The Legendary?

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ozzmosis

The Legendary?

Post by Ozzmosis »

i went to rrclub.com (randy rhoads club) and clicked on the bootleg section. i saw an lp called "The Legendary" and it had the following tracks listed
1. GOING ALRIGHT
2. MY BABY
3. LOSING
4. 'CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW
5. GET WHAT YOU WANT
6. YOU'RE INSANE
7. RATS AND POLICE

how come i have never heard of these? do they all go by different names? what info do you guys have on this?

here is the link to the page http://www.rrclub.com/indexe.html
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Re: The Legendary?

Post by cableguyxx »

Ozzmosis wrote:how come i have never heard of these? do they all go by different names? what info do you guys have on this?
The other songs are either completely mislabeled, similar to Rats and Police on the "Legendary" bootleg LP fromm the Starwood show(http://www.rrclub.com/indexe.html)
:idea:
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

cableguyxx wrote:
Ozzmosis wrote:how come i have never heard of these? do they all go by different names? what info do you guys have on this?
The other songs are either completely mislabeled, similar to Rats and Police on the "Legendary" bootleg LP fromm the Starwood show(http://www.rrclub.com/indexe.html)
:idea:
i'm very aware of this. i went to the site and in bootlegs i saw "The Legendary". i am just wondering what those songs are really called...
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

This is the set list at that time. Which ones are which are irrelevant, but these would be the songs, minus guitar and drum solo, which would have been included in the songs Laughing Gas and Good Times:

Gonna Have A Riot
Lie Back And Let Me In
One In A Million
Breaking Up Is A Heartache
Picking Up The Pieces
Teenage Anthem
Good Times
Drum Solo
Killer Girls
Laughing Gas
Guitar Solo
Back To The Coast
Slick Black Cadillac

I hope this helps.
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

it gives me an idea on what some may be, yeah. thanks

I'm still confused on the "laughing gas (studio)" thing. Kevin said "Due to the length of the solo and the fact that it was constantly evolving, we never cut a studio version of this song" To be honest, I think we're being fed lies. Why else would Kevin say that?
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Kevin And Randy Perry were fairly close for a while if I remember correctly. It's been so long ago. Not sure why Kevin said that, but I will tell you this, if Randy Perry said it regarding Randy Rhoads, I believe it 100%. He's has no motivation to lie about anything. He's always done a great job with Randy's memory, is largely responsible for helping circulate a good portion of the audio shows we all currently enjoy for free, via antiquated US postal mail and cassette tapes (recordable CD media wasn't really even a viable option back then.
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

You are absolutley right. I shouldn't have said what I said.

I think the version of Laughing Gas that he is talking about is the unedited version of the one on The Randy Rhoads Years.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kevin re-record his vocals on that track?

This is what he said about it in his post

"Laughing Gas (Studio)

Source: Unreleased Quiet Riot studio session (Live) - 1977

Note: This is a studio recording, where Quiet Riot set up and played live. This version is unique as it contains the entire song as they performed it live, complete with Randy Rhoads' unaccompanied guitar solo. Unfortunately, there are 4 seconds where the audio drops out completely during the solo."
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Ozzmosis wrote:You are absolutley right. I shouldn't have said what I said.

I think the version of Laughing Gas that he is talking about is the unedited version of the one on The Randy Rhoads Years.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kevin re-record his vocals on that track?

This is what he said about it in his post

"Laughing Gas (Studio)

Source: Unreleased Quiet Riot studio session (Live) - 1977

Note: This is a studio recording, where Quiet Riot set up and played live. This version is unique as it contains the entire song as they performed it live, complete with Randy Rhoads' unaccompanied guitar solo. Unfortunately, there are 4 seconds where the audio drops out completely during the solo."
Actually, Quiet Riot: The Randy Rhoads Years version of Laughing Gas is live, BUT it's from two different shows! I don't remember off hand which shows exactly, but I do know the first half is from an earlier version of the song and the second half is from later, maybe even one of the Reunion shows in May 1980? It's just my opinion, but I think it was done that way to show off as many of Randy's Ozzy era riffs as possible. I liked Kevin D, but he he was quick to point out that Randy had played many of the riffs that ended up being in Ozzy song's, years before while he was in Quiet Riot, either on album, or live or just screwing around. While it's very true that Randy did recycle a lot of his riffs, that takes nothing away from the final product he delivered or his legacy. I don't think that was Kevin's intentions either, but to some I'm sure it came across as very punitive. I have to believe it was more of a dig at Ozzy then anything else.

