Dio in Black Sabbath

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

RockyRhoads wrote:I really liked Dio with Sabbath. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are both excellent recordings.

I saw Sabbath in April of 1982(?) in Seattle with the Outlaws opening. That was one of the nights recorded for Live Evil.

Dio did mess up songs like Paranoid by ad-libbing, but for the most part I like his take on things.
Was it filmed too?
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

I just can't imagine Dio singing Paranoid. Does anybody have a boot?

Ivar
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Just buy the Live Evil album.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yeah, the Live Evil record is pretty much like a boot, the mixing sucks... I actually remember an interview with Tony Iommi saying Dio kept changing the mix so his vocals would be "up" more than Tony's guitar. That, apparently, had something to do with Dio's departure from the band.

I don't think the Mob Rules tour was filmed, but I do have a DVD of the Black and Blue tour which was for the Heaven and Hell album (and Blue Oyster Cult's Cultosaurus Erectus album), which features Paranoid in the middle of Heaven and Hell.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

But on Live Evil Dio mentions that they're filming the gig during Heaven & Hell.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

RockyRhoads wrote:Yeah, the Live Evil record is pretty much like a boot, the mixing sucks... I actually remember an interview with Tony Iommi saying Dio kept changing the mix so his vocals would be "up" more than Tony's guitar. That, apparently, had something to do with Dio's departure from the band.
I've heard a story along those lines as well. In the one I heard, Dio snuck into the studio and edited it so I always imagined Dio in a stereotypical Burglar costume tiptoeing in at night and moving the slider up a little and then climbing out the window...
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Yeah, of course it's total BS. Both Dio & Appice thought Tony & Geezer were doing that & vice versa. However, it would've taken more time than there was to make their stuff louder.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Follis wrote:But on Live Evil Dio mentions that they're filming the gig during Heaven & Hell.
That album was recorded on at least 3 different dates... I don't remember any filming the night I saw them.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

RockyRhoads wrote:
Follis wrote:But on Live Evil Dio mentions that they're filming the gig during Heaven & Hell.
That album was recorded on at least 3 different dates... I don't remember any filming the night I saw them.
Thanks!
Count Jonah

Post by Count Jonah »

Live Evil is my favorite Sabbath album. Dio has a lot more going on with his voice than Ozzy, so ofcourse it's going to sound different. His take on War Pigs, it is the best version of that song, IMO. Also the way they re-did the Dio era stuff is amazing too. Live album songs should sound different, you are getting a whole new experience from a song.
metal_head6704

Post by metal_head6704 »

Well for me Sabbath with R.J.D. is the ultimate version....the songs this lineup wrote together are some of the best Heavy Metal ever written...."Heaven And Hell" (Album) is one of the all time masterpieces...and the 3 brand new tracks just kick total ass.....If you think about it though......Sabbath with Ozzy and Sabbath with Dio are two totally different things.....sure you have the signature guitar sounds of Tony Iommi.....but Sabbath with DIO has more of a shall we say DIO sound to it.....Its very similiar to the sound that R.J.D. continued with solo.....where if ya think about it.....OZZY solo sounds less like Sabbath.....Thanx much in part to Randy Rhoads !!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RockyRhoads wrote:Yeah, the Live Evil record is pretty much like a boot, the mixing sucks... I actually remember an interview with Tony Iommi saying Dio kept changing the mix so his vocals would be "up" more than Tony's guitar. That, apparently, had something to do with Dio's departure from the band.
The new Guitar World magazine - May 2007 - adresses this issue and it is interesting to read.
RANDY RHOADS 1981

Post by RANDY RHOADS 1981 »

I downloaded a Black Sabbath - Blue Oyster Cult | Long Island, NY 1982 vhs bootleg rip and converted it to DVD with a menu to select between tracks. The picture quality is pretty good..the sound was good but thin so i ran it through some audio enhancement apps which made a very nice disk in the end.

I havnt seen a bootleg show with Dio-Sabb in the early 80's before this. Anyone else have this or like to comment on it?

Here is the tracklist:

1.) Blue Oyster - Here's Johnny
2.) Black Sabbath - War Pigs
3.) Black Sabbath - Neon Knights
4.) Black Sabbath - N.I.B
5.) Blue Oyster - Dr. Music
6.) Blue Oyster - Cities On Flame
7.) Blue Oyster - Devine Wind
8.) Black Sabbath - Iron Man
9.) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
10.) Blue Oyster - Godzilla
11.) Blue Oyster - Roadhouse Blues
12.) Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
13.) Blue Oyster - Born To Be Wild
14.) Black Sabbath - Die Young
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's Black and Blue... it was released a s a film in the 80's, I saw it in a movie theatre along with AC/DC's Let There Be Rock. I saw both bands the following year, but I would have loved to see them on the Black and Blue tour. They had Riot and Molly Hatchet open for them on that tour.

By the way, the first song is called The Marshall Plan from Blue Oyster Cult's Cultosaurus Erectus album. I particularly like the song Divine Wind and the reference to our issues with Iran at the time.
AlienSatch

Post by AlienSatch »

I agree, RJD's "PARANOID" is horrible. LOL>.........

Rocky this is for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrA1DEH6bzU

Did you hear the "RHINO" CONCERT FROM HAMMERSMITH '82!!!
SO KICK ASS, I think better than LIVEEVIL, but still love that too.

:D
Randy Rhoads Rules.