a third album with randy

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

a third album with randy

Post by rice_pudding »

i just wondered, how close were QR to doing a third album before randy left?

its my understanding they were writing and recording new songs but was a new release in the works.

and on a side note do studio versions of shakedown or one in a million exist?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

They had no record deal, so anything they were working on would have been for a demo tape.
LOVEBANDITS

QUIET RIOT 3

Post by LOVEBANDITS »

There's a bootleg album/cd titled Quiet Riot 3 which has a cover song on it of Quinn the Eskimo. Kevin told me that this is a bootleg as there was no 3 w/ RR. He said it was just leftover material,that someone had put out. I think it rocks!
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/LOVEBANDITSBAND
LeapFrog

Re: a third album with randy

Post by LeapFrog »

There's very little to suggest that QR would've survived much longer even if Randy hadn't bailed. And though they were a large draw, they were playing out less and less.

And let's face it: The RR version of QR just wasn't that good. The songs were goofy and kind of lame (with a few obvious exceptions). It takes the right chemistry to make a great band, and luckily for Kevin, he found that later, saving him from (permanent) obscurity.

I have a boot with a song called "Kiss of Death," and that's a great song. "Slick, Black Cadillac" and "Teenage Anthem (Set Me Free)" and "Shakedown" are all fine songs. "Picking Up the Pieces" too. The rest seem like b-grade filler.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Breaking Up Is A Heartache
Picking Up The Pieces
Shakedown
One In A Million
Teenage Anthem

were written after QR 2. Kevin said they were going for a more "pop" sound to try an secure a US record deal. All of the above song were recorded for demo with the exception of Teenage Anthem. BUT, the music for teenage Anthem was later used on a Quiet Riot song called Winners Take All. Randy did NOT recieve any writting credit. I always found that sad. But i suppose if the original was never recorded then their wasn't any copyright to show he deserved songwritting cred. As far as I understand Randy also played Bass on those tracks and wrote the lyrics for Breaking Up Is A Heartache. This is my favorite QR track with Randy.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
LeapFrog

Post by LeapFrog »

I posed the question of writing credit about "Teenage Anthem/Winner Takes All" on the old QR board. Frankie Benalli said that Kevin was more-than-fair in sharing writing credit. He said that sometimes Kevin was even "generous" in sharing credit.

Once I read an interview with Kevin and he said that some songs were credited on the albums/CDs as being solely written by him, but when he registered the songs with ASCAP and BMI, the songs were registered differently for the purposes of royalties. He mentioned some songs specifically, and I looked them up online and sure enough, the songs were registered differently than the album credits.

While some bands split the songwriting credits differently, what a songwriter's royalty is for is the melody and lyric to a song. The guitar riff or whatever isn't paid a royalty for that--unless the band decides to include that as part of the song. A guitarist would, however, get paid what is called a mechanical royalty based on sales and broadcasts of the songs.

Who knows how Randy was paid by Ozzy. Was he just a hired hand working for a salary and a salary alone? Or was he being paid a salary plus royalties? If how Ozzy treated Daisley and Kerslake is any indication, Randy was just getting paid a salary.

At any rate, we know that Randy wasn't very happy in his situation at the time of his death, but there has never been any mention--as far as I know--of that dissatisfaction stemming from money.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I have always stated that I thought Kevin ws the most loyal and honest person when it came to Randy. And that he didn't use Randy to continue to get his own name out there. I wasnt' trying to imply that kevin f*cked his name out of the credits for winners take all. It was just something I always wondered about. Kevin may have written the music also as he did for SLICK BLACK CADILLAC.
LeapFrog

Post by LeapFrog »

No, I didn't think that at all, Axeman.

For all of Kevin's coke-fueled, ego-driving mouthing that he did in the early '80s, he seemed like a really nice guy at the end of his life--a guy who'd learned from his mistakes and had grown up some.

I do respect that he never really wanted to use Randy's legacy. I had some misgivings about the Randy Rhoads Years CD but only after the fact when the songs and guitar playing turned out to be so disappointing.

