QR: The Randy Rhoads Years, not the real thing?

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

bubba

Post by bubba »

I thought the acoustic version of "Afterglow" was pretty cool. When that CD came out, I had never heard any QR with Randy, but since then I have listened to a bunch of stuff and like it all. I still can't believe they didn't get a deal after Van Halen broke.
mj_patrick

Post by mj_patrick »

I agree, it's surprising they did not get a record deal.

My thought on the RR Years CD is that I think Randy would have approved of most of the changes- the changes in sound/mixes definitely draw more attention to what he is playing. There were some changes to lyrics/song structure on songs that were unexpected ("Trouble" had a quite a bit of changes), but I think most were for the better.

And yes I would agree many, many albums are doctored, I'm sure there were production decisions made on the Ozzy albums Randy may not have been thrilled with (Not being able to do the solo he wanted to do on "Little Dolls" for example).

Kevin had said Randy felt Kevin was his best guitar critic, and with Randy not being here I think Kevin was just the right person to decide on the changes to make.
Rhoads10

i agree with Stiltzkin

Post by Rhoads10 »

i agree with Stiltzkin
Randy was so precise that he could seemsily doubletrack anything he played for a maxium sonic density

he could have played some parts with different guitars to experement with sounds.

plus the beginning to afterglow is acoustic, there was probially a unreleased version that was acoustic that ended up on the years album
Eric Hickman

From Obsecurity to Eternity
1956-1982

Re: i agree with Stiltzkin

Post by 41533 »

[quote="Rhoads10"]i agree with Stiltzkin
Randy was so precise that he could seemsily doubletrack anything he played for a maxium sonic density

he could have played some parts with different guitars to experement with sounds.

plus the beginning to afterglow is acoustic, there was probially a unreleased version that was acoustic that ended up on the years album[/quote]

i agree with rhoads10
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

That QR - The RR Years is a cool recording. It sounds great to me. I still want to get QR I and QR II.
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

cableguyxx wrote:
Zakk Daniels wrote:That QR - The RR Years is a cool recording. It sounds great to me. I still want to get QR I and QR II.
The original LP's can be found on EBAY now and then. QR II is pretty common find for less then $75, sometimes much less. QR I on the hand, I've seen for more than $400, depending on who's bidding at the time. Not seen one go for less than $100 in a very long time. Someone sells a nice bootleg CD on there, both on one CD. They claim it's legit, but it's still a boot. If you're just wanting to download the LP's, I have them hosted, courtesy of Kevin Dubrow, here:

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/audio.html
WOW!! Thanks man. Very Cool!! :D
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I know the discussion regarding Kevin "tweaking" the recordings has gone on for a long time, but I thought I'd stir it up a bit!

I was listening to Laughing Gas from that CD yesterday and - in my opinion - that is the worst version of the solo I've heard. Probably because two seperate solos were pieced together. I've listened to the solos on the videos repeatedly and prefer them by far. The CD version has pristine sound, but I just don't think the solo sounds so great.

Any thoughts?
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

You can download QR I and II in their entirety on mp3sugar.com. Great site, supposedly legal and songs are only $.18. You have to pay a minimum of $20 and draw from your balance when you download, however albums are only like $1.83 each.
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I know the discussion regarding Kevin "tweaking" the recordings has gone on for a long time, but I thought I'd stir it up a bit!

I was listening to Laughing Gas from that CD yesterday and - in my opinion - that is the worst version of the solo I've heard. Probably because two seperate solos were pieced together. I've listened to the solos on the videos repeatedly and prefer them by far. The CD version has pristine sound, but I just don't think the solo sounds so great.

Any thoughts?
Agreed. The two seperate solos doesn't sound good because of the tone. I wish Kevin used the original Solo (Even with Drew's bass drums kicking in the background) but I still enjoy it alot.

The album overrall rocks. Picking Up The Pieces is my favorite out of all of them.
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I know the discussion regarding Kevin "tweaking" the recordings has gone on for a long time, but I thought I'd stir it up a bit!

Any thoughts?
it sounds just like the suicide solution on the Tribute album, i know its the laughing gas solo, but i like the one on Tribute better because it gets to the point IMO.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end