Claims of Footage

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I've got some thoughts about the footage Ozzy mentioned in his Twitter feed.

Someone posting on Metal Sludge claimed to have asked Ozzy about the footage at a recent book signing -- where it was from, etc. Ozzy is reported to have replied, "I'm not sure, I think from the Palladium, but it is fuckin' fantastic, I was truly blown away by how good it is."

If Ozzy really said this (and that's a big "if"), then it's possible that he's talking about the 8 mm film footage from the NY Palladium that we've seen all along. Remember, "never before seen footage" to Ozzy could easily mean footage that half the Ozzy fans in the world have already seen.

If this does prove to be the known Palladium footage, one of the following could happen:

A) It will be presented as we've always seen and heard it, only in a speed-corrected version, as every copy I've seen to date runs too fast (i.e., filmed at one speed, but projected back at a higher frame rate and pitch). I can't imagine them releasing it with that sped-up sound, anyway.

B) The original audio will be judged unacceptable by the Ozzy camp, so the visuals alone will be speed-corrected and synchronized with tracks from Tribute. As bad an idea as this sounds, it would save them the trouble of replacing/overdubbing Ozzy's voice, which is the usual procedure on official live Ozzy releases -- live albums and live videos (the Live Mr. Crowley EP being an exception).

I hope I'm wrong, and it turns out to be footage "never before seen" by any of us. That would be fantastic. However, the simplest explanation is often the right one, and I can't shake the feeling that Ozzy finally saw a copy of what some of us have been watching for twenty-plus years.

That said, I'd definitely shell out for an improved-quality version of the Palladium footage.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

palladium would be possible, it used to be a commen place to play, and probably had in house cameras. i really REALLY hope its not the footage quality weve seen but im afraid of that. its ust going to be that but full show or half show, or aybe the end solo to believer? idk ozzy seems phyced so we never know
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I don't think there's any more of the Palladium home movie footage beyond what we've seen. I've always heard the bootlegger was there to film Motorhead's opening set. He obviously got a small portion of Ozzy's set, too, but that wasn't his focus. A shame, as it's an absolutely killer performance, speed issues or not. Randy rocks the fucking house on that one.

Having just seen the picture with Ozzy and Peter Margolis, though, I'm now thinking that the Metal Sludge quote was fiction, and the probable explanation is that Peter just showed him the raw footage from the Entertainment Tonight segment, which we already know he's got. It's December 1981, so it fits.
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

I know for fact that there is no more palladium footage than what we have. Cornelius is dead on!
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

damn. fingers crossed ozzy was wrong. if he gives up palladium from what we already have...
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

Okay, I thought that was the case. Damn. I can't remember what the story was, whether the guy ran out of film or not. Whatever it was, he wasn't there to film Ozzy, so it's actually kind of a miracle we've got any footage at all from that night.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

yeah. i think we have all the footage were gona get from that show. honestly though i believe theres more out there. even with all the romeo rose's and the loony toonies.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Cornelius wrote:I don't think there's any more of the Palladium home movie footage beyond what we've seen. I've always heard the bootlegger was there to film Motorhead's opening set. He obviously got a small portion of Ozzy's set, too, but that wasn't his focus. A shame, as it's an absolutely killer performance, speed issues or not. Randy rocks the fucking house on that one.

Having just seen the picture with Ozzy and Peter Margolis, though, I'm now thinking that the Metal Sludge quote was fiction, and the probable explanation is that Peter just showed him the raw footage from the Entertainment Tonight segment, which we already know he's got. It's December 1981, so it fits.
I would just think that Ozzy would say its footage from ET. I mean if thats all it is I will be estatic, but Im still holding out hope for a full show. I wanna see Randy at his best.. You can tell a huge difference in Randys playing on all the bootleg cds out there as compared to something like After Hours.. After Hours is cool but playing to an empty studio and playing for 10,000 fans is a totally different energy.. Just like how I play like ass at band practice but I come alive for our gigs.. I guess time will tell on this one.. Lets all keep our fingers crossed..

Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

yeah. id love to see the king biscuit show in '82. the keyboards cut out during his 2nd solo for a portion aand it sounds sweet!
FiddlePickr

Post by FiddlePickr »

Somebody clue me in on what happened overnight while I slept: what happened with that person trying to sell footage?
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

FiddlePickr wrote:Somebody clue me in on what happened overnight while I slept: what happened with that person trying to sell footage?
It was just a bogus claim by somebody starved for attention and going about getting the attention in a totally inappropiate manner . :roll:
Last edited by Ritchie on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
................................................................Image...............................................................................
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

FiddlePickr wrote:Somebody clue me in on what happened overnight while I slept: what happened with that person trying to sell footage?
He was delusional and a liar. And he was really disrespectful towards the Rhoads family and some of Randy's friends.

Oh and he uesed really poor logic. You didn't miss much.
FiddlePickr

Post by FiddlePickr »

I came home from work sick and checked in and read the post and was excited that it could be the big one, and then crashed out. What a dissappointment to wake up to, and yet, it really was too good to be true!
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

Remedylane wrote:I would just think that Ozzy would say its footage from ET. I mean if thats all it is I will be estatic, but Im still holding out hope for a full show. I wanna see Randy at his best.. You can tell a huge difference in Randys playing on all the bootleg cds out there as compared to something like After Hours.. After Hours is cool but playing to an empty studio and playing for 10,000 fans is a totally different energy.. Just like how I play like ass at band practice but I come alive for our gigs.. I guess time will tell on this one.. Lets all keep our fingers crossed..

Matt
Hi Matt-

The thing is, Ozzy hasn't given us much of a description yet. You think he'd be anxious to give us all the details -- but then, Ozzy has a way of confounding my expectations. I never expected him to mutilate his two greatest albums over a royalty dispute, but there it is.

I'm going with the Entertainment Tonight explanation for now because (judging by a photo that was posted in the now-deleted HMH thread) it looks like Peter Margolis and Ozzy got together recently. It's only natural that Peter would screen the ET footage for Ozzy, and that Ozzy would have a favorable reaction.

As far as we know, the ET footage is the only rare footage from 1981 that Peter has yet uncovered. So Ozzy meets with a guy who has rare footage from 1981, has his picture taken with him in front of a big-screen TV, then publicly mentions seeing rare footage from 1981. Unless something new has come to light, it's likely the ET footage.
Phineas J

Post by Phineas J »

Cornelius wrote:
Remedylane wrote:I would just think that Ozzy would say its footage from ET. I mean if thats all it is I will be estatic, but Im still holding out hope for a full show. I wanna see Randy at his best.. You can tell a huge difference in Randys playing on all the bootleg cds out there as compared to something like After Hours.. After Hours is cool but playing to an empty studio and playing for 10,000 fans is a totally different energy.. Just like how I play like ass at band practice but I come alive for our gigs.. I guess time will tell on this one.. Lets all keep our fingers crossed..

Matt
Hi Matt-

The thing is, Ozzy hasn't given us much of a description yet. You think he'd be anxious to give us all the details -- but then, Ozzy has a way of confounding my expectations. I never expected him to mutilate his two greatest albums over a royalty dispute, but there it is.

I'm going with the Entertainment Tonight explanation for now because (judging by a photo that was posted in the now-deleted HMH thread) it looks like Peter Margolis and Ozzy got together recently. It's only natural that Peter would screen the ET footage for Ozzy, and that Ozzy would have a favorable reaction.

As far as we know, the ET footage is the only rare footage from 1981 that Peter has yet uncovered. So Ozzy meets with a guy who has rare footage from 1981, has his picture taken with him in front of a big-screen TV, then publicly mentions seeing rare footage from 1981. Unless something new has come to light, it's likely the ET footage.
Good points.

However, Ozzy said HE will be sharing it on dvd. If it is IN the doc, why would Ozzy be releasing it? Sounds odd. Unless of course Peter will use the clips of it and then Ozzy will share it all on an upcoming DVD to promote his new cd. This is all speculation, but if Oz did say it was the Palladium, then maybe it will be something more.

Unfortunately until an official release about it is issued, we will have to hope and pray that it is quality material.