Favorite QR song?

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Iron Maiden is a band which has evolved and changed over the years. Maiden didn't reach the big time until Number of the Beast, in fact they were still an opening act while supporting that record.

As far as I know, the current lineup still features Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, & Bruce Dickenson. Nicko joined in 1984 because Clive Burr couldn't continue. That much different than kicking people out and replacing them due to personality conflicts or having members die and continuing to prostitute the band's name.

AC/DC continued after Bon Scott's death, but they made it clear that they were doing it out of respect.

When Rick Allen lost his arm, Def Leppard refused to continue unless he could be their drummer (then they lost credibility when Steve Clarke died and they simply replaced him).

And the greatest hard rock band of all time - LED ZEPPELIN - disbanded when John Bonham died, realizing that Led Zeppelin was Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham and to change any of the ingredients would change the band.

My original point was that when Paul Shortino came into Quiet Riot, none of the band members were original Quiet Riot members. It was bad enough that the "Quiet Riot" of Metal Health fame had only one original member - although Rudy Sarzo did play in the band with Randy Rhoads and Kevin DuBrow.

In my opinion, they should have put out a record under a different name and let the music carry them. Like Damageplan did when two members of Pantera refused to record - they started a new band rather than replace members.

Don't even get me started on Sammy joining Van Halen.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Could not your Iron Maiden argument be applied to QR? They didn't make it big until Metal Health, and were an opening act on that tour.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Follis wrote:Could not your Iron Maiden argument be applied to QR? They didn't make it big until Metal Health, and were an opening act on that tour.
True, but they didn't go by "Quiet Riot" until Randy Rhoads died. Before that they were "DuBrow" - Kevin claims that the name change back to QR was because it was a better name and he originally came up with it for the band. It is interesting that an interest in Quiet Riot caim about with the passing of Randy Rhoads and a year later "Quiet Riot" released Metal Health

I do see your point Follis, and it does seem to apply up until Kevin was kicked out and Paul Shortino was brought in.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote: As far as I know, the current lineup still features Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, & Bruce Dickenson.
You know that Bruce Dickinson isn't the original singer huh ? ;)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote: As far as I know, the current lineup still features Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, & Bruce Dickenson.
You know that Bruce Dickinson isn't the original singer huh ? ;)
Yeah, I saw Maiden with DiAnno on the Killers tour (also with Battlezone)... Adrian Smith isn't original either he replaced Dennis Stratton after the first album, though I've never read anything about why he was replaced.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Dennis Stratton was a bit older than the rest of the band and had a very different taste in music. The rest of the band would be into Sabbath and Priest and stuff so they would always listen to that kind of stuff in the tour bus but Stratton was bored of all of that so he would hang out with the crew or KISS. He would travel with pretty much anyone he could find to get to know new people and stuff but to Maiden it seemed like he was trying to avoid them. It wasn't because of his playing that he got kicked out, it was apparently completely based on his attitude. Steve and the manager Rod Smallwood got tired of Dennis "avoiding" the band and so he had to be replaced. I think that Adrian is a lot more like Maiden than Dennis was, he fits in a lot better.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Very interesting, thanks for the insight.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

No problem, I'm a big Maiden fan as well as Randy so I read a lot about them and stuff.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Rocky...My comment about Shortino was just a joke. You KNOW what a big Dubrow fan I am!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I will say that I agree with your sentiments regarding bands with little or no original members though......I also appreciated your point about "Dubrow" becoming "Quiet Riot" simply because of Kevin Dubrow's past association with Randy Rhoads......very true.
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

It's also a great name. Spencer Proffer (their producer) wanted to call them Wild Oscar!
bubba

Post by bubba »

My favorite QR song is "Laughing Gas." Nothing else comes close.
randyriot

Post by randyriot »

i like laughing gas and slick black cadillac. those are killer tunes. mind you they are all really good, in my opinion! :lol:
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

driving me crazy. afterglow. killer girls. just one, huh?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I think "It's not so funny" was nice song. On the "Randy Rhoads Years" it sounds really nice and heavy! And with one of the best solos Randy did in QR imo.

And course "Laughing Gas", my favorite version of that is the QR reunion show where he is playing some Blizzard solos to try out live. Great guitarsound there!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
mj_patrick

Post by mj_patrick »

I would say "You Drive Me Crazy" is probably my current favorite, although "Slick Black Cadillac" "Killler Girls" and"Trouble" are great songs as well.