Day on the green '81 filmed? (check out this photo)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Day on the green '81 filmed? (check out this photo)

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

And have a closer look here:
Looks like a screen or something. Could that be a camera?
It would be a perfect position to film......
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So the lineup was:

Heart
Blue Öyster Cult
Pat Travers
Loverboy
Ozzy Osbourne

With Heart being the headliners... so if there were cameras, isn't it likely that they were there to film the headliners - Heart and B.O.C? Ozzy was a nothing act at the time and everyone assumed that if he made a comeback, he and his band would be around for a long time.

In other words, I really doubt it was filmed...
The Flying Dutchman

Paul Wolfe wrote:so if there were cameras, isn't it likely that they were there to film the headliners - Heart and B.O.C?
Is it likely they filmed things in the first place for the festival archives themselves with no further intentions?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:So the lineup was:

Heart
Blue Öyster Cult
Pat Travers
Loverboy
Ozzy Osbourne

With Heart being the headliners... so if there were cameras, isn't it likely that they were there to film the headliners - Heart and B.O.C? Ozzy was a nothing act at the time and everyone assumed that if he made a comeback, he and his band would be around for a long time.

In other words, I really doubt it was filmed...
It would be different if footage of all the other bands was available and non of Ozzy. But just like the AC/DC footage from the D.O.T.G 1979. It was amature 8mm recording. Which if any film does ever appear from this show i think thats all it will be, someones personal recorded home movie. Which would be interesting to see, but just not as good as pro film. It's always these two gigs which get the footage question ? HMH and DOTG Why ? is it because of the large crowd and the odds being higher ?. For the amount of people at both shows. How many different collections of still photos have we seen from different photographers. I think we can say 4 for HMH and about 6 for DOTG which is a very small amount. We know that more photos would of been taking but they just have not been made available.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

what makes me wonder Shaun about audience/pro filming of DOTG and HMH is why they were not recorded? yes I know video cameras were huge and lots of people had 8mm equipment so why haven't these shows ever surfaced?
I was recently sent a recording of David Bowie recorded in 1976 at a small venue in Britain this hasn't yet surfaced and though scratcy in quality was complete and recorded from the audience to the side of the stage.
Knowing that this only just got out and was from 1976 and considering that Randy isn't on anybodys Radar the chances remain strong that footage of these shows exists, we know One pro shot Ozzy show was made and we only just got confirmation of that here at UR from Dave, not to mention 3 other audience recording one form 81 and two from 82. I have seen other audience recorded Ozzy shows from two after Randy's sad passing so for me this means it is very likely indeed we will see those big festivals come our way.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

yeah i mean you would think theyd record stuff like that. and itd be so nice to finally have a fully recorded VIDEO of a concert. especially pro footage. that would be brilliant. saying that no one recorded anything is just not true. i mean comon.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Re: Day on the green '81 filmed? (check out this photo)

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Image

And have a closer look here:
Looks like a screen or something. Could that be a camera?
It would be a perfect position to film......
Simple explanation.

That's the "soundboard" area.

No video ... sorry.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

At first looking at the photo i believe its just a PA monitor(which i still believe it is)

However immediately to left of that looks exactly like one of the old TV camera standalone stands for mounting a camera on top. You can see clearly where it comes up then angles towards the top.

whoever has the original full size(hopefully there is a bigger one of it, or if we can find out who took it then that helps even more) send it to me. I have tons of photo stuff i could enlarge it and get it a bit clearer during zooming in closer. Just need the biggest original first.

More i look at that though the more it does look exactly like camera base stand. I was at a red sox game last night and they still look like that to this day!

The only sad part is that it looks like its point at the ground :(
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:so if there were cameras, isn't it likely that they were there to film the headliners - Heart and B.O.C?
Is it likely they filmed things in the first place for the festival archives themselves with no further intentions?
Sure, I guess that's possible. I just have doubts because no video of any of those bands has surfaced over the years. It just seems that something from any of those bands would have been mentioned somewhere.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Doesn't look like a camera to me more likely some kind of soundboard gear. A camera would rarely need a monitor that big, plus the position would be ok of a dead on look at stage but to tight to do anything else with the camera. :?

