Drew Forsyth vs Alex Van Halen

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

This hardly infuriates me. Drew is a great drummer and friend. In my opinion he is better than Alex Van Halen, Tommy Lee and Robert Sweet. Drew could hold his own. Drew and Randy were the only real talent in the band anyway till Rudy Joined.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

No need for the annoyed eyeroller then, eh?
I'm sorry, but the eyeroller guy just bugs!
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

No it's just the drummers listed while good aren't stellar from a drummers perspective. Cozy Powell is def top shelf in regards to rock drumming. Tommy Lee and Robert Sweet get put in the shelf labeled visual eye candy for the 80's women. Solid players but nothing spectacular. Peart if you listen to the guy repeats himself a ton. He peaked on 2112. But he is a great and consistent. Aldridge was known from his BOA days before Ozzy but Ozzy made the guy a household name.

Terry Bozzio > All of them
Steve Smith > All of them
Billy Cobham > same as above, but maybe better than the above two mentioned.

We didn't even include old school greats like Ed Shaughnessy or Buddy Rich.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I posted videos of drummers I like, that is all. I considered including Buddy Rich, but thought I'd keep it to rock drummers. As for Lee Kerslake, I couldn't find a drum solo video.

Now, in the past I avoided ever jumping on the bandwagon to attack you in the past when you start attacking people, but today I've just got to say, please give it a rest. Every drummer listed is better at what they do than you are, yet you insist on criticizing them. Robert Sweet could drum circles around any number of guys. I didn't even get into guys like Randy Castillo or Matt Cameron, both of whom are very talented.

You have your opinions, based on your tastes, which is fine. But they are only opinions. You write like you are an authority because Drew taught you to play. Stop with the encyclopedia comments, dude. No one cares if Aldridge played with Black Oak Arkansas prior to Ozzy - by the way, why not mention that Quiet Riot supported Black Oak for an L.A. gig and that Randy met Tommy prior to the Ozzy gig?

Everyone who makes the attempt to play should get credit in my book. Randy Rhoads was great, but others are equal - if not better - from a pure talent basis. Same thing goes for Drew. He was good, but others are just as good, if not better. Alex Van Halen is perfect for the band he is in. He keeps the rhythm Ed needs to do his thing. So what? It's not the mid-70's anymore, there is no competition between Van Halen and Quiet Riot - Randy and Eddie - Drew and Alex. Until Alex Van Halen starts selling real estate, there is really no comparison. Drew is a former pro musician, Alex is still a pro musician. Neither one effects the price of gas, so who cares?
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

I really like Randy Castillo's drumming and he admitted he used triggers. I think most guys do now. He was a great fit for Ozzy.

I think I misunderstood you Paul so for what it's worth I am sorry. I thought it was going to be a lets bash Drew fest. I saw the comments Dubrow made and as you know those two hated each other. So I don't hold any merit to what Kevin said in regards to Drews playing. Like I said Drew was good enough for him to play in DuBrow after Quiet Riot. So Kevins story doesn't jive.

Those guys probadly are better than me but I could hold my own on the drum kit back when I was playing full time.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I LOVED Randy Castillo. Probably my favorite Ozzy drummer, bar none.
The best band Ozzy ever had IMHO was Zakk, Geezer, and Randy!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

NicDots wrote:I imagine that Dutch wanted to infuriate you
Oh no, that wasn't my intention :lol: , like Paul just adding some of my favorite drummers, that's all!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

It really doesn't! I love watching that Philadelphia show...such awesome chemistry and everyone is kicking ass! I wish they'd give that show a real official release...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Two more drummers I really like are:

Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam/Soundgarden)

Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)

Now if you really want to discuss amazing drummers, I'm thinking Rick Allen should be mentioned.

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

:twisted: :P
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

Rick Allen gets huge props for totally reteaching his mind and body how to play drums and being dedicated to pull that off.

I agree the best version of Ozzy's band post Rhoads was Geezer, Castillo and Wylde. That band just smoked.

Nice addition with Pearl Jams drummer.