The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shred1
Madman

The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Post by shred1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOqb1pvT4NI

Interview with Steve Machat - music biz deal-maker (for lack of a better term).
Quite insightful. Somewhat hard to follow, however.
Answers plenty of questions regarding the contracts and legal hurdles involved in launching the Blizzard.
Stiltzkin

Re: The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Post by Stiltzkin »

very interesting :)

so, if I'm getting this right, Blizzard was signed to one contract(CBS) and to another contract(EMI) under another name
where Ozzy was the only one signed due to the others having lawyers. Now since Ozzy despised CBS, the dove-biting took place
and when CBS dropped the contract it became void, hence the other contract becoming the main active one...and this were
the contract where the band was signed as Ozzy Osbourne?

I'm probably wrong, but my head still hurts from trying to understand bussiness mumbojumbo :P
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

My take away was that Ozzy & Don Arden wanted to be on EMI/Captitol globally, who eventually made an offer, which was bettered by CBS/Sony at the 11th hour, having already passed on the Blizzard earlier.

For the sake of Machat's not wanting to deal with Bob, Lee and Randy's attorneys, Ozzy was signed to CBS as a solo artist.

Sharon's madness takes over a little later.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Surprised this interview/insight is getting no love.
Much discussion here about legalities, lawsuits, How the Blizzard became Ozzy, etc....
IMO, this interview is extremely insightful to these points from a bean-counter's point of view.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Definitely insightful, Shred, thanks for posting it. It was also definitely difficult to listen to because legalese is intentionally confusing...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

It makes sense about the rest of the band not signing any contracts so they did become easy targets to be fired without any questions or legal bull shit.
I love how the dove biting issue is juiced up and he spat the head out into the girls lap... Bull shit the camera never lies. The head fell on the floor as Ozzy spat it out you can see the dove's head just above Ozzy's cross round his neck.

ImageImage
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Ozzy was pissed off with being under CBS . Thats why he bit the Dove`s head off at the meeting.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:Ozzy was pissed off with being under CBS . Thats why he bit the Dove`s head off at the meeting.
It was a CBS meeting to get 'signed up', i spoke to Dave Tangye about this day. The meeting obviously went bad and CBS was too interested in people like Adam Ant and Duran Duran. So the publicity stunt went ahead and the rest is history.
This was a pure publicity stunt organised before they went into the place. The dove that had it's head biting off was in Ozzy's pocket, it was already dead. One of the doves that was flapping about the room was released out of a window by Dave Tangye.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Agreed. The dove incident, as described by Machat, is not exactly true.

What I find most interesting about the interview is Don Arden's role in all of this. The Sabbath/Warner Brothers connection - with the firing of Ozzy and hiring of Dio, etc.
This is before they started assembling the Blizzard.

Complicated indeed.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:Ozzy was pissed off with being under CBS . Thats why he bit the Dove`s head off at the meeting.
It was a CBS meeting to get 'signed up', i spoke to Dave Tangye about this day. The meeting obviously went bad and CBS was too interested in people like Adam Ant and Duran Duran. So the publicity stunt went ahead and the rest is history.
This was a pure publicity stunt organised before they went into the place. The dove that had it's head biting off was in Ozzy's pocket, it was already dead. One of the doves that was flapping about the room was released out of a window by Dave Tangye.

Dave Tangye isnt exactly the most reliable source though Shaun. He told me some things i was researching for people that i cross checked with the people involved and it turned out to be completely and utterly false and even then he insisted was true!

Credit out of the window.......
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nick he was at the fkn meeting. The whole story was to get a deal with CBS but they didn't want anything to do with them. The dove antics went unnoticed so Ozzy ripped the head off the dove in an organised stunt. They even brought a photographer to photograph the event. Nick when your hearing it from someone who was there an eye witness then your saying he's full of shit.. what more can i say. Or do you want to go and ask Bob he might know more details :roll:
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Nick he was at the fkn meeting. The whole story was to get a deal with CBS but they didn't want anything to do with them. The dove antics went unnoticed so Ozzy ripped the head off the dove in an organised stunt. They even brought a photographer to photograph the event. Nick when your hearing it from someone who was there an eye witness then your saying he's full of shit.. what more can i say. Or do you want to go and ask Bob he might know more details :roll:

Shaun not having a go at you mate. But listen to what im saying. Recently i spoke to Dave Tangye i was researching some photos he took ( or claimed to have ) one of them was of Bob and Randy . Tangye claims it was taken at Chepstow Castle. He also said a few things about the house in Monmouth that didnt add up either. Bob has never been to Chepstow Castle in his entire life and certainly not with Randy he didnt know what Tangye was going on about. And even after i spoke to Tangye again he still claimed they were taken at Chepstow Castle and kept insisting it as fact -even though i knew it wasnt because i grew up in the area. The only castle Bob visited with Randy was Clearwell Castle where they did pre-production for Boo.The photo doesnt even look like Chepstow.

