I Met Delores and Kelle Rhoads @ Musonia Today!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ammalato

I Met Delores and Kelle Rhoads @ Musonia Today!

Post by ammalato »

So after many years of hoping that I'd once have the chance, I finally was able to visit Musonia today. I will try to recount (in this thread) most of the hour and a half I spent there, but I will have to do this over the next few days as it's late now and I don't have all the time I would like...

I must say that it was an absolute honor to be in the company of Kelle and Delores. They could not have been more gracious with their time and in the hour and a half that I was there, they NEVER once made me feel unwelcome. As I walked up Kelle opened the door for me and greeted my fiancee and I. It was about 90 degrees in North Hollywood (12 degrees hotter then W. Hollywood where I was staying). The school is all original (60-some-odd years old) and quaint. It really was striking because (even though I had expected it) I always looked to Randy as a "god like" icon, and seeing the school really helped establish his/the family's roots. Kelle walked me to the large room up front where all of Randy's memorabilia is (including Randy's original Peavey Standard 100 Amp and Ampeg Cab's from his Quiet Riot Days) and we sat by the piano with Mrs. Rhoads. Honestly, I felt a bit awkward as I didn't have many questions for her (You guys on the boards have provided so much information). I explained to her my admiration of Randy's work, and his passion and how I respected how they've governed his estate since his passing. I asked some questions (some of which I already knew the answers to) and thanked her profusely. There was one story that I had never heard before and I thought the board might enjoy it...

In speaking of Randy's dedication and tireless study habits Delores mentioned that she had gone out to visit Randy in England while he was recording B.O.O. Because she had never been to England she wanted to do the tourist thing and visit Picadilly circus. She had planned her schedule to go, but when she asked Randy to join her he said "I can't, that's lesson night."

Mrs. Rhoads had a student coming and I asked for a picture with her. After taking some pictures she told me to find Kelle and he would pick up the tour from there. My time with Kelle was great and we talked about a LOT of things which I will share later...

Last edited by ammalato on Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

bless her heart xx

That is a lovely picture and great story.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Randy looked so much like his mother...same smile!

Thanks for sharing. :)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cheers ammalato for sharing your tour, i look forward to seeing the rest. Delores looks well in that photo Great to see her happy.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Hey that's awesome Ammalato .. my wife and myself will head to Cali next March , i've never been to Musonia so that'll be on the top of our list of "things to do".
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hello Am'

Thank you for sharing your story about the visit to Musonia, I have never been but I always enjoy reading the stories from those who have made the journey.
The Rhoads family always seem so warm and welcoming to all those who call in on them in the small world of Musonia. I think it must be very warming for Delores knowing her youngest son is remembered with such fondness by us fans, I imagine in a small way it keeps time standing still being able to share in our enthusiasm and love for Randal.

Can we see more photo's and read any more stories from your time with the Rhoads family when you have time to write them down :D

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

Thanks everyone... it really was an incredible experience.

so picking up (and backtracking a little)...

When I sat with Mrs. Rhoads I asked about the movie and she said that it was moving along verrry slowly, but that the editing is what's taking up much of the time. She recounted the story of how Randy got the call to audition for Ozzy and how he told them "I don't think I'd be interested". The story is fmailiar to all, but according to Mrs. Rhoads, Randy was very comfortable working with his mother and very happy with the relative success of Quiet Riot. She ultimately asked him to reconsider which he did. Ozzy called back to ask again and Randy agreed to audition (but said he wouldn't be able to make it until late...at least 10:30pm according to Delores.) When he came home she asked what happened and he said...."Well, they told me I got the job, but I'm not really sure." Inevitably Ozzy did call when he said he would and the rest as we know is history. She spoke about how Randy found her father's guitar in "the cupboard" and ever since then he was all about the guitar...she couldnt' travel with him without him bringing it everywhere. She mentioned how she had a music/teaching(?) degree from UCLA and that she had just gone to the auditions the day before for the RR scholarship. She said with great enthusiasm that there were some REALLY talented kids there.

After that I thanked her, got a picture with her as well some photos of the room and was told to knock on one of the doors to find Kelle. After knocking around I couldn't find him. She suggested to try out the back door as he sometimes goes out there... Sure enough, we found him and he took us around.

Kelle (who has a very unique/loveable sense of humor) started by explaining the history of Musonia. Delores came up with the name and her and 2 other women founded the school. Everything in the school was original with the exception of the floors (which where green linoleum, and had disintegrated over the years) and the roof. All the fixtures are original as well. The phone had been replaced recently as it was an original rotary and the rates had chewed through the wiring. He first took us into the guitar room where they give guitar lessons currently. THis is NOT Randy's lesson room. As we were talking I explained that I frequent the boards and have read all the books. He commented on how strange it is that people/strangers come from all over to visit the school and already know everything about Kelle and the family. He asked if I knew who took over lessons when Randy left and I answered George Lynch.

more to come...it's gets better...
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

Continuing on with the story....

After Kelle walked us out of the current Guitar room, he took us down the small hallway that leads from the front to the back of the school. It was here that he told me of the most photographed room in the building. A retired small room off to the back right (just by the back door) that was Randy's lesson room...that is the room that Randy gave lessons in. The room was left exactly as it was when Randy left to join Ozzy. A tiny room no more than 8'x10' in size. The Hollow Dark Wood door opens into the right of the white wall-paneled room. The window directly in front as you enter the room is partially covered in a dark wood blind...the same dark wood that serves as the molding in the room. In front of you is a conductor's stand and a framed piece of music from well before the invention of standard notation.

In the corner on the immediate left is large lamp with a saxophone carved on the base and a large square lampshade standing right next to the second window.

Kelle explains that often times, fans from the far east, especially japan will call well (sometimes years) in advance to reserve an hour to meditate in the room. We discuss the pieces of music on the wall and he explains that many people leave a small item in the Conductor's stand (which opens up) hoping that it will bring them good luck. He continues that one fan from Broward County, FL visited once and later Kelle that he had left something special in the stand. Kelle looked in to find that this fan left his badge (I believe from the Fire Dept or EMT). I reached in my wallet, grabbed my guitar pick, placed it in the case and slowly lowered the lid shut.

As I walked out I grabbed the same knob that Randy had touched so many times before and pulled the door carefully closed. At this point Kelle led us out back where we held a conversation a viewed the outdoor classrooms....

I took a quick spin around the room with my camera and recorded a 360 degree video of the room, however I (somehow) managed to hold the camera in portait mode so the video is sideways. Anyone know how to rotate a video on a mac? I'd love to post the video for you guys.

This is where some of the most interesting conversations began.

More to come...
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Great read Ammalato, thanks very much for sharing it with us.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Gata

Post by Gata »

Hi Ammalato, thank you for sharing the story. Very nice indeed.
About rotating the video on a mac, I'll PM your some info if I can remember how I did that once...
"I told'em I had ridden shooting stars and said I'd show them how"
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Great story! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Thanks for posting!

Great read!
((CHAMBERS))

Post by ((CHAMBERS)) »

great stuff..thanx for sharing that.. I`ve yet to visit there. I`m gonna be recording in Burbank next week and am gonna try to syop by Musonia Halo drove me by there to check it out late at night.. Kelle said he was gonna give me a tour. I need to call him.
BUHZERKER

Post by BUHZERKER »

Great Story