Electrical Tape on Back of the Concord

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

quadrastudios

Electrical Tape on Back of the Concord

Post by quadrastudios »

I was watching an interview with Kelle Rhoads. He said that the reason there was tape on the back of the Concord was because Sharon wanted the stage completely black. And this way, all Randy had to do was flip the guitar and cover the neck with his arm and Wa La, Blackness. I would have no problem with this, but, I was told by a very reliable source that it was on their because of all the studs, chains, and belts they wore. With the tape on, It protected the back finish of the guitar. Both make sense, but I am sure only one is right. Can anybody shed any light on this?

P.S. I know the tape on Randy's White cabinets supports Kelle's reason. But I have never seen a film, photo or anything else showing Randy with his guitar flipped, which supports the second theory.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Electrical Tape on Back of the Concord

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah it makes sense i just thought it would of been there to protect the guitar. I know that Judas Priest have stick on padded guitar protectors for the same reason, to stop studs damaging the guitars. I know Randy was very much the type of guy who would of looked after his gear.

So the blacked out white of the 'V' does make sense. Plus he did open the set using that guitar. From what i can remember of the ET clip, as the portcules opens up and Randy steps out. Plus the edges of the white 4 X 12's being blacked out. But saying that i have seen those cabs without the black tape. So this would of been done later on in the tour. When the white V was on display i think TAB aka 'Tom' had a birds eye view of the guitar. I cannot remember if he said the whole of the back of the V was covered or just the top edge ?. But it may have been removed after the Rhoads family got the guitars back from Ozzy ?. The guitar has just been featured in a magazine showing the front and back. I think it was over at TK ?.
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

Actually it's duct tape. I kind of agree with both theory's .
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah it makes sense i just thought it would of been there to protect the guitar. I know that Judas Priest have stick on padded guitar protectors for the same reason, to stop studs damaging the guitars. I know Randy was very much the type of guy who would of looked after his gear.

So the blacked out white of the 'V' does make sense. Plus he did open the set using that guitar. From what i can remember of the ET clip, as the portcules opens up and Randy steps out. Plus the edges of the white 4 X 12's being blacked out. But saying that i have seen those cabs without the black tape. So this would of been done later on in the tour. When the white V was on display i think TAB aka 'Tom' had a birds eye view of the guitar. I cannot remember if he said the whole of the back of the V was covered or just the top edge ?. But it may have been removed after the Rhoads family got the guitars back from Ozzy ?. The guitar has just been featured in a magazine showing the front and back. I think it was over at TK ?.
I agree Shaun, that Randy seemed a detailed and considerate person taking care of things; but what is interesting is that his Les Paul Custom (on the back) had loads of engravings from his lessons. It is said that he turned the guitar upside down in lessons as a impromptu desk to write notes etc for his pupils. I think (I may be wrong) that Randy said to Frank (Santa cruz), that he viewed guitars as tools- and wasn't concerned about keeping them in perfect condition.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

your right matt he said that to students that the guitar is a tool and meant to be played and if it gets banged up or worn the player put those there..something like that i heard in one of his lessons
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Tito wrote:your right matt he said that to students that the guitar is a tool and meant to be played and if it gets banged up or worn the player put those there..something like that i heard in one of his lessons
I don't think he was the type that would trash his gear. I think any damage done was just down to general wear and tear. After all! most of his guitars, especially the jacksons hadn't been in his hands for more then a few months. All his guitars that have been on display to the public have been in excellent order.

Bernie Torme's guitars are WELL used tools and i'm surprised they are still in one piece. He even joked about the state of his 'Bluey' Fender strat that Ozzy gave him.

I do remember Frank talking about Randy using the back of his LP as a desk for writing out tabs and lessons etc. So i should imagine on close inspection it would be cool to see those scribed notes. :wink:
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:) Duct tape doesn´t really protect the finish that much from scratching, I tried it a bit too...but bullet-belt + studs still managed to scratch my Flying V pretty neatly! Never mind ´bout that, the tone haven´t changed...
Mikel
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I dont think Randy would have intentionally trashed his gear, but anyone that gigs on a regular basis knows that wear and tear is just part of the deal.. With that said, I buy more into the black out theory.. If he was that concerned about protecting his gear then why would he put duct tape or any kind of tape on it?? You know how hard it would be to get the tape off? And also on a white guitar over time it would leave a stain.. Also I dont ever recall hearing that his Les Paul was taped up on the back.. So I think it was for the black out reason..

Matt
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

Remedylane wrote: Also I dont ever recall hearing that his Les Paul was taped up on the back.. So I think it was for the black out reason..

Matt
There are many pictures showing the back of the Les Paul, and I can't ever remember seeing any tape on the back of it either. What I did think was odd, or maybe it's just common knowledge to most (except me) and doesn't warrant comment, was that in some pictures the back cover for the volume and tone controls appears to be covered in some kind of reflective material or maybe it was made of polished metal of some sort. I could be wrong, and it might just be a trick of light but it sure looks that way in a few of the photos I've seen.
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

Here is one of the photos I've seen with the "polished" cover. It kind of looks like shielding tape. I've heard of the shielding the cavity but it's usually done on the inside, not the outside.

NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Given that he upgraded his poker chip (and truss rod cover too?) to brass, it very well could be brass or some other metal.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

WAR IN D wrote:Here is one of the photos I've seen with the "polished" cover. It kind of looks like shielding tape. I've heard of the shielding the cavity but it's usually done on the inside, not the outside.

yeah, im thinking its probably a brass plate like he had for the poker chip.