What I appreciate now about that CD is that Kevin listened to what the fans wanted and did his best to make it happen. He might've made a little bit of money off of it, but so what. His time and energy are worth something.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Agreed. And he deserved to make a little off it. He worked hard on that album. I actually love that CD. It doesn't compete with the Ozzy material but thats wasn't the point. Like you said.. Kevin did what he could to make it he best it could be. rewrote lyrics.. resang the songs.. beefed up Randy's tone. I think he did a great job.
roballyn

Post by roballyn »

i've downloaded 13 tracks of "unreleased" Quiet Riot w/ Randy. If i didn't know better, i'd bet they were 1st or 2nd gen from Kevin's masters. Most of you have likely heard these, but i do see a lack of Quiet Riot audio on the site. If someone can coach me on uploading, I'd be happy to include them to the Audio section. Best copy of Quinn the Eskimo I've heard( and i've heard a lot of crappy ones!). Some tracks are demos of QR1 and leftovers (i.e. Gonna Have a Riot w/ no vocals) but real gems none the less.

1.Suicide Show
2.Just How You Want It
3.West Coast Tryouts(Back to The Coast)
4.Force of Habit (verse riff became Suicide Solution)
5. The Mighty Quinn
6.Always on the Run
7.Cash on the Line
8.Breaking Up Is A Heartache
9.One in A Million
10.Shakedown
11.Gonna Have a Riot (no vocals)
12.Picking Up The Pieces
13.Slick Black Cadillac (different from QR II)
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Well, Randy left in '79 to go with Ozzy. He left not too long after the second one was released, plus they had no record deal with the U.S. Knowing all of this, we can guess that Quiet Riot wasn't too concerned about a third album while Randy was still there, although I can be wrong. I wish they released an album of all unreleased tracks from the Randy Rhoads years. They only released a few on the Randy Rhoads Years album while the rest of them were songs already on albums that they released in '77 and '79.
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

While we are on the subject talking about Quiet Riot and the Randy Rhoads years cd. Did Kevin Dubrow ever say that he had enough material or songs for two cd's that he was working on while he was making the Quiet Riot R.R. years cd ??

I could be wrong but, I thought I remember him mentioning something about it and always wondered IF he actually recorded other songs that were not included on the first Q.R. R.R.Years release and maybe planned on releasing a second Randy Rhoads volume 2 down the road? I don't think he made a lot of money off of releasing it and he probably spent more money making it? But, I'm glad Kevin did this and enjoy what he gave us and will always wonder IF there was more that he had that never came out.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!! Scott
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

scooterh67 wrote:While we are on the subject talking about Quiet Riot and the Randy Rhoads years cd. Did Kevin Dubrow ever say that he had enough material or songs for two cd's that he was working on while he was making the Quiet Riot R.R. years cd ??

I could be wrong but, I thought I remember him mentioning something about it and always wondered IF he actually recorded other songs that were not included on the first Q.R. R.R.Years release and maybe planned on releasing a second Randy Rhoads volume 2 down the road? I don't think he made a lot of money off of releasing it and he probably spent more money making it? But, I'm glad Kevin did this and enjoy what he gave us and will always wonder IF there was more that he had that never came out.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!! Scott
Just my opinion, but I always took his comment more as he was reffering to the other QR songs that they had recorded together. Not so much that he had cleaned up any more than the 10 that was released. Seems like he also talked about releasing a DVD. That would have been awesome!
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

Thanks Axeman! I guess I read it wrong or thought that he had cleaned up other songs but, you are probably right. It would of been really awesome IF he had and released a volume 2 though.

As far as the DVD I think I remember Kevin saying that he had 4 or maybe more? Super 8 master reels of shows with Randy when they were in Quiet Riot that he had loaned to someone from VH-1 because they were going to do a episode of the group on the show but, unfortunately they were all stolen. I don't think he ever found out who took them or even got them back! I'm not sure if they are the same shows that are floating around from the Star Wood Club OR if they were from other shows but, it would of been cool to see. I just wonder how much more Kevin had of Randy Rhoads related items or material that never came out and sadly, will never see the light of day. Think about it! He was kind to us for sharing some of the rare gems that he had like the song Come and Gone but I'm sure he had many more stuff that WE will never get to hear.

Thanks Again! Scott
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

yeah... Kevin was always in that boat of "When there is a changing of the guard I will have permission and I will share some more stuff with the world" Like you said, sadly that will never happen now.