Randy Rhoads & Buckethead

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

nah, he uses these finger extender thingys.

Simon
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Good points K,
Playing with Ozzy was a blessing and a curse, imho. On one hand, he was part of a band that had a real record deal and tours that brought him in front of audiences all over N. America and Europe.
On the other, most reviewers dismissed the band's performances simply because they were in a band with Ozzy Osbourne, who in that point in time, was a cross between a circus geek and the antichrist. So the majority overlook Rhoads because even though we know better, he is written off as a 'hair-metal guitarist' by most.
Pure speculation here, but the above may have been part of him wanting to leave the band, as his reputation was taking damge as he was percieved as part of a carnival attraction by the general public.
For the record, when I make lengthy posts, (more often than not), the paragraph breaks disappear once my reply is posted.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

JustTakeAPebble wrote:nah, he uses these finger extender thingys.

Simon
Are you winding me up? :lol:
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

nope.

Simon
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Well Randy Rhoads and Buckethead are my main influences...
Buckethead did a great cover of crazy train too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRirHjeANQg . You can hear some of Randy's licks in his live work and he gots a song that is based on Diary of a Madman :).

Here's a pic of my room.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krgarni
Cool Member

Post by krgarni »

Well, the question was, and it was a good one I might add. Would Randy have liked Buckethead? In my opinion, he would have thought the bucket biz funny and very amusing. But wierd and original at the same time. As far as his playing, personally I think the guy kicks ass. He uses alot of Randy tricks and that would have made an impression on Randy. He was always trying to get a different sound out of a guitar and that why he liked Ronson and Buxton so much. I really think he would have given this guy more than 5 minutes. He is definatley interesting to say the least and that would have captured Randy's interest. Dudes gotta a great wha wha foot too! This is the kind of shit we should be talking about!
krandall

Post by krandall »

krgarni wrote:Well, the question was, and it was a good one I might add. Would Randy have liked Buckethead? In my opinion, he would have thought the bucket biz funny and very amusing. But wierd and original at the same time. As far as his playing, personally I think the guy kicks ass. He uses alot of Randy tricks and that would have made an impression on Randy. He was always trying to get a different sound out of a guitar and that why he liked Ronson and Buxton so much. I really think he would have given this guy more than 5 minutes. He is definatley interesting to say the least and that would have captured Randy's interest. Dudes gotta a great wha wha foot too! This is the kind of shit we should be talking about!
Cool, On the wha wha foot qoute you meant his foot action on wah wah pedal right(grins).Rock on,Kevin
www.krmusicalproducts.com
krgarni
Cool Member

Post by krgarni »

Maybe next time I'll do a song with this guy about all the weeds I have growing in my front and even worse, my back yard. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about.
krgarni
Cool Member

Post by krgarni »

My bad. I totally contradicted myself and strayed off the subject. But seriously. I'm gonna contact this guy. It sounds like it could be fun, he obviously likes Randy as proven by the Crazy Train cover, and he sure likes to hit on that toggle. That's totally Randy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I've always liked that tune Binge and Grab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-nH4-C1nQ :)
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Stiltzkin wrote:I've always liked that tune Binge and Grab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-nH4-C1nQ :)
That is one of my favorite Buckethead songs to play. There's a little bit of Crazy Train in Welcome To Bucketheadland ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKYEwwrkkM ).

Buckethead does Van Halen too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYFdBNpJAA
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

Randy was great, and possibly a creative "genius." However, most of the true genious of guitar playing can be found among little known players outside the musician community.

For example, Ted Greene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Greene) is considered a modern day genius of guitar playing - who here has ever heard him play? I have, but only because my good friend took lessons from Ted over a 12-tear period and turned me onto him.

The "best" players are likely those without wide reputations...Hendrix aside.

Regards,
Gary
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Remember Randy Rhoads wrote:
Randy did do that flashy speedy stuff that we all love, but i could have sworn i read somewhere that he didn't like to do it.

Randy would have probably been flattered by Buckethead's playing. Randy had a knack for being able to play out of key, yet remain transparent in the overall song bringing disadence and a mood change and he also went out of his way to write quirky, abstract phrasings, almost like a signature. Buckethead is a very abstract player as well and there is a connection in there somewhere I feel.

I left music in 1999 and quit playing the guitar seriously until 2006, when I heard Buckethead playing for GnR, the song Night Train on a youtube clip. I checked into BH a little deeper and fell back in love with playing and writing music again. He was a breath of fresh air, so to speak, that broke up the steamy lump rock music and rock guitar had become by that point in time.

Randy would have to respect the dudes technique, it's immaculate to say the least.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

McLowery wrote:Randy would have to respect the dudes technique, it's immaculate to say the least.
+1

Like other people said; I think Buckethead can play everything.