HOLY SHIT!!!!.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Hey Matt,

Would never claim to be the most sane person in the world, lol!!!! You trying to be funny or something? LMAO!!!!!! :):)
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Great Post Ted, I was lucky enough to see 'Bark at the moon' rock N 'Roll rebal' 'Forever' and 'So tired' played live the very first time! it was the first night of the tour and the album wasn't out so none of us had heard Jake play songs with Ozzy that he had created himself, bigger than that this was the first time any non Randy Rhoads songs had been played by Ozzy's own band!
The night was electric with aticipation and I can tell you that those songs hit us like a hammer, Jake was stunning and you could tell he was like Randy, in that he wasn't a copy of another generic guitarist.
Considering that I wonder if Brad had had the chance or the inclanation to write an album with Ozzy, perhaps some people might have judged him better.
I also (ted) remember reading that Brad was offered the job but refused it! very sad indeed, I think he did a great job and was very capable.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Trigger wrote:Great Post Ted, I was lucky enough to see 'Bark at the moon' rock N 'Roll rebal' 'Forever' and 'So tired' played live the very first time! it was the first night of the tour and the album wasn't out so none of us had heard Jake play songs with Ozzy that he had created himself, bigger than that this was the first time any non Randy Rhoads songs had been played by Ozzy's own band!
The night was electric with aticipation and I can tell you that those songs hit us like a hammer, Jake was stunning and you could tell he was like Randy, in that he wasn't a copy of another generic guitarist.
Considering that I wonder if Brad had had the chance or the inclanation to write an album with Ozzy, perhaps some people might have judged him better.
I also (ted) remember reading that Brad was offered the job but refused it! very sad indeed, I think he did a great job and was very capable.
I would have loved to have seen that show, interestingly today I re-read an interview with Bob Daisley where he stated that he and Jake wrote "So Tired" together, I always loved Jake's solo in that song and I remember Jake saying he really liked the song "until they smaltzed it all up with strings". Much like the rest of BATM to my ear, it does have a very "Randy-ish" feel to it. Never thought about BATM sounding like "Sultans of Swing" but now that Matt mentions it, I can see the similarity. One thing you can say for Ozzy/Sharon is that they do have a knack for finding great guitar players. Through the years I have a developed a deep appreciation for what Randy did and what he was as a guitar player and I hope, and I mean sincerely hope that no one who reads my post takes anything I say as disrespect or taking away from one of the truly greatest guitar players we will ever see.

Ted
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I wish you had been there as well Ted you can even hear me on the boot from that show shouting during the KB' intro to Mr Crowley, it was only spoiled by Carmine Appice on drums who filled every space with a crappy riff! Tommy knows when to leave spaces Carmine just crams them in regardless of them working or not.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
DoubleT

Post by DoubleT »

Funny you should say that about Carmine Appice. I have a bootleg from the BATM tour and was surprised how spare and straight ahead he kept things (being a drummer myself). Tommy Aldridge was notorious for cramming every song full of a million double bass drum fills and licks. Which he did to brilliant effect. But still . . . as far as drummers go, he was VERY busy.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

DoubleT wrote:Funny you should say that about Carmine Appice. I have a bootleg from the BATM tour and was surprised how spare and straight ahead he kept things (being a drummer myself). Tommy Aldridge was notorious for cramming every song full of a million double bass drum fills and licks. Which he did to brilliant effect. But still . . . as far as drummers go, he was VERY busy.
M too!! a drummer that is :D I accept that things like this all come down to taste and personel style.

