Ozzy's best Post-Randy Guitarist

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ozzy's best post-Randy guitarist

Brad Gillis
8%
Bernie Torme
No votes
Jake E. Lee
65%
Alex Skolnick
No votes
Zakk Wylde
23%
Joe Holmes
4%
Gus G.
No votes

Total votes: 26

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Ozzy's best Post-Randy Guitarist

Post by Axeman1956 »

Who do you think was Ozzy's best guitarist after Randys passing? Leave a short reason of why you chose who you chose.

I chose Brad Gillis simply because he was able to play Randy's songs very accurately, unlike Zakk Wylde and others who added too much Dirt to them. Brad is an amazing guitarist.
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Ozzy's best Post-Randy Guitarist

Post by Tito »

for me brad was a tremolo bar junkie and faked what he felt as far as playing...jake was an animal added his thing but not too much and simply he is an amazing guitarist...ive only seen a few videos of jake with oz so im going by that.also im not a fan of jake i just have alot of respect for him as he did one hell of a job coming in after the obvious..
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I chose Zakk simply because he has been able to produce 20+ years with Ozzy. That does say a lot. I think his playing was closer to Randy's emotion in the earlier albums, not the later ones. I also liked his "look" better back then as well.

I never got to see Jake play Ozzy's material until I watched youtube. Killer of Giants (in my opinion) is his best work because it is quite intricate and interesting to listen to.

Bernie was a little out of his league playing Randy's music. I don't think he had enough time to prove himself; especially under the circumstances.

Joe played Randy's style the best (most faithful renditions) but never recorded anything with Ozzy (or did he?). I'm STILL waiting for Joe to put something out after all of these years!!

I agree with Tito on Brad's whammy bar "trauma" overuse. However, I did watch the Hear & Aid (behind the scenes). He really is an excellent player when he lays off of the whammy bar and lets the notes breathe.

I really have no opinion of Alex because I have never heard him play Ozzy's material. I believe he only did one gig.

Gus just started with Ozzy. While he played some solos on SCREAM he has not "written" an entire album with Ozzy yet. Right now he is a hired gun. Only time will tell...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Easily, Jake E. Lee, but I will say Ozzy has always had a great guitar player irregardless of who it was. Jake just happens to be my favorite (actually, he's my favorite guitar player period).
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Jake for me...

I love how his playing was/is always very inventive and fresh. His solos with Ozzy were always exciting and (like Randy) were songs within songs!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Gata

Post by Gata »

Yeah, Jake. Not a doubt for me. I don't know what it takes to be the best, but I know what makes him my next favourite.

I remember watching a video "US festival 83", which I think I read was Jake's first appearance. I got really moved by his playing, mostly on his Bark at the Moon, as well as by his rendition of Crowley - original but still faithful to Randy's way. And later on by his spotlight solos. Although he seems to be moving a lot on stage, I think he still goes to the point without unnecessary flashy noise. I love his way of sewing sharp melodies on chords. Last but not least, his melodies make sense and take you somewhere.

By the way, I'm sure you heard this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JBzWZq4fXg :mrgreen:
"I told'em I had ridden shooting stars and said I'd show them how"
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Jake E. Lee hands down. Smoothest vibrato and pristine right hand technique.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Every guitarist listed has his own style and flavour and some are unique in different guitar styles. Brad Gillis did an excellent job filling Randy's shoes. I think Bernie Torme knew he was out of his depth. But i take my hat off to the guy, he did something alot of others would have struggled to do. He jumped into a situation not knowing what he was up against. I cannot really comment about Joe Holmes but i know Ozzy wouldn't of hired him if he thought he couldn't play. He wasn't there long enough to shine. Zakk has his long term service medal and has proving to be an honourable Ozzy guitarist who has lasted the test of time while still being active in his own band. Gus G will only get more votes as time goes by but he is proving to be a sensation on this last tour.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Alexi with Ozzy would have been really cool. Not sure how Ozzy would have felt with him using those Jackson RR copies though. (I know they aren't technically Jackson RR's, but they look damn close, in my opinion) If I remember correctly, Zakk never used his "RR" guitars with Ozzy, he used his own.

I haven't listened to a whole lot of Children Of Bodom's songs, in fact the only one I can remember hearing is their cover of "Shot In The Dark" but they did a really good job with it.

Jake would have to be my number 1 pick after Randy. I have a huge amount of respect for Brad and Bernie, they did something most people would never be able to do. And they received a lot of criticism for something that was out of their hands. So I applaud them, but musically, I'd say Jake. His music is the closest to Randy's IMO. (Meaning, it's musical, catchy, and amazing)
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Didn't know Zakk used his PDV with Ozzy. I've only seen pictures of him using his Les Pauls and his ZV guitar (Or whatever it's called)

I wonder why Ozzy's never considered (Or at least, publicly considered) Alexi as his new guitarist. Alexi obviously likes Ozzy, the only reason I could think of would be that Ozzy knows that Alexi's a big fan of Randy.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Ozzy made a comment about guitar players in a recent interview. He said that it's not until you go on the road with them do you really know who they are as a person. Ozzy never takes a guitar player cold. He has to see you in situations first and then decides if you are really what he is looking for. There are lots of fans of Ozzy but how many of us would drive him nuts with so much admiration. "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" Ozzy would be like, "Dude, fuckin' chill...' :P
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
26bond

Post by 26bond »

I voted for Jake as I love his playing on BATM...Very articulate phrasing.