1959RR book (with postcard ? )

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

can you do that to the rest of the card?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

wareagle wrote:can you do that to the rest of the card?
+1 :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

I didn't do anything to the post card. That's the size of the scan Kevin sent me back when he first put it up for auction on ebay. At the time, he didn't want people having clear scans of it because (obviously) he was trying to sell it. I'm still amazed at how acurate the translation was off that crappy scan that WAS on ebay. Man to do that, that's a talent... or something. He also sent a scan of a receipt from Beverly Hills Car Audio, or Beverly Hills Audio... from when he went with Randy to get a stereo put in his car. Why he'd end up with the receipt I'll never know... he had all kinds of crazy things like that.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is the original scan that Craig-'ZakkDaniels' posted from the Marshall brochure. Which is a bit clearer apart from the parts that are covered up.
Attachments
Dubrow_Postcard.tif
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

I was re-reading this here post where it was said: Yes, Kevin was the seller, and it took place around the fall of 2003, I believe. I'm not sure what happened with the first auction, and I can't remember what it sold for at the second one (assuming it did sell). Maybe someone else will remember the details and chime in.

When this was going on ebay, Kevin asked me to post a link to the auction from my site (DayTheMusicDied) so that people could find their way to it from there as well... that's when I got that huge scan. I remember that there was a lot of negative posts on TK (at the time, that was the only board of its kind, I believe.) when this first went on ebay - it was almost vicious. People claiming he was profiting off Randy's death by selling this card. I was so shocked at the negativity that I called Kevin and when he answered he just said "Can you believe this shit?" Never even said hello and it was off to a 15 minute conversation about What the hell had just gone wrong? That might be why the auction stopped initially. Honestly, I don't remember the second auction, but I do remember he sold it privately to someone (in California I think) for what I want to say was around $2000 or $2500 - I thought that was where the opening bid was?
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I can't remember the opening bid myself. The only reason I know it was on eBay twice is because I grabbed the image from the second auction, too, only to find it was about half the resolution of the first one. I don't think either auction lasted very long.

I do remember people getting upset with Kevin over selling the postcard, but they may have assumed he was wealthier than he actually was. Sometimes you've got to sell things off in order to pay the bills -- I've got a nice acoustic guitar on consignment in a local music store right now for that very reason. I'd rather keep it, but I need the money more than I need the guitar.
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

It's as good a reason as any, to have stopped that auction, that is.

I remember that the piece he sold had two pictures of Randy matted in with the post card. Do you know if the scan in that Marshall booklet was from before Kevin sold it? Or was that whole thing taken apart and done (reasonably) recent?
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

That's right, I forgot about that. I only grabbed the close-up image, and didn't grab the image of the whole display. I'd guess that the booklet photos were made recently, but I couldn't say for sure.
Last edited by Cornelius on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy Perry wrote:I remember that there was a lot of negative posts on TK (at the time, that was the only board of its kind, I believe.) when this first went on ebay - it was almost vicious. People claiming he was profiting off Randy's death by selling this card.

I also remember Kevin explaining that he had loads of Randy related stuff and wasn't selling 'cherished memories' but, rather, giving Randy fans the chance to own something personal as opposed to copies of photos or recordings.

By the way, I don't think it was as long ago as '03 that this was on eBay. I'm thinking it was more like mid '05 or early '06. Isay that because I joined .tk in '03 and this subject definitely came up after I'd been there a while.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Hmm...I don't seem to remember Kevin ever really being ripped on at .tk. Rudy Sarzo, yes. Kevin? No.
I think this is more of the board for Kevin ripping (and everyone ripping, really LOL) more than .tk.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

i hate to say this, but can u take a pic of it with his amps moved? i wana see the whole thing lol.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

wareagle wrote:i hate to say this, but can u take a pic of it with his amps moved? i wana see the whole thing lol.
That pic is out of the Marshall brochure that came with the RR signature head. That's how it is in the booklet, so i cannot remove the photos of the amps Sorry :cry:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I have a picture of that postcard somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up... it was clear enough to read the whole thing.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

wareagle wrote:i hate to say this, but can u take a pic of it with his amps moved? i wana see the whole thing lol.
That pic is out of the Marshall brochure that came with the RR signature head. That's how it is in the booklet, so i cannot remove the photos of the amps Sorry :cry:
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

The first auction was definitely in '03. There's an old news item on it here, dated 10/27/03:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/Blabbe ... emID=16273

I'm not positive when the second auction was, maybe a couple of months after the first.

As I recall, most of the regulars at TK were fine with Kevin selling the postcard. Several people were really against it, though, and made it known.