I would rather hear Tommy playing these tracks than any other drummer who has played them.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I too am a drummer & I agree w/both sides,But Lee IS THE DRUMMER .They wrote those songs w/him & his playing on the records is Perfect for what they were doing.Remember he was the Fortieth drummer they tried out,Then it all "Came Together".
He played Over the Mountain with One Bassdrum!
But Tommy is Fantastic too.When I was like 15 I thought the US Touring band was the best
But after listining to Tribute & a few Better sounding bootlegs for years & years,then I listened to the Live Mr.Crowley picture disk
for the 1st time in years & was blown away,The sound of the original band was tighter in a strange way,because there is no denying how tight they were
w/Tommy but its a whole different vibe.Mabey Sharon was right in firing Bob & Lee,but thats an unfair comparrison,I just think the guys on the record
were the "Original" and how the songs were initally meant to be played.So if Randy hadnt a say,in their fireing,he would have to make the best of it,but that had to suck for him.Unless he really said "how are we supposed to take on America w that lot,theyre geeks" & Voted to fire them?
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

I'd be surprised if Randy had much of a say when it came to their firing. He would have known that without Bob it was going to be him and Ozzy trying to write the lyrics. Bob has said how Ozzy and Sharon made it obvious from the 1980 UK tour that they wanted Tommy in....but then Oz would later fire Tommy for the drums on BATM sounding "too thin". What a soap opera! Maybe the ultimate compromise is keep Lee for all studio work, and have Tommy play live...totally impactical though...
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I heard Tommy quit in 1985-ish because he got tired of seeing Ozzy drink himself stupid every day, and getting really high everyday too.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

That's also probably true Cryptic. Ozzy's version of any event can be a bit one-sided :lol:
DoubleT

Post by DoubleT »

Tommy said in Modern Drummer magazine that he quit and/or was fired after recording BATM because of a dispute over the mix. They didn't even keep one of his bass drums in the mix - for starters (this was corrected I notice on the 2002 re-master). That would be like trading for Roy Halladay and using him as a setup man or something (bad analogy but you get my point hopefully)!

Plus he also said later the "fire was gone" after Randy died, and that he stayed on for as long as he did to try to help get Ozzy to a place where he had a more permanent replacement (Jake E Lee). Certainly a noble cause but I am sure getting a paycheck had something to do with it too. And also probably the desire to get on a studio album and get some % points....

While on this subject - Carmine Appice was fired because he didn't get on with Sharon. It was mainly an ego thing. He was doing drum clinics while on the road, selling t-shirts and acting too much like "an artist in his own right" for Sharon's taste. Doing the drum solo with glowing drumsticks and singing etc. I don't know why any of that could possibly been any kind of real threat to the Osbournes . . . but we know how they are. That was his story anyway. He had a good quote at the time. "I've worked with a lot of prestigious people in this business . . . and Ozzy is definitely not one of them." Then Tommy came back to finish the tour. It would have been cool had the video from the tour included Carmine though - just for historical purposes. Would have been neat to see that lineup on that particular Haunted House stage.

I agree with you guys. Tommy was incredible, and definitely, Lee Kerslake was the Man. He gave those first two albums such a great feel. His playing on DOAM is particuarly inspired all the way through. While we're talking drummers, I think it was interesting they went with Randy Castillo after Tommy. ..another fine player and someone who in my opinion brought back a little bit more of a Kerslake feel to the music.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Speaking of Carmine, here he is in all his glory. '83 show, pro-shot with Jake. I've never seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGse8qgxdz0
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

As a non drummer I can honestly say that where as many drum solos on live concerts have bored me, Tommy's one on the Tribute is to me as exciting as Randy's spotlight solo!!

Also he has eternal youth! he looked 50 when he was 30 and now in his 60's (?) looks 50 still! I better he never thought looking 50 all those years in his youth would be a blessing!! lol
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

NoQuattro wrote:Speaking of Carmine, here he is in all his glory. '83 show, pro-shot with Jake. I've never seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGse8qgxdz0
Hey guys, long time lurker.. first time poster..

Love the vid, but did they have something against Jake here? I can see him, but I can't here him. LOL!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

AWSOME VIDEO !!See Ive been collecting boots and looking online for years & years & then this turns up on Youtube,Great Quality Too! IN STEREO
If this randy footage is even Remotely close to this WE ARE DESTINED FOR GREATNESS!And it sounds Fantastic too!When it cuts to the camera by the soundboard i get excited,because it looks Just Like the stages on the US Blizzard tour & the US Diary tour B-shows