Ozzy looking to replace Zakk

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Ozzy looking to