it could be true ??? :wink:
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.