Randy Rhoads stories

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

10 watts is plenty loud enough to disturb the neighbors... trust me!
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

KodoBeast wrote:
frank wrote:he had this fender harvard amp. it was real old, like from the fifties. the tolex (tweed?) had been stripped off and the bare wood had been varnished. it looked pretty cool and boy could he make it scream. sometimes the volume got away from him and the neighbors were always coming over to complain. one time he's playing away and suddenly he stops. a couple of seconds later we hear the front door pounding. he gets up to answer the door and i can hear a man just reading him the riot act. up one side and down the other. afterwards, he comes back and quietly sits down.
"well, he wasn't very nice!" at that moment he struck me as a six year old who had just been chastised.
Hey frank, I was reading up on fender harvards and it seemed they were only built with a power output of 10 watts, was this true?

Whatever the answer, do you recall just how loud randy played? I mean, to get neighbors to come over and complain, he must've been playing pretty loud, was it a little 10 watt harvard for sure?

Thanks alot :)
hey kodo. don't know the specs. his brother kelle said it's from the '50s. randy set me up with a fender champ which had a small output also but when i hooked it up to a mxr distortion+ it fairly screamed. his playing was very loud and emotionally powerful.
a photo of the amp is shown momentarily in the japanese tribute documentary. you can catch it if you're quick enough with the 'pause' button.
frank

Post by frank »

there is also a photo of a peavy combo amp. i think he may have kept that one at musonia for lessons since i never saw it before.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

frank wrote:there is also a photo of a peavy combo amp. i think he may have kept that one at musonia for lessons since i never saw it before.
Hey Frank, did Randy also use a little Ampeg combo?
Because that Ampeg combo is what they showed in the Japanese tribute documentary.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
frank

Post by frank »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
frank wrote:there is also a photo of a peavy combo amp. i think he may have kept that one at musonia for lessons since i never saw it before.
Hey Frank, did Randy also use a little Ampeg combo?
Because that Ampeg combo is what they showed in the Japanese tribute documentary.
no, i'm mistaken dutch. it must have been an ampeg amp that i was thinking of.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Hey Uncle Frank

I have a question bout Randy...

When he was teaching you what was the funniest thing he has ever done while teaching you?

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
frank

Post by frank »

siro_angel wrote:Hey Uncle Frank

When he was teaching you what was the funniest thing he has ever done while teaching you?

Simon
hey simon. randy was not comedic. not with me anyways. he was dead serious about music although he made it fun and interesting. once zero farted and i blamed randy. he didn't think that was very funny though.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

frank wrote:

Simon
hey simon. randy was not comedic. not with me anyways. he was dead serious about music although he made it fun and interesting. once zero farted and i blamed randy. he didn't think that was very funny though.
I get blamed when Lily farts :? although somtimes it's me :shock:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Trigger wrote:
frank wrote:

Simon
I get blamed when Lily farts :? although somtimes it's me :shock:
:lol:
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Madman56
Cool Member

Post by Madman56 »

Thanks everybody for these great stories, priceless stuff for the fan who couldn't live them.
Film Director

Correction

Post by Film Director »

I have one correction. I spent half of the day yesterday with Dana Strum and the other half with Kelli Garni. Both of their interviews were amazing.
Kelli Garni was an incredible host and opened up his house to the film crew for 8 hours. Dana did the same with his recording studio. I have to correct one urban myth that came right out of Dana Strum's mouth. And being that he Randy and Ozzy were the only ones in the control booth and room at Randy's audition I have to believe that his story is accurate. Randy did not tune his guitar for Ozzy and then immediately get the job. He played the first 90 or so seconds of the solo from "Laughing Gas" before Ozzy lifted his head off of the console and told Dana to tell Randy he got the job. For the full story from Dana you will have to wait for the movie.
Peter M. Margolis
Film Director
Los Angeles, CA.
frank

Post by frank »

thanks for the clarification peter. ya gotta admit though, randy tuning his guitar was amazing. eagerly awaiting the finished product!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That makes SO much more sense.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hello Peter

Thanks for sharing the story, have you busted many other Randy myths while you have been recording the film? I don't want you to spoil surprises for us with details but has it been fun meeting Randy through his closest friends?

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thanks Peter for resolving this myth!
THNX! :D
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.