Ozzy Ozzfest - San Bernardino review Cool set.

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Ozzy Ozzfest - San Bernardino review Cool set.

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ozzy Osbourne is one of the greatest entertainers in history—regardless of genre or medium. Ozzy's set at OZZfest 2010 showed him at the top of his game, and it's remarkable just how magical and "fucking metal" he is after all these years. Granted, he is the Vito Corleone of the genre, but no one can touch him.

One reason, Ozzy's still relevant is he embraces modern pop culture, while flipping it a giant middle finger. His opening montage was utterly hilarious. Similar to previous years, Ozzy inserted himself into a variety of the modern zeitgeist's most famous and infamous works. As an Avatar, he exclaimed, "I'm feeling a little blue. Are my balls blue too?" Then in a pivotal episode of Jersey Shore, he took Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino's spot and asked, "Who brought the fucking midget?" in regards to Snookie. The biggest laughs came when Ozzy popped up as Beyonce in the Lady Gaga video for "Telephone" posing a question that everyone wants to ask to Gaga, "What the fuck are you wearing?"

The only thing that could top that intro was the 90 minutes of music that followed. Ozzy kicked off the set with a blazing "Bark at the Moon." During the chorus, Ozzy barked with a nearly orchestral howl that immediately brought the crowd to its feet and kept them there for the entire show. His voice was utterly impenetrable, and he injected a new life into the classic track. It was riveting hearing this track so goddamn energized. Meanwhile, guitarist Gus G. engaged a sensory assault all his own with perfect playing. He and Ozzy shared that classic chemistry and it bubbled over at all the right moments.

"Let Me Hear You Scream" resounded with the same palpable power that "I Don't Know" did. "Mr. Crowley" cast a psychedelic spell on the crowd with Ozzy's voice and Blasko's bass swirling in unison. "Fairies Wear Boots" transported the audience back to the beginning but with a distinctly 21st century flare from Tommy Clufetos's percussive mastery. Gus G. pulled off the mind-bending "Suicide Solution" solo with precision and poise, while Blasko infused "Iron Man" with swagger and style.

"Road to Nowhere" felt poignant and poetic, as Ozzy crooned out the chorus, and "Shot in the Dark" could've awoken the dead with how much passion he put behind it. "Killer of Giants" and "Fire in the Sky" were rarely heard treats for the ready and willing crowd.

At one point, everything came together. Ozzy stared out at the amphitheater with a wide grin and announced, "I fucking mean it when I say I love you people! Man, God bless you all."

He blessed them once more with "Paranoid" and "Crazy Train," and walked off stage to a resounding roar. Ozzy's still king, and his kingdom flourishes…

—Rick Florino