There is the possibility of amateur/audience filming, but honestly this is not too likely either. There is a reason why we are not inundated with super 8 films from the era;

A) Less people own cameras than you would expect.
B) buying a super 8 camera is one thing getting sound as well is a different matter. It would require a completely different piece of equipment + an expensive camera if it was going to cynq up correctly.

Don't mean to be pessimistic, it is possible stuff exists, after all what we currently have proves that.

But work through the possibilty rationaly and the likelyhood of amateur footage disolves rapidly. :(

Does anyone know when the first VHS or similar cameras came out :?:

Rob
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

According to the miracel of wikipedia ( :roll: :lol: )

VHS came out 1982
Betacam 1983

too late for Day on the green :cry:

so amatuer stuff would have to be super 8 which makes sound.

Anyway this is straying from the debate over whether or not the square block is a camera so enough of it... But it is relevant to the debate of new footage as a whole :)

Rob
The Flying Dutchman

JMPMKII wrote: More i look at that though the more it does look exactly like camera base stand. I was at a red sox game last night and they still look like that to this day!

The only sad part is that it looks like its point at the ground :(
To me it looks like a person watching with his head down..... But like you said it could be a camera stand as well.

Yes, it's all speculating. Too bad we don't have a better copy of this photo.
One thing though: somebody asked Lyndsy Bridgewater once if he remembered any filming during his Ozzy/Randy days. And he said he did remember camera people while they played on DOTG. (without asking him in specifically about DOTG was filmed or not)
But then again, one would expect some evidence in the photos being made. :?

Another thing, I saw a youtube clip from Lynyrd Skynyrd playing DOTG in '77. It was filmed from all kind of angles. But I couldn't detect any cams either and I really tried hard...... :? (not in the footage, and not in a few photos from that gig, no cams or filmpeople either, yet it was filmed.....)
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

I think we are all going to have to agree to disagree. General acceptance of an opinion is not assurance of it's truth ! :lol:
I have to believe realistically that there may very well be footage. I was looking up the song "Hey Joe", Jimmy Hendrix, and came across all types of footage on Jimmy. Hours and hours of it. His career spanned 4 years, 1966-1970. With hardly a close or stable family life, who shot all that footage?
At that time he didn't have the means to hire pros! :roll:

Back in the day 1977 forward Bosch Fernseh and Image Transform had developed a system that could do portable shoots with ease in conjunction with 3/4" U matic VCR's. Bulky yes, but it was common place. As well Steadicams were frequently used.

The Rhoads are a close knit family.I suspect at the time the Rhoads, as well as close friends ,did have Home Movie Cameras. If you look at" Picking up the Pieces", the In the home shots, and studio, look to be that type of camera, and it was someone close who shot it. It just makes sense, that people close to Randy shot footage. I can understand why the Rhoads, close friends, or even the Dubrows would be reluctant to release what is dear to them. With the chance of exploitation, denigration or the possibility of someone profiting upon what rightfully belongs to them.

Other than money being made to contribute to scholarship funds or charities in Randy's name, I can't see the Rhoads, Dubrows or anyone close, ready to release anything soon. After all, the Rhoads have had over 20 years of experience with vultures, who knew how to take advantage of, and profit by, their unawareness to how unethical some can be when it comes to money.

I believe there is DOTG footage some where. Last night I found DOTG of
Led Zepplin, and Judas Priest, 1977. And if you don't believe Sharon was having her sequined embellished, husband, filmed every second of those tours, or at this particular venue, you are truly naive ! :? What was up with that outfit anyway ? Yikes ! :roll:

No mater how impatient some may get, if someone decides to release footage, they will not do it, until they are good and ready, and not one minute before.
I believe because of it's private and personal nature, we may never see much of the Rhoads family footage. It is they're family after all.

Who knows, maybe the code of silence and the booty you all crave, will go down with the "Black Pearl", and Cpt. Randy Sparrow at the helm, never to resurface again ! :wink:

Just deserves Mattey's ! :lol: :fish:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Fishychops!!

It is Jimi, not Jimmy!! me hartey

Cpt Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt