Manchester 1980 gig poster

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Manchester 1980 gig poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Some people may remember this poster, this was posted up before the site went down. As you can see the date on this poster 19th August 1980 this gig never happened. Along with a couple of other dates 15th August -Newcastle Mayfair & 28th August -Reading festival. The only reason behind this, that i can think of would be the release of the album being in September. If it was late being released and had an initial release date for mid August. But it just seems strange that these dates are not mentioned in the music press and no mention of any tickets for these dates ever going on sale ?. Its the first original tour poster that i have ever seen with Randy's name mentioned. Look how all the band members names are all spelt wrong ?..
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Weird. Usually the band members were not mentioned. Ever. Never. Well never say die. And the word IS spelled. Sorry man, but I had to say it...
I heard the news on the radio that day in March (coming up). I am 40 and brand new here but I got into the boots (I had to find em first) about 1994. My friend gave me a nice VHS of after hours in 1985 which wasn't the broadcast version without host Marty Doodah (not sure of spelling-sounds like Camptown races- Doo daa) on there at 31 Studios. By the way, that was in Spencerport, NY which is about 10 miles from Rochester, NY. I have some nice shows on vinyl, CD and tapes (Good Sources)including a Randy lesson tape from a Circus or Hit parader mag that I sent away for.
I am up for hearing some new shows (they will come out) or any other recordings. You could say I discovered the Suicide Solution Demo (like Columbus did!) when a trading friend lent me the tape. I was converting to disc and he wanted what was on the other side! I was amazed. It said Ozzy demo. Was like, Right okay. Then I freaked out upon hearing it. Someone I knew sent the CDR of my tape Chelmsford '80 I have with the demos tacked on for bonus. This became the Chelmsford complete CD. They EQ'ed the hell out of if and tried to cut out the audience guy who must have gone to a previous show - yells out the songs titles before they go into them. Why? It really would have been a nice boot but it sucks. It's awful. It does have Revelation mother earth and Paranoid which makes it complete.
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum but I just wanted to say (In Ozzy's English accent) "I'm here" meaning I'd like to talk to the serious Rhoads fans who know what their doing and maybe we can get some of this stuff out to the community in the best quality. I don't think I can say everything I can offer will be brand new or the best quality you have heard but I don't know what is the best out there. There are a lot of crap CD's/CDR's of the same old shows.
The differences of Tribute, Cleveland and Montreal are a ripe topic of discussion. The only way to tell is to write down Ozzy's comments (word for word). On the boot Randy fudges the beginning of the tapping part in Crazy train but is corrected on tribute. Tribute's No Bone Movies isn't from either show????
Ozzy always sounded bad and that's why they don't want to release anything. On the video Speak of the Devil, I swear Ozzy overdubbed his vocals. There are plenty of parts that don't match up to Ozzy's vocal on that video/LaserDisc.

Well that's all for now, folks...
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Interesting to see that poster again Shaun.
Where did you obtain it from? I can't remember what you said before.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

is that real? b/c they managed to spell everyones name wrong.

OzzIE? RhodES? kURslake PAisley....seriously???
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Thanks for sharing this Shaun

Also strange that ever band member gets an "ex...." under their name while Randy just gets USA!

by the way nice to meet you Han Solo. With that name the odds are stacked quite high we will get along :)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Fozzy41 wrote:Interesting to see that poster again Shaun.
Where did you obtain it from? I can't remember what you said before.
wareagle wrote:is that real? b/c they managed to spell everyones name wrong.

OzzIE? RhodES? kURslake PAisley....seriously???
Gaz the poster is not mine it was being sold on ebay. I contacted the guy who was selling it and he gave me abit of info. He took it down from an advertising board in Manchester town centre back in the day,and he'd kept it all this time. I mentioned how i have the Newcastle Mayfair poster from the 15th August etc. The venue Rotters is now demolished but it was not like a regular venue for the Rock music scene. But it started to get a following for putting live bands on a regular basis (ska bands like Madness, Dexy's Midnight Runners etc). If you notice the promoters name on the poster 'Porterhouse Promotions' these didn't promote the 1980 UK tour it was Panda Artists in association with Adrian Hopkins. That's about as much as i know. I was going to have a bid on this but it is in a bad state covered in glue/paste and all the edges are cut/ripped.
Warbeagle it was a common mistake back in the day to miss spell Ozzy's name it was spelt in all different ways Ossie Ozzie Ossy. But for the printer to spell all the band members names wrong ? I can only think that the info for the poster was taking down through a phone call. If the printer had had any info or a press pack from Jet or a printers proof/copy. I'm sure they would of been no mistakes. But i just thought it was good to see the band get a mention even though they are all mis-spelt.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

hansolo wrote: Someone I knew sent the CDR of my tape Chelmsford '80 I have with the demos tacked on for bonus. This became the Chelmsford complete CD. They EQ'ed the hell out of if and tried to cut out the audience guy who must have gone to a previous show - yells out the songs titles before they go into them. Why? It really would have been a nice boot but it sucks. It's awful. It does have Revelation mother earth and Paranoid which makes it complete.Well that's all for now, folks...
Welcome aboard the Millenium Falcon Han LOL!! another member for the O.F.C (Old Farts Club) thats the OAP club for the over 40's HA!..
Is this the same Chelmsford CD that has been selling for big money on ebay ?
Attachments
OZZYCHELMSFORDCOMPLETE.jpg
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

That is the one. One sold for $157 and the sound is inferior. Nice packaging though. Lee's drum solo has a few bits of Over the mountain.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

I love it how the poster says " no dress restrictions" in the bottom right corner .. those were the days .. now every club is paranoid to the max concerning security .. and dress regulations etc sickens me !
................................................................Image...............................................................................
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Re: Manchester 1980 gig poster

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Some people may remember this poster, this was posted up before the site went down. As you can see the date on this poster 19th August 1980 this gig never happened. Along with a couple of other dates 15th August -Newcastle Mayfair & 28th August -Reading festival. The only reason behind this, that i can think of would be the release of the album being in September. If it was late being released and had an initial release date for mid August. But it just seems strange that these dates are not mentioned in the music press and no mention of any tickets for these dates ever going on sale ?. Its the first original tour poster that i have ever seen with Randy's name mentioned. Look how all the band members names are all spelt wrong ?..
I don't buy the legitimacy of this poster/band billing, personally.

I'm skeptical like that.
:wink:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Manchester 1980 gig poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote: I don't buy the legitimacy of this poster/band billing, personally.

I'm skeptical like that.
:wink:
Dave, I've been collecting Rock memorabilia for 25 years and i was like you on seeing this poster for the first time. Thinking that it was a made up item and put on ebay for someone to make a fast buck. What i have noticed with the people that do this and con people on a regular basis. They relist the same item, time and time again. This poster only ever appeared the once, and after emailing the guy i was sure that this was the genuine article. I knew about the earlier cancelled tour dates from that tour which never get mentioned as i have another poster from one of those dates. As you'll notice the posters below are both from the same venue and are both printed by the same company. But for being skeptical i don't blame you as no info has ever come to light about these dates. The only date which was ever published would of been the bands debut gig for the Blizzard of Ozz tour starting at the Reading Rock festival 28th August 1980. This was cancelled and Slade played instead, so i'm going with my original hunch that an earlier tour was planned but rescheduled due to the release of the Blizzard album.
ImageImage
This poster was mentioned in a thread back in May 2007
viewtopic.php?t=1508
hansolo
Mass Poster

Posters!

Post by hansolo »

I have a few posters. Some fake like the red Johnstown '81 and Market Square Arena (yellow, red & purple) which was on a cardboard backing (giveaway) which I had plak-it'ed. When I was a kid I got a M.S.A. in a music store that was a florescent orange but not on a cardboard backing. Was that more valuable or just crap?

I just ran across this... I bought one and the person I bought it from says they have more of course. They said they were obtained from the private collection of Alan Pepper - founder of the historical "Bottom Line" in NYC. They also mentioned Rodney Binghimer. When I got the poster it looked brand new like it was just printed. The ink bleeds through the paper. See pic...

I have a Vancouver '81 I hope is real. It's a glossy job if I remember. I have a German Diary 11/5/81 (I think) with Saxon headlining - I just got it. I have a big English Diary B/W promo - 5ft. A poster for The live 3 song EP (Canadian?) with the picture of Ozzy in red from Canadian cover. A Quiet riot the Randy years promo poster.
Attachments
ozNYC.JPG
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Stuff

Post by hansolo »

No mention of 2 consecutive shows... The 2 shows Lee and Bob were fired. They (I guess/heard) wanted per deim (Per day?) and Sharon would not have it? New thread?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think Lee and Bob were ultimately fired because they wanted the Blizzard of Ozz to be a band and Sharon/Ozzy wanted total control. That's never been discussed by them publicly that I know of, but based on the shenanigans from the Ozzy camp, I think it originally had to do with more than money. Bob and Lee were established guys on par with Ozzy, and he was a drunk. I think I've even read that Randy thought it was supposed to be 4 equal band members originally. Had someone other than Sharon/Don Arden been managing them things may have worked out differently.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

i also thing ozzy wanted aldridge and bob backed lee up and when tommy was availible he took him and bob was mad and ozzy got rid of him...its in his interview.