Don Costa

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Jake66

Don Costa

Post by Jake66 »

Anyone know what happened to this guy?? He was the band around 1983 with Jake E.Lee and was a bit crazy from what i've read about him,even too crazy for Ozzy????
Maybe someone working in a mental institution can shed some light??
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

As far as anyone knows he sank out of trace and has never been seen since kinda sad :cry: I know Ozzy punched him in a drunken rage but who has Ozzy not puched when he was drunk. The people who can claim a punch from Ozzy is like a 'who's who' of rock music. :lol:
Jake66

Post by Jake66 »

Yeah!! i remember Randy Castillo interview when he asked what was the worst thing he seen Ozzy do he said he saw him hitting Sharon,but then she beat the shit outa him!!! ha.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Jake66 wrote:Yeah!! i remember Randy Castillo interview when he asked what was the worst thing he seen Ozzy do he said he saw him hitting Sharon,but then she beat the shit outa him!!! ha.
He punched Rudy Sarzo back stage at the Longbeach Arena in April 1984 because in 1982 Rudy was supposed to play the 1982 British tour and failed to show. As aresult of Rudy going missing Ozzy got Pete Way in to replace Rudy (Pete sounded dreadful), so when Rudy showed up Ozzy saw red and decked him!!!!!

After the Pete Way stint with Ozzy failed Ozzy auditioned Don Costa and Jake E Lee and they got the job a few days after the end of the British tour. The time scale of this was very tight Ozzy played his last gig With Pete on Bass and Brad gilis on guitar on 20th December 1982. And the first gig with Don costa and JakeE Lee was on 12th January 1982 so it was a very quick turn around for the band.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well i heard that Don Costa joined a band called M80 in 1984. They made an EP and one LP and that was about it.I have a link about the band and a a couple of photos of him. Check it out...
http://www.sleazegrinder.com/SuicideNotesM80.htm
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I found this i thought it made interesting reading..
Born in San Dieggo,the teenage Costa stole his first ever Bass guitar and taught himself to play.Local bands inevitably followed,before the lure of Hollywood,150 miles to the North,became too irresistible.His first L.A. band was Dante Fox (who later became Great White).Although dismissing them later as 'gay noise crap', Dante Fox certainly gave Costa the opportunity to develope his over the top stage behaviour.It was here that he first strapped a cheesegrater onto the back of his Bass so that at one stage in the set he'd turn his bass over and start shredding his knuckles on it,resulting in blood and flesh flying everywhere.Less dramatically,he was also known for punching in his bass speaker cabinets and doing unusual things with a pick-axe.
In August 1982 Costa joined up with Blackie Lawless and his suitably wild/sick outfit WASP,but their perverse personalities clashed and after just one gross gig,he'd quit to form his own band-Damien.Damien were about as close to total outrage as it's possible to get.With session men on guitar and bass,Costa played bass and sang (like a dying dog) and wrote all the songs,sensitive ditties with titles like Hate they Neighbour, Shredded Meat (the hymn to his cheesegrater stunt) and Twelve and Under (a perverse paean to underage girls).Off stage,he had an obsession with sex that Freud would have found very interesting,telling reporters later that he liked to tape record and photograph himself 'in action'.Eventually he was planning to involve some sex acts on stage with Damien,but thankfully the Ozzy audition put a stop to that.Hearing of the auditions,Costa sent along a tape of his songs and a set of suitably crazy pictures,got a call to prove it in front of Ozzy,and passed with flying colours.
It goes on to mention that in 1983 with Ozzy's notable list of health problems and depression ect. and stuck on a tour he wasn't enjoying, inevitably someone was going to be a casualty-this time the perverted Don Costa.Although at first amused by the cranky Californian, Ozzy soon tired of his exotic and erotic excesses.'That guy is the proverbial maniac-he'd fuck a frog if he could get it to stop moving,' he said.'He wouldn't go on stage unless he'd fucked three chicks a night,every night.And he used to collect knickers-he had this boxful after about three weeks.'So what led to Costa's last stand,Oz? 'After a while you start thinking, this guy's got a sick quirk.He was just like Rasputin,the mad monk.'In the end, Ozzy got sick of it all and broke Costa's nose.
Which of course meant that Ozzy had to find yet another replacement bassist before he could start work on the next studio album,Bark at the Moon..
This leaves me thinking that this Don Costa bloke is a bit of a nutter and maybe he's on the run from the Police or looked up in some Mental asylum..
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

We can thank Don Costa's quick exit for Bob's safe return to the Ozzy Osbourne band. :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

I had always heard that the punching incident involving Rudy Sarzo was a result of remarks made against Ozzy by Kevin Dubrow.....to which Ozzy punched Rudy over......
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Trigger wrote:He punched Rudy Sarzo back stage at the Longbeach Arena in April 1984 because in 1982 Rudy was supposed to play the 1982 British tour and failed to show. As aresult of Rudy going missing Ozzy got Pete Way in to replace Rudy (Pete sounded dreadful), so when Rudy showed up Ozzy saw red and decked him!!!!!
Yeah i thought the reason why Rudy got punched of Ozzy was because of things that had been said between Kevin DuBrow and Rudy.I'm sure i posted it up a few weeks back,ive just found it:
"Ah that Quiet Riot,' he told the American press.That Kevin DuBrow-What a schmuck! And that Rudy Sarzo What a wimp.They've got a good band but they've based their success on the death of poor old Randy Rhoads.then they bad mouth me.I'll admit i wouldn't of been as successful without Randy.I feel i made him,and he made Ozzy become Ozzy.As for me singing like a frog,well one of these days,this frog will punch that Kevin DuBrow in his fuckin trap.'As it happens,Ozzy has yet to meet up with DuBrow but when he met Rudy Sarzo back stage after one of his US shows this summer (1984),true to his word he did belt his old bassist in the mouth.
Jake66

Post by Jake66 »

Thanks for the replies guys,i haven't been back to this thread in a while. Certainly a bit of a nutter by the sound of it. Cheers. 8)
zazafromjohor

Re: Don Costa

Post by zazafromjohor »

Ozzy & Don
Attachments
m80ozzyanddon.jpg
Elpowerkapo

Post by Elpowerkapo »

zazafromjohor

Post by zazafromjohor »