RR and EVH

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

gtraddict

Post by gtraddict »

Tito wrote:do you think eddie may have had someone he knew take a lesson or lessons from randy and have him/her come back and demonstrate what was taught to eddie?purely hypothetical!!
And they met on the grassy knoll in Dallas to trade info ......

EVH and Randy are two TOTALLY different players. Edward is very loose and outside the box, while Randy is very structured and methodical. Neither one of them copped the other - at least so far as I can tell - they both had too much class for that. They each did their own thing - and did it quite well.
[url=http://www.vintagecharvels.com/][img]http://www.vintagecharvels.com/images/avatars/sig_blk.gif[/img][/url]
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

gtraddict wrote:
Tito wrote:do you think eddie may have had someone he knew take a lesson or lessons from randy and have him/her come back and demonstrate what was taught to eddie?purely hypothetical!!
And they met on the grassy knoll in Dallas to trade info ......

EVH and Randy are two TOTALLY different players. Edward is very loose and outside the box, while Randy is very structured and methodical. Neither one of them copped the other - at least so far as I can tell - they both had too much class for that. They each did their own thing - and did it quite well.
Very well put.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
gtraddict

Post by gtraddict »

Remedylane wrote:I always catch a lot of flak for this in my local musician circle, but I always thought EVH played much cooler rhythms than he did leads.. And I personally LOVE Van Hagar.. I thought Balance was a great album.. Again, I know im in a very small minority, but wanted to voice my opinion too!

Matt
You won't catch any flak here - I agree with you 100%. My only beef with Van Hagar is the tone, not the chops. I would love to hear some of that stuff with the Fair Warning era tone.
[url=http://www.vintagecharvels.com/][img]http://www.vintagecharvels.com/images/avatars/sig_blk.gif[/img][/url]
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Oh I agree, his tone in the Van Hagar era was over processed and washed out.. Glad someone agrees with me though.. I agree, Balance with his older tone would have been awesome..
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lets not forget diver down!!!alex and eddie's tone were fuckin awesome!!!!!!!!
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Ed may (and I stress may) be the best rhythm player ever in hard rock, his tone on those first 6 records is probably something everyone who played guitar tried to emulate at some point. His live tone when I saw him with Van Hagar (especially on the 5150 tour) was great, but was not nearly as good on record. The first amps he did with Peavey (5150) had some great tones in them, but they were extremely "touchy" when it came to overdoing it with gain, the 5150 II was so screwed up that Peavey almost would not release the amp. Ed's "high gain" hearing has deteriorated it seems over the years (understandable) and VH were on tour while the 5150 II was in development. The first prototypes he signed off on had way too much gain and were extremely "high ended" so Peavey waited until he had been off tour for awhile before sending him any more to let his hearing have a little rest, or at least that's the story the fellas at Peavey have told me. Gotta say, irregardless of what you think of him or his playing, and no disrespect to any other guitar players (esp. Randy), Ed will always be the man. He changed the game completely, and I have to agree with you Tito, "Diver Down" has maybe his best tone. I love his sound on "Hang Em' High", I watched the dvd of their Largo, Md. show off of that tour the other night and was quickly reminded of why nobody could touch them during that time period.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I agree about the rhythm playing.. Ive said that for years to other musicans and they look at me as if I have lobsters crawling out of my ears..
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Remedylane wrote:I agree about the rhythm playing.. Ive said that for years to other musicans and they look at me as if I have lobsters crawling out of my ears..
Yeah and that's funny because even Ed has said that he has always considered rhythm playing to be the most important thing you do as a guitarist. I love his lead work also, I don't think there will ever be anyone as good as Ed when it comes to playing an "off the cuff" solo and it being one of the best things you've ever heard in your life, and his solo tone is just amazing not to mention his intonation (especially considering how he plays lead) is just incredible. But, having said that, his rhythm playing to me is even better, I could listen to those first 6 records without solos (with the possible exceptions of things like "Eruption, Cathedral, etc."), and still be blown away by his rhythm playing and tone.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I was never a huge fan of his leads.. Again, hes a badass! Im not knocking him.. But they never really grabbed me like they did others.. But his lead tone was fabulous. I pretty much agree with everything everyone says about him, just that I guess im not as big of a fan of his lead playing. Glad someone finally agrees with me about his rhythm playing though..
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Hey Remedy, it isn't just you, 'Ted', and 'gtraddict' who think it. Back in the 80s Michael Schenker gave an interview where he said the thing that impressed him most about Eddie was his rhythm playing.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I need a better class of musician friends! Haha.. :)
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Absolutely! :lol:
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

HIS RYTHME is stellar.Hes got great groove.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Gus wrote:Hey Remedy, it isn't just you, 'Ted', and 'gtraddict' who think it. Back in the 80s Michael Schenker gave an interview where he said the thing that impressed him most about Eddie was his rhythm playing.
I'd second that 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Bacon= bass
Lettuce= rhythm
Tomato= lead

:D It's all good
Attachments
baconlettucetomatobassrhythmlead.jpg