Interesting Read RE: Quiet RIot

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Interesting Read RE: Quiet RIot

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I just happened across this and don't know just what to make of it... in a lot of ways it comes across as BS, but then again, I knew people before they became famous, so I suppose these statements are possible...

Frank, do you remember who replaced Randy in Quiet Riot? I always thugh the band broke up and became "DuBrow".
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Re: Interesting Read RE: Quiet RIot

Post by frank »

RockyRhoads wrote:I just happened across this and don't know just what to make of it... in a lot of ways it comes across as BS, but then again, I knew people before they became famous, so I suppose these statements are possible...

Frank, do you remember who replaced Randy in Quiet Riot? I always thugh the band broke up and became "DuBrow".
yeah, it did become "dubrow". i vividly remember randy telling me this with a smirk on his face. not sure about the players, although greg leon does ring a bell. he may have been a former student too.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Interesting Read RE: Quiet RIot

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:yeah, it did become "dubrow". i vividly remember randy telling me this with a smirk on his face.
I can see why that would bring a smirk... a lot of people thought that Kevin changed the name back to Quiet Riot to cash in on Randy's fame. Rudy says in his book that Kevin ask permission from Randy, but wh really knows...

Thanks for the info, Frank. That article seemed fishy because he claims to be Tommy Lee's friend and he rented his personal amp to bot Randy and Eddie Van Halen... as I said, it could have happened...
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

I actually kinda saw Dubrow at Filthy McNasties in North Hollywood (aka The FM Station), I think I remember Doug's band "Rhoads" opened. This was in 1980 or early '81, I believe.

How did I "kinda" see the show - it was a 18 and older club and Randy was not there to put me on the family guest list, like he did at the Whiskey and the Starwood for the QR shows. This was a block from my house, so a bunch of went and "hung out" outside until well into the "Dubrow" set - it was loud enough to hear pretty well, though I do not remember liking the sound at all.

I cannot remember now who was playing guitar for Dubrow, but apparently, he was someone that Randy knew too - that's all I can remember right now.

Frank, any ideas?

(my memory could subconciously be combining two separate shows at FM, but I doubt it)
frank

Post by frank »

Randy Magic wrote:I actually kinda saw Dubrow at Filthy McNasties in North Hollywood (aka The FM Station), I think I remember Doug's band "Rhoads" opened. This was in 1980 or early '81, I believe.

How did I "kinda" see the show - it was a 18 and older club and Randy was not there to put me on the family guest list, like he did at the Whiskey and the Starwood for the QR shows. This was a block from my house, so a bunch of went and "hung out" outside until well into the "Dubrow" set - it was loud enough to hear pretty well, though I do not remember liking the sound at all.

I cannot remember now who was playing guitar for Dubrow, but apparently, he was someone that Randy knew too - that's all I can remember right now.

Frank, any ideas?

(my memory could subconciously be combining two separate shows at FM, but I doubt it)
there's actually a wikipedia entry for kevin dubrow. it lists carlos cavazo as the guitarist for 'dubrow'.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i know Greg Leon used to jam with Tommy Lee before
he hooked up with Sixx.
frank

Post by frank »

Hey guys, i got this information from a good friend and trusted source. i will present it verbatim:

After Randy and Rudy left, Quiet Riot disbanded as you know and Kevin formed "Dubrow" with Greg Leon on guitar and Drew Forsyth on drums (the bassist name eludes me at the moment, but it wasn't Rudy initially, as he joined Angel). Greg Leon played with them a few months and they even played "Thunderbird" live with Greg in 1980, as well as a few Randy-era Quiet Riot songs and some covers, sprinkled with some original (but nothing noteworthy) material. Mitch Perry was up next (he later went on to fail an Ozzy audition, replace Yngwie Malmsteen in Steeler, play with Billy Sheehan in Talas, Michael Schenker in MSG, Heaven and Heart), but he lasted only two gigs with Dubrow. Later Bob Steffan joined Dubrow and he was in the band when Randy joined them onstage in LA at a few gigs, loaning Randy his Dean guitar to jam on in 1981. After Bob left, Carlos Cavazo was drafted in, as their last guitarist, after his band Snow broke up. Carlos's brother Tony also joined on bass and Frankie Banali was already in, replacing Drew awhile back. Tony was then let go, Chuck Wright was brought in on bass, then Chuck was let go in favor of Rudy Sarzo during the recording of "Metal Health".

So anyways, yeah, Greg Leon was never in Quiet Riot, but in Dubrow for a short while. I think he was also in Dokken (pre-George Lynch) and later formed his own band, the Greg Leon Invasion. Here's Dubrow when he was asked the question in 1983:

Metal Forces: A guy named Greg Leon is claiming he was in Quiet Riot.

Dubrow: "He is? No, he was in Dubrow, but never Quiet Riot. He was the first one to get fired. First one in, first one out."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Thanks Frank, that's kind of what I thought.

What do you know of Randy's feelings towards Drew? Kevin has often said Drew "wasn't the right drummer," and that's why the original Quiet Riot never made it. Kelly told me that even though Drew was in a number of bands with he and Randy, he (Kelly) never really liked the guy.

So I'm wondering how Randy felt? I've heard the QR shows with Randy and thought Drew sounded at least as good as Frankie Banali. So I'm curious as towhy he is so criticized by his former bandmates.
frank

Post by frank »

RockyRhoads wrote:Thanks Frank, that's kind of what I thought.

What do you know of Randy's feelings towards Drew? Kevin has often said Drew "wasn't the right drummer," and that's why the original Quiet Riot never made it. Kelly told me that even though Drew was in a number of bands with he and Randy, he (Kelly) never really liked the guy.

So I'm wondering how Randy felt? I've heard the QR shows with Randy and thought Drew sounded at least as good as Frankie Banali. So I'm curious as towhy he is so criticized by his former bandmates.
randy never spoke badly of drew. of course you must understand randy never spoke badly of anyone. not to me anyways. truly a noble human being. the only thing i can remember was a criticism of the recording on q.r.ll. he complained that the drums sounded like drew was banging on trash cans, but that was a comment on the sound recording, not drews ability.

randy really hated those quiet riot albums. he felt that they weren't representative of the band at all.

drew was very quiet. i didn't know him at all. i maybe said hi to him once or twice. a very reclusive person, but i believe randy admired his playing.

i always thought the band was tight. the band was very tight. they put on a very powerful live show.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

frank wrote:randy never spoke badly of drew.
I never rated Drew as a drummer when I was an active drummer myself, BUT I have listened to those old live shows in the past few months and I have revised my oppinion. I think he was perfect for QR and was a more individual player than the drummers who came after him in the QR of the 80's, I dont rate lee Kerslake very highly compared to Tommy but Drew did his job well remembering that he was playing material written 30 years ago.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
brenton4you

Post by brenton4you »

Greg and his GF were at the gravesite on MARCH 19th.
We spoke briefly as our bands had done some shows together back in the 80's around the sunset strip. NICE guy,,does good work on AMPS.
Peace
ITS ALL ABOUT THE RHOADS