Mama

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alex1251

Mama

Post by alex1251 »

Why would Kevin completely change Mama's Little Angels lyrically into Last Call For Rock & Roll? I know he probably tried to preserve QR's "metal" image but why would he do that if that was early Quiet Riot. I've been listening to QR I and QR II and i thought The Randy Rhoads years were good but the original versions completely blow RR years outta the water IMO.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Last edited by frank on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It's because Kevin always promoted Kevin first. Bringing Randy to the public was secondary.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

That may be your opinion of why Kevin did what he did; I would disagree.
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

I read an interview where he said releasing QR I and II was up to the surviving 3 members because they outvoted the dead one(randy), so Im not really sure about the trying to make it presentable to Dee, well I guess maybe out of respect, but they shoulda put Ravers on instead if they were gonna do that to Mama little angels.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

cableguyxx wrote:That may be your opinion of why Kevin did what he did; I would disagree.
True, it is only one man's opinion, but I believe Kevin put this out when he did to further the Quiet Riot name. I also believe he changed the name from Dubrow to Quiet Riot to capitalize on Randy's popularity.

To change the mix and enhance the guitar is fine for a spotlight on Randy. To change lyrics, resing the song and change the title puts the focus on Kevin.

I like the CD for what it is, but I disagree with changing the past. I will always feel that Randy's mom should see Quiet Riot for what it was: Randy's formative years that led to what he became. If nobody released music until it was "perfect" we wouldn't have many things to listen to.
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

I'd have to go with Darin here. Not only did Kevin have to make this presentable for the people who control Randy's estate, he had to make it presentable for someone to (want to) release it commercially.

You figure that the die-hard fans are going to buy it regardless and probably have the originals, so you tweak some things here and there to try to pick up a few more along the way and make it a little more acceptable to modern standards. Did he go overboard? Maybe on a few things but I was always happy to hear Randy's playing at a quality level that DID NOT exist before this release. Kevin may have dressed it up a bit, but it was still Randy playing all the guitars on that cd.

Last Call for Rock and Roll may have originally been Mama's Little Angels... but, Mama's Little Angels was originally called On The Highway. I can't believe they changed the lyrics from the ORIGINAL original!!
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

at least the slick black cadillac with Carlos on guitar is basically the same thing. But yeah at least we get to hear some new(old) randy stuff once every 15 years.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Also, they changed the name from DuBrow to QR for other reasons. It's an awesome name, and their producer wanted to call them Wild Oscar.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Funny,I just listened to mamas little angels (original) for the 1st time in a while & its cool butt I can see why Kevin changed it & actually I give him mad props because its hard to write a whole new melody and hook to music that had already had lyrics & such.But in reality like Kev said the original Lyrics were "Juvinal" & Kevin wasnt that good a singer on those albus he didnt develop he trademark shreek untill later on.Kevin went through a HUGE painsteaking process to put that album out.He had to have the Analog master reels baked in an oven for 8hrs just to get them to play because the Oxide had sarted to shift due to poor storage of them over the years & Kevin paid for that w/alot of his own money.The masyers wernt that great either he had to use drum trigger/samples on this song too .The song was probibly Managments "Bay city rollers " Idea too which wasnt to much the original QR idea,so I'd have re-wrote it too.
I mean,C'mon they sing about playing baseball in the house LOL

As for Ravers.I do recall reading that one of the reels from QRI was lost/missing couldnt be found altogether,
stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: Mama

Post by stealaway »

Back to the coast rules !!! AKA West coast try-outs...
Mikel