Randy's Gear

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

Randy's Gear

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Guitar World had photos of Randy's actual Marshal head a few months back, I scanned and posted the pics, I'm sure someone here has a copy of those pics - the post got lost in the "hiccup".
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

randy basicaly used a 100watt superlead plexi head, im not sure what jmp number is associated with it. The main thing is basicaly it was a non-master volume 1970s (design, if not production) marshall.

i've heard people dial in randys tone with a marshall super bass from the 70s or something like that, crazy but true :!:

your right though randy sounded amazing whatever he played, there was magic in them fingers :lol:

Rob
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

wareagle wrote:tht would be cool to see, i had my doughts on the jmp that marshall said he used, i think he used somthing on the line of a jtm or a plexi or somthing, im not sure, just wana see. he sounds good on anything though. even the crappy fender practice amps in the lesson recording he sounds good in.
The crappy Fender amp was according to many a Fender Champ!

A tone machine!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

rice_pudding wrote:...there was magic in them fingers
that's what she said...
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

lol
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

That crappy fender amp is a fender harvard, which is a tone machine. They are'nt as plentiful as champs, and are getting rather expensive nowadays. They're pretty sweet amps.
just thought I'd chime in :wink:
Have a good one all!
Andy P
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Thanks for that Andy

Jesus wept!! If it is that check out how expensive one is on ebay!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Harvard-amp- ... 286.c0.m14

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is Delores with Alisa (red dress) Kathy's daughter and 'Frank's' daughter Brianna in 1982.If you look in the left bottom corner of the pic you can see the back of the Fender Harvard practice amp.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

x2
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

No probl Mr Matt! I've been watching Harvards for a few years now, and they continualy go up. They don't come around all the time, but when they do, they usualy get snatched up pretty quick. Maybe one day...
I always trip on the fact that Randy waltzed into the Ozzy audition with a Les Paul, old Fender amp and an mxr pedal (dist or eq depending on the story) and just blew doors. I'm sure that amp was cranked! I have a 62 brown princeton, Les Paul Standard and a script distortion +, and sometimes I look at them and think about RR just killing with those modest tools. Good stuff!
take care
Andy P
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Andy P wrote:No probl Mr Matt! I've been watching Harvards for a few years now, and they continualy go up. They don't come around all the time, but when they do, they usualy get snatched up pretty quick. Maybe one day...
I always trip on the fact that Randy waltzed into the Ozzy audition with a Les Paul, old Fender amp and an mxr pedal (dist or eq depending on the story) and just blew doors. I'm sure that amp was cranked! I have a 62 brown princeton, Les Paul Standard and a script distortion +, and sometimes I look at them and think about RR just killing with those modest tools. Good stuff!
take care
Andy P

I know. it always reminds me of David and Golaeth! Little Randy perfect as an underestimated David

Matt
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Totaly.
He walked into that audition and slayed! With little effort too, and just killed.
And what a weird situation that must've been, walking in there during Ozzy's particular emotional state. No wonder Randy was kinda scrathing his head afterwards at the whole thing. I always wondered what the "room" looked like. I always imagined it in a bit of disarray. God knows what Ozzy had strewn about! haha! I guess we'll never know.
I wish I was a fly on the wall, just to see the expressions on peoples faces. When he walked in, and then after. Priceless.
Also, I love how he was "just warming up". His "warming up" was equivelant to most of us going balls out and reaching for the seemingly impossible lick! haha! "oh that? I was just messing about" haha!
Andy