Randys funeral a fiasco?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose
Cool Member

Randys funeral a fiasco?

Post by romeorose »

I was reading in Guitar for the Practicing Musician August 1990 today, where one of Randys students says he didn't attend Randys funeral but had heard it had turned out to be a fiasco with lots of hangers on. page 96.

Does anyone have any info on what Randys actual funeral was like, what all took place, any pictures or video of it, can anyone elaborate on that day?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

We used to have a member here called Frank who has told us about how sad that day was. He was one of the people who can be seen in the funeral photographs carrying Randys coffin along with other band members.
I think the for him the day was a blur caused by shock and deep sadness.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

ARe you talking about Randys student Frank? Where can I see those pictures? Is there a photo gallery on this board? Seems like most photos of Randy were on Randy-Rhoads.com but they've been down now for months. Incidentally, if anyone can send me a zipped folder of all the pictures of Randy Rhoads I'll be happy to upload them to my own Randy Rhoads website so that way people will have a alternative place to view them when the Randy-Rhoads site is down. Just a thought.
For Sale, cream w gold hardware 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar just like Randy Rhoads with case $1,800 obo. 1976 MXR Dist+ $150 70's MXR Stereo Chorus $150 call me if interested Romeo Rose 304-633-6734
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

It was a blur for him, from the time he found out until awhile after.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Sarab wrote:It was a blur for him, from the time he found out until awhile after.
when I have chatted on the telephone with Frank I still sense the pain he has about those days.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Hope it's not in bad taste but, here you go.......
http://www.ultimaterandyrhoads.com/My_H ... age24.html
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

cool, thanks

i see aldridge, dubrow, and sarzo there, is that also ozzy in the front? who's the other people?
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Yes, that is Ozzy in the front. Randy's friend, Kim McNair is directly behind Rudy. Frank is behind Kevin.
Frank didn't know who the other people were. Possibly from the funeral home, he said.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think most large funerals turn into fiascos, which is why I personally don't like going to them. Everyone likes to be dramatic and pretend like they've lost someone extremely close to them cause they love attention. I remember when a kid in high school died of a drug over dose and 500 kids showed up at his funeral. That's more kids than in his graduating class. And then nearly the whole school wore his face on their t shirts and made bumper stickers with RIP on them. I found the whole thing bizarre. I knew for a fact that 80% of the kids sporting those shirts and bumper stickers never even met this guy ever. I dunno. The whole thing is extremely ridiculous and almost insulting to the smaller group of people who knew the person. I have no idea if that's what frank was thinking at RR's funeral, but that's certainly what I think of some funerals.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

What a refreshing thing to read Nicole!
If there is one thing worse than pity it is fake pity...

Edit-To explain my distaste of it I would say I think it cheapens genuine. sadness

Mattxx
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

I remember that day. I was at my mom's house. She lived a block down from the Lutheran church Randy's funeral was held at. The main street above hers was lined with cars and no one could drive thru. It was weird, there was so much traffic, but yet everything was so silent. It was a very sad day at our house. Even though my Mom had never met Randy, she had tears in her eyes most of the day, and kept saying how is his mother ever going to cope with losing her child. I think there is an interview with Kelly Garni about the funeral. He did not attend, but stated that afterward, he had spoken with Randy's family. They had told him that it was chaos, and many of the people in attendance, the Rhoads didn't even know. As well the family said there were fans fainting apparently at the service. I think whenever someone has a following as Randy had, there will be that element of drama. Sad but true. The people who really loved and knew Randy probably were still in such grief and disbelief it's hard to say what they were thinking at that time. They probably were all still in a state of shock. For me ,to this day ,when I see photos of Randy between the ages of 15 and 19, that's how I remember him ,and I am still stunned that he is gone.
ILOVERUDYSARZO

Post by ILOVERUDYSARZO »

That is a very sad picture...... :cry: Everybody looks so miserable. Rudy looks like he's about to cry.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

NicDots wrote:I think most large funerals turn into fiascos, which is why I personally don't like going to them. Everyone likes to be dramatic and pretend like they've lost someone extremely close to them cause they love attention. I remember when a kid in high school died of a drug over dose and 500 kids showed up at his funeral. That's more kids than in his graduating class. And then nearly the whole school wore his face on their t shirts and made bumper stickers with RIP on them. I found the whole thing bizarre. I knew for a fact that 80% of the kids sporting those shirts and bumper stickers never even met this guy ever. I dunno. The whole thing is extremely ridiculous and almost insulting to the smaller group of people who knew the person. I have no idea if that's what frank was thinking at RR's funeral, but that's certainly what I think of some funerals.
i have experienced similar things sadly :|

Rob
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

Drew pretty much told me the same story in regards to it being chaotic at the funeral. I just remember being shell shock by it all and seeing the pain in Delores eyes when I went for lessons at Musonia. I didn't really know what to say and I was afraid if I did say anything it would make things worse. It just was a very very sad time.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

off topic, but a warm welcome back Paiste 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt