Drew Forsyth vs Alex Van Halen

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alex1251

Drew Forsyth vs Alex Van Halen

Post by alex1251 »

I read an interview where Kevin DuBrow said that Van Halen had a better rhythm section, and i didn't understand why he would say that about Garni/Sarzo and Forsyth until I heard QR I and compared it to VH I. Do any of you also think AVH blows this guy outta the water? Hes good but he is basic, he reminds me more of a Phil Rudd while AVH reminds me of Bonham or Moon. But does what Kevin said mean that he thinks Randy is better than Eddie Van Halen and himself better than DLR?
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Well Drew was just an average drummer in QR, and I doubt Drew still plays. Alex has been playing for a way longer time now.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Kelly told me that even though he played in a number of bands with Drew, they were never "friends". If that's the case, then Kelly and Randy must have been impressed by his playing.

Don't go by the QR 1 recording because it was poorly produced. If Ted Templeman had recorded Quiet Riot, it'd sound much different.

As for Alex Van Halen being a great drummer? No, I don't think so. He is limited in his ability compared to a LOT of drummers. Listen to the drumming on Queensryche's first EP and compare Scott Rockenfield's drumming to the first Van Halen record.

Alex always sounds the same to me. Like he knows one or two beats and uses them over, and over, and over, and over...

Now as for Kevin's opinion of Eddie and Roth? Of course he preferred Randy, 99.9% of the people who knew Randy preferred his playing to EVH. I remember reading that Kevin thought Roth was one of the greatest front men of all time.
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

I think Alex Van Halen's drumming on 1984 is just mind blowing. But yeah, I think Roth is the best front man of all time even though on some of his late Van Halen footage before he left in 85 his vocals just f-ing suck, but he catches the crowds attention, I saw a Romeo Delight video and his voice just right out sucked but he had the crowd at his fingertips. I read in a youtube comment that his voice blew out or died out or something like that in like 81 or something, but then again everyone on Youtube is a BS-er/hater.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

alex1251 wrote:I think Alex Van Halen's drumming on 1984 is just mind blowing. But yeah, I think Roth is the best front man of all time even though on some of his late Van Halen footage before he left in 85 his vocals just f-ing suck, but he catches the crowds attention, I saw a Romeo Delight video and his voice just right out sucked but he had the crowd at his fingertips. I read in a youtube comment that his voice blew out or died out or something like that in like 81 or something, but then again everyone on Youtube is a BS-er/hater.
His playing on 1984 was very good and had taken a leap from earlier albums. I think early Alex and Drew were on a par Alex progressed but who knows about Drew, we never heard him after May 1980.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I think Alex drumming on VH's "Pouncake" is really great, especially the sound! 8)
And I like his drumming way better than Drew Forsyth. Alex would complement Randy's style much better I guess. More power!
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:I think Alex drumming on VH's "Pouncake" is really great, especially the sound! 8)
And I like his drumming way better than Drew Forsyth. Alex would complement Randy's style much better I guess. More power!
well, in the end Randy did get Tommy Aldridge. :D
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

alex1251 wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:I think Alex drumming on VH's "Pouncake" is really great, especially the sound! 8)
Now he is the drummer who was meant to play with Randy 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Trigger wrote:
alex1251 wrote:
Now he is the drummer who was meant to play with Randy 8)
Oh yeah! Tommy Aldridge is awesome.
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

Well...

Drew was actually pretty good playing live. He had a kind of "marching band" style at times. In fact, his spotlight solo was often him with one drum hanging around his neck on a strap for a solo on a solo drum (while standing on something behind his kit that made him tower above the set), mixed in with a standard drum solo on either side. Pretty cool to watch, IMHO.

Has this been caught on any of the QR DVD's out there? I do not remember seeing his solo on the two shows I have.

I do think that AVH is a better, more skilled, player in general. I was able to see both play during the same period of time (77-79).

Regards,
Gary
johnorlitta

Post by johnorlitta »

Does anyone know what ever became of Drew Forsythe?
"Mother, please show the children
Before it's too late
To fight each other, there's no one winning
We must fight all the hate"
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

I'm kinda curious what he looks like.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Go here to see what Drew looks like http://www.fpath.com/rrforum/index.php
Click on film photos.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Randy Magic wrote:He had a kind of "marching band" style at times.
That's what I think that didn't complement Randy's style well.
Just a matter of taste. Give him T.A. anyday! 8)
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Sarab wrote:Go here to see what Drew looks like http://www.fpath.com/rrforum/index.php
Click on film photos.
Now that was a cool thread. Thank you.