His book " how black is our sabbath" also has incorrect info about certain locations. The fact is he cant remember certain details and has just made up the rest.

He claims some photos were Rockfield in his book. Rubbish i showed my mate who owns the house in Monmouth he said of one of the photos straight away. "Thats the pool room at Monnow" and thats definitely not Rockfield . Rockfield one place Monnow another place.Tangye doesnt know i live here in the area, i can prove what im saying is true because i know the studio well and i know the area well and i can compare photos to real locations and stories with Bob`s help and the current owners.

Im not the only one who thinks his credibility is questionable.He might have been there at the CBS meeting.But his story is completely different to Machats so who do we believe?

Some of these people have changed their stories over the years thats my point..... :roll:

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well believe WTF you like mate ...Bob has such a photographic memory just ask him.. Your obsession with Monmouth Monnow valley Rockfield etc it's not good.. It's a place RR visited not really the be all and end all. You may live there and have an interest but don't let it take over your life dude. Every subject turns back to this place.. Regardless of what you know and what you don't know.. Don't believe one guy is all in the know and the other is full of shit. My point being is you are very gullible or you'll only take my word or someone else's. Yeah the old grey matter doesn't stay good into old age remember that, but photographs and a diary are a good one to have. Just like Dave Tangye can remember places from photographs its funny how he remembers where the place was, the address and who was in the room from jet records etc. But you'll say he's talking crap cos he's not switched on with a place he's never visited ???.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well believe WTF you like mate ...Bob has such a photographic memory just ask him.. Your obsession with Monmouth Monnow valley Rockfield etc it's not good.. It's a place RR visited not really the be all and end all. You may live there and have an interest but don't let it take over your life dude. Every subject turns back to this place.. Regardless of what you know and what you don't know.. Don't believe one guy is all in the know and the other is full of shit. My point being is you are very gullible or you'll only take my word or someone else's. Yeah the old grey matter doesn't stay good into old age remember that, but photographs and a diary are a good one to have. Just like Dave Tangye can remember places from photographs its funny how he remembers where the place was, the address and who was in the room from jet records etc. But you'll say he's talking crap cos he's not switched on with a place he's never visited ???.

First of all Shaun its called Monnow Valley not Rockfield ive explained that to you before - it belongs to a good friend and his sister who are lovely people .Is that ok with you?

It was YOU who asked me to locate the house in the postcard and you who put the postcard for me here remember?!I couldve said nah find someone else. I went off and did a bit of research made a few crappy videos for people to see who still care about Rhoads.

You say its just a place RR visited? -not according to Bob they only wrote BOTH albums there. Including Crazy Train which seems to be Osbournes most known track......

Bob and Lee both signed an old Crazy Train single for the house isnt that good for the memory of Rhoads or what? Isnt that what this site is all about keeping his memory alive?

You realise 99% of the bands today who record there dont know who the fuck Randy Rhoads is dont you thats the sad truth..
Ive done my part ive found out as much as i could about Rhoads when he was here writing both albums and donated my old Crazy Train single to the house.

Thanks for the advice though mate.

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The place isn't even open to the public so why go on a mission to find out what room Randy took a dump in and what room he slept in. All the info your gathering is all for your own interest. OK Crazy Train was wrote there etc ...it doesn't get me hard. My point is what i've said don't get too obsessed over the place or places. Walking in the shadow of Randy is cool but keep it personal. I cannot remember busting your balls to go on a mission to find out everything in great detail. OK you found out an ex school friend owns the place. Cool !!!. The postcard belonged to Frank all i did was post it up and let you know about Monmouth and the places he was talking about. You asked me to come and visit, i may get down there one day but it isn't on my top 10 things to do before i die.