Day on the Green California photos + Randy's fav photo

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Trigger wrote:Ozzy and the boys did an odd thing at this show, the set was short due to them only opening playing so early, they ended on Paranoid but because they had a little time they then played 'Iron Man' and 'Children of the Grave' which if the stage guys were running a tight time frame must have seemed like they were never coming off!
I wouldn't say they did bad for being the 2nd band on. They still managed a 53 minute set. Did they bother using the intro at this gig ?. Just with them being pushed for time they may have dropped it.
The Flying Dutchman wrote: I remember talking to someone who went all they way from Holland to the HMH Portvale festival '81 in England to see Def Leppard, but after seeing Ozzy he became instantly a huge Randy fan! 8)
Pat am i reading you correct ? Def Leppard @ the HMH '81 they didn't play at this gig ?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

No Intro and less songs, what makes the audio longer is that after they finish the tapes rolls on and you can hear anouncements and adds for Ozzy shows in the area.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Trigger wrote: the tapes rolls on and you can hear anouncements and adds for Ozzy shows in the area.
WOW. More shows in the area? What a great time it was to be an Ozzy fan back then, not only was Randy in the band but there was also loads of opportunities to see the band live.

Isn't it funny how we don't apreciate things until there gone.
It was a similar situation with the first UK Tour in Sept/Oct 1980, the band toured extensively doing several shows in the same area, even visiting the same town again a few weeks after the first visit.
As a 15 yr old kid at the time I was just glad Ozzy came to my town at all, if I could go back in time to that era I'd be making more of an effort to get to as many shows as I could.
Within about a 90 minute drive of my home town, Blizzard of Ozz played Sheffield, Bradford, Manchester, Hull, Nottingham, Leicester and Derby, plus several other gigs about 2 hrs away. Bloody Hell, what I'd give for an opportunity like that again.
Like I said earlier, you don't always appreciate things until there gone.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Fozzy41 wrote:
Trigger wrote: the tapes rolls on and you can hear anouncements and adds for Ozzy shows in the area.
WOW. More shows in the area? What a great time it was to be an Ozzy fan back then, not only was Randy in the band but there was also loads of opportunities to see the band live.

Isn't it funny how we don't apreciate things until there gone.
It was a similar situation with the first UK Tour in Sept/Oct 1980, the band toured extensively doing several shows in the same area, even visiting the same town again a few weeks after the first visit.
As a 15 yr old kid at the time I was just glad Ozzy came to my town at all, if I could go back in time to that era I'd be making more of an effort to get to as many shows as I could.
Within about a 90 minute drive of my home town, Blizzard of Ozz played Sheffield, Bradford, Manchester, Hull, Nottingham, Leicester and Derby, plus several other gigs about 2 hrs away. Bloody Hell, what I'd give for an opportunity like that again.
Like I said earlier, you don't always appreciate things until there gone.
Very true, can you remeber the tour dates for the 1986 'Ultimate Sin Tour'? he was everywhere but sadly Gaz those days are long gone for us old time Ozzy die hards :cry:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Trigger wrote: Very true, can you remeber the tour dates for the 1986 'Ultimate Sin Tour'? he was everywhere but sadly Gaz those days are long gone for us old time Ozzy die hards :cry:
Sure can remember the Ultimate Sin Tour Trigg, I saw him at Manchester Apollo, great gig, wish I'd been to more, but I did get to Donington in the August, not as good as the earlier tour though.
Yes, they are long gone mate, sadly.
What do we get now, maybe a festival appearance every few years, or a UK Tour consisting of, wait for it, 2 dates, well fuck me sideways, cheers Ozz thats great.
Having said that, I'll be there 'til the end, hopefully a few more gigs yet.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Trigger wrote:No Intro and less songs, what makes the audio longer is that after they finish the tapes rolls on and you can hear anouncements and adds for Ozzy shows in the area.
You have no idea how hearing those dates scheduled in the Bay Area a few days later, grates on me, hearing that DOTG audio for the first time (the other day). Who knew I'd only ever have one more semi-opportunity to photograph Randy. I know I would have wanted to stay down there, had it been just me ... and not had people with me who had to get back to OR to go to work on Monday.

I'd driven 500 miles just to get to that DOTG show, bringing with me I think 4-5 others in my van. Even had a 18-wheeler kick up a rock the size of my fist that smacked and cracked my windshield, on the way down I-5. It was like slow motion coming right at me - then POW!

Every time I went to one of those DOTG shows was a road adventure, in addition to the show. Wish I'd gone to every one between '77 and '85 in hindsight.

Fun times, though. Definitely

Even being tired as hell and driving half the night to get there.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote: Even had a 18-wheeler kick up a rock the size of my fist that smacked and cracked my windshield, on the way down I-5. It was like slow motion coming right at me - then POW!

Every time I went to one of those DOTG shows was a road adventure, in addition to the show. Wish I'd gone to every one between '77 and '85 in hindsight.

Fun times, though. Definitely

Even being tired as hell and driving half the night to get there.[/b]
Yeah I definatley know what you mean.
Some of my most memorable concerts experiences have been the ones where its been like one long crazy adventure just to get there.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Dave did you notice anything on the day with the miss-hap with Randy's trousers ? Have you spotted yourself in the crowd on this pic ? Speaking of pics any chance you could show us a few that you have not published. That would be cool and well appreciated cheers.
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Randy actually had an accident with his trousers at this gig.He was posing giving it some big licks and riffs with his legs wide open and the crotch of his trousers went RIPPPPPPP :oops: .If you notice at the start of the gig he's wearing matching trousers & waistcoat with red piping down the side .At the end of the gig he's got plain black trousers on.Ross Halfin took a cool photo of Randy laughing his head off after he'd ripped his trousers.Ross tried to get a shot of him in his ripped trousers but he never did..Randy said it was his favourite Live photo..i'll scan it and post it up..
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:You have no idea how hearing those dates scheduled in the Bay Area a few days later, grates on me, hearing that DOTG audio for the first time (the other day).
Did the audio bring back any long forgoten memories of the show? Its a great audio and really gives the feeling of a stadium event.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Dave did you notice anything on the day with the miss-hap with Randy's trousers ? Have you spotted yourself in the crowd on this pic ? Speaking of pics any chance you could show us a few that you have not published. That would be cool and well appreciated cheers.
I was at approximately this position (arrow, below). Possibly even a touch more towards Randy's side.

If it was a higher resolution photo I might be able to pick myself out, but zooming in on it the detail disappears real quickly.

The stage that day wasn't just high- it was higgggggggh!

I mean RIDICULOUSLY high! You can't really tell from that photograph, looking out and down, but just trust me.

Probably 2-3 feet higher than any stage I'd seen before (even moreso than at the other DOTG's I'd been to before or afterwards, which were normal stage height) with the exception of Led Zeppelin (just before my photography days) at the Seattle Kingdome in July '77, which was probably THE highest.

It cost me a LOT of photo opportunities, because I had to wait until they stepped towards the front of the stage to get anything better than "from the waist up " (which isn't acceptable if it cuts off everything but the guitar neck and 1/4 of the guitar body).

I don't recall anything about the "pants mishap." It wouldn't have been visible from my vantage point with that stage height problem, in any case. It could have been something that was even mentioned at the time (and joked about) on the stage.

It probably didn't register as anything more significant than some popped stitches, to anybody it wasn't visible to.

I may post some (unseen before) photos, today.

You just never know. :wink:
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Trigger wrote:
RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:You have no idea how hearing those dates scheduled in the Bay Area a few days later, grates on me, hearing that DOTG audio for the first time (the other day).
Did the audio bring back any long forgoten memories of the show? Its a great audio and really gives the feeling of a stadium event.
No forgotten memories except the announcement of additional shows in the area, in the week following. Of course, you simply took for granted that you'd just catch them later on the tour and/or in the ones following.

It was WAY too early in the day (their set). Randy (especially) looked pretty sleepy, through the first 4 songs or so. Not that I could blame him. 11am for a musician is like what ... 5am for you and me? :wink:
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

These 2 photos were a bit under-exposed (before the sun finally started to begin to cut through the Saturday morning Oakland haze).
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

These 3 are from my set of (5) custom-cropped 5x7 photos, which I sold through my rock photo catalog (Circus Magazine classifieds). #7, #8 and #11.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

These 2 are my personal favorites (the other 2 of the set of 5 -5x7's). #6 and #12.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Here's 3 of the "new" ones - as far as nobody but me has seen these prior to today.

Now you have seen all (of the Randy photos) I took at the 07/04/81 DOTG show.

††† RIP, MY FRIEND †††