What I'm getting at, is the Laughing Gas version RP is talking about, I believe, is a completely different version than any of us have ever heard.
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

Wow Laughing Gas is two different shows? Didn't know that. I have always known that it was live just I just never knew that it was two different shows.
The reason I brought this up is because it is the clearest live version of the song. Randy Perry said that it was a studio session live track.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Here ya go. Ironface at rr.tk posted this, which is also straight from the John Stix interview with Kevin Dubrow:
It's all live, but the catch is the first half of the song and solo is all from The Starwood in 1977, but the 2nd half of the solo is take from a 1979 show that is circulating on video. Kevin discussed it in 93:

Kevin Dubrow:The most interesting experiment I did as far as everything I ever learned was with "Laughing Gas"- the first half of Randy's solo guitar piece is from 1977; the second half is from 1979. I had these tapes recorded on a Teac in 1977 at the Starwood. Each instrument was on a different track. We isolated Randy's guitar, and in '77 his guitar playing was excellent but it wasn't like it was in '79 right before he joined up with Ozzy. I have this videotape from '79 that we are going to be releasing. The latter part of the solo, after the Echoplex part stops, is from '79. That's where he quotes "Dee" and "Goodbye to Romance." I took it right off the one audio track of the 3/4" videotape. We were working on a song that day and I remembered how great that solo was. We brought it over to a studio to listen to it. Watching it, you see Randy was such a great performer. Listening I said, "We've got to figure out a way to use this." Listen and you'll notice the second half of the solo from '79 has all the audience on there, it was distantmiked. We tried every gimmick they had in the studio to bring some presence out of it. We did a cross-fade between the '77 and '79 solo and then back into the '77 solo after the "Crazy Train" section.

John Stix: Is it the whole ‘79 solo?

Kevin Dubrow: It's just part of the '79 solo. The first part of the solo had drums on it. The whole audio was on one track. We cross-fade after the stop chords from "Crazy Train" into the Who-type chords. You can hear the sound change a little bit. We brought some Randy fans into the studio to see if it was weird. Even I questioned if it was weird to do or not. Everybody hear how great the solo was. They said, "It doesn't make a difference, it's great guitar playing. Everybody is going to dig it." That's the one that got Mrs. Rhoads going.
http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewto ... ughing+gas
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

haha that's pretty cool! i didn't know that! to be honest this kind of makes me mad that kevin did this. don't get me wrong i love the hell out of that version but i would really like to hear the original...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I actually think the RR Years version of Laughing Gas is the worst one I've heard... the reunion show version is pretty cool, but the best version is from the Starwood in August '79 in my opinion (of the boots I've heard).
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Japanese bootleg and song titles; Go insane - Laughing gas, Going alright - Gonna have a riot, My baby - Lie back and let me in baby, I'm guessing Slick Black Cadillac is supposed to be Rats and Police (isn't there a siren???)?
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I actually think the RR Years version of Laughing Gas is the worst one I've heard... the reunion show version is pretty cool, but the best version is from the Starwood in August '79 in my opinion (of the boots I've heard).
id love to hear it!
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

hansolo wrote:Japanese bootleg and song titles; Go insane - Laughing gas, Going alright - Gonna have a riot, My baby - Lie back and let me in baby, I'm guessing Slick Black Cadillac is supposed to be Rats and Police (isn't there a siren???)?
is that ture? thanks man!