That Metal Show

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

while eruption is not a jaw dropper anymore most of the stuff on fair warning is(the crazy meanstreets intro,dirty movies intro,sinners swing,the solo in push comes to shove)...ditto for a lot of stuff from vh2,women and children,diver down,1984..songs like spanish fly,romeo delight,could this bemagic,cathedrals,top jimmy,little guitars....the breadth and range of his style is bigger than randys or any other guitarist i can think of...I love rr and jimi but i dont see many of these guys experimenting with sounds,guitars and styles of playing like evh.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

zennman wrote: It's no longer a mystery now 30 years later, so it's not as special as it was then.
Thats a good way to view this and as EVH aged and progressed RR had to stop at his level in 1982. You cannot knock Eruption it was an amazing piece of guitar wankery. How can you put this up in a contest when both of these are high on the guitar heroe's ladder. Both playing with the same flavour of hard rock music but being able to play melodic etc. It is a hard one to judge but for the standard Randy was at and only getting better it has to be RR 'Get that spotlight on the guy it's solo time' :shock:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

ha ha the thread has slipped into the old Eddie vs Randy LOL..oh well the Polka dot gloves are off :)

Eddie, like Hendrix was an innovator. In terms of pushing the boundries in what the guitar was capable of, I think he expanded it's technical capabilities more than Randy. However I think Randy expanded the Guitars musical capabilities more than Eddie.

An endless but fun debate :)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ps eddie is always over looked for his awesome rhythm playing. I love this as much as his solo stuff!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

I view EVH vs. RR this way:

By 1982, EVH was pretty much "tapped out" of ideas.

No pun intended.

Okay, maybe just a little.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I have always preferred Randy's playing because every note and every solo...all very thoughtful. Randy never really wanted to be an innovator. He wanted to be an artist and make something lovely.

I like Eddie as a guitarist too, but I am not overly fond of Van Halen. Mainly cause of the singers. Yuck. I'd love Van Halen if they were just an instrumental band. Hot For Teacher is one of my favorite songs of all time!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:I view EVH vs. RR this way:

By 1982, EVH was pretty much "tapped out" of ideas.

No pun intended.

Okay, maybe just a little.
LOL..I prided myself on being the UR Pun king and now I have competion!!

Take that as a "fair warning" (cringes)

Matt
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

That was an enjoyable read and some interesting views Tom.

Matt
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

I just now saw this episode! I, too, thought they were comparing two things that did not match in context. The audience seemed to lean towards Randy's side. It was kind of neat to turn on a tv today and hear people throwing out their opinions of him.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

diver down showcases evh playing diversity....its a great album-guitar wise.Its not a hard rocker album though.
Evh didnt get tapped out til that hideous,insipid,fake rocker wanna be,sammy hagar joined the band.All of ed s creativity and playing and everything else went straight out the window.
All players get tapped out and if they dont meet an early demise they age unfavorably...ie eric clapton.

Ed s rythme playing is amazing as is his phrsing...just a natural gift.

The only thing i find some weakness in his songs are sometimes theyre simple --aside from the guitar on them.This is why i like vh1 the least.The tunes are extremely plain-runnin with devil,jamies cryin,on fire,talkin bout love...catchy but pretty simple...VH2 had way more fire.And the experimentation really took off after vh2.
They had a showdown on the metal show of best debut album between vh1 and gnr. And everybody chose vh1-i thought that was nuts.the GNR album had way,way,way better songs.That was an album full of classic tunes-not that i can bear to listen to them much any more after overexposure but gotta give credit where its due.Appetite was a rock masterpiece.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

oth wrote:They had a showdown on the metal show of best debut album between vh1 and gnr. And everybody chose vh1-i thought that was nuts.the GNR album had way,way,way better songs.That was an album full of classic tunes-not that i can bear to listen to them much any more after overexposure but gotta give credit where its due.Appetite was a rock masterpiece.
You cannot really put VH1 V's GNR Appetite because of the time difference between the two. Its like how Blizzard was a masterpiece for its time and it still holds its best to albums of today and is some what timeless. Lots of music from the 70's & 80's sounds dated. GnR Appetite was a much appreciated album but 10 years after VH1 and again it is one of those that is in everyone's collection. They both had their times at the top, for the period of music being created then! You cannot put it up against something a decade later.
permanentgrin

Post by permanentgrin »

I agree it`s an unfair comparison .. great points made about it.

Randy seemed to pay homage to Eddie in the spotlight solo with the 3 chords A G D ...killswitch..etc,, then the tapping near the end. He definately wanted to move away from anything Van Halen esque. ..all that being said.. somehow RR never sounded like EVH at all to me. Eddie didnt create those techniques ..he did amazingt things with them. Even Ace Frehley was tapping before and others too.

Eddie`s views on Rhoads were rediculous.. He was so thretened by him...and later avoided Yngwie like the plauge... refused to even meet him. Hopefully EVH has changed his thoughts about Randy Rhoads . Ed you know Randy was known for those those white amps first right? :wink:

First their was Eddie...and only Eddie . then their was only one who could be mentioned in the same breath. ..Randy Rhoads .

Was Randy better than Eddie? ..I dont think so.. Was Eddie better than Randy.. No way! Does Eddie have a riff that is as well known as Crazy Train among all generations since then? any thoughts on this?

When it comes down to it I think you can only pick which vibe you like better. In my world EVH got top honors among my friends...I was in the minority and thought that Rhoads went deeper. In terms of execution I always seen them both as equal... except live where I give RR the edge because he played more intense where EVH seemed to have less intensity than the albums.

If only RR was around :( when Yngwie hit the scene.. Yngwie was the next mindblow in a trilogy of guitarist who IMO were the most influential hard rock/metal guiatr players ever.

my 2 cents

chambers