Randys White/Cream LesPaul Custom

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Randys White/Cream LesPaul Custom

Post by Stiltzkin »

A post I made in the 25th Anniversary thread earlier today
made me think about Randys LesPaul Custom.

What do we really know about it?

Was it a mahogany back with a maple top or was it
just mahogany but with a curved top ?

What about the pickups?
We know(atleast I think so) that they were stock,
but is any other specs than that known ?
Did they have a PAF-like output or were they
even hotter than that ?!

Heck, if Gibson doesn't build a Randy Rhoads replica I'd
consider building one myself :evil: :twisted:
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Stilt,
they were stock pickups your correct. It was a 70/71/72 Les Paul custom, with no maple cap i dont believe. It was an arch finish. Any of this info wrong, put me right peeps!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

skezza wrote:Stilt,
they were stock pickups your correct. It was a 70/71/72 Les Paul custom, with no maple cap i dont believe. It was an arch finish. Any of this info wrong, put me right peeps!
yeah I know they were stock but I was more curious about the output :D

hmm, I heard it was a '74 :?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

According J. T. (John Thomas, Budgie's guitarplayer) it was a 1972 Les Paul.

Budgie supported the "Blizzard Of Ozz" on their first tour. Their guitarplayer J.T. became very good friends with Randy. He had a huge Gibson collection and let Randy try a lot of his guitars. Randy asked him how old his Les Paul was and J.T. told him that it was a 1972. Randy was a little upset after that because he always thought it was a 1963..... (!)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Flying Dutchman wrote:According J. T. (John Thomas, Budgie's guitarplayer) it was a 1972 Les Paul.
Oh ok, cool :D

I'll ask Gibson about the pickups then ;)
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

I've heard many people say that the bell shaped truss cover on randy's lp was in fact gold but I have yet to see any photographic evidence.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

You know the one question that has remained on my mind about the LP is simply this.....WHERE IS IT. We've seen the PDV out, we've even seen the Jackson white w/pinstripe out but, I have yet to see the LP out since Randy's death. I'm not pissed about this so, don't think I'm freaking out or anything.... :lol: I'm just curious if it is "with Randy". Seems fitting wouldn't you say?
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Big P.....I think that is a very legit question. I think it would be absolutely appropriate for it to be with Randy. What better place for it to be, in my opinion. It was his favorite guitar according to many articles over the years. I would doubt very much if the Rhoads family would ever confirm this though because of fears of vandalism at his gravesite. There are many ghouls out there.......sad but true.
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

As far as I know, all the guitars are stuffed away in a vault. (And that's where they should be, IMO) :wink:
rickhawk80

Post by rickhawk80 »

Delores has them all locked up tight in a vault. She has not used them at Musonia or maintained them (new strings, etc.), so to speak. I recall a story about how when they got the PDV out to use for the "Crazy Train" Tribute video the strings were all rusted and there was an open pack of Randy's cigarettes still lying in the case.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

rickhawk80 wrote:I recall a story about how when they got the PDV out to use for the "Crazy Train" Tribute video the strings were all rusted and there was an open pack of Randy's cigarettes still lying in the case.
I think Ozzy mentions that on the Don't blame me DVD :)
rickhawk80

Post by rickhawk80 »

Yep -- you're right. :wink: I knew I'd seen it somewhere.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Xanadu wrote:Big P.....I think that is a very legit question. I think it would be absolutely appropriate for it to be with Randy. What better place for it to be, in my opinion. It was his favorite guitar according to many articles over the years. I would doubt very much if the Rhoads family would ever confirm this though because of fears of vandalism at his gravesite. There are many ghouls out there.......sad but true.
My thoughts exactly! :wink: 8)
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

"I Don't Know".... :wink: :D but, I'm still going with the theory that it's with him.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Tommy wrote:As far as I know, all the guitars are stuffed away in a vault. (And that's where they should be, IMO) :wink:
That is your opinion and I respect that but, I think they should be with their rightful owner....Randy!! Atleast the LP. :) Stuffed away in a vault....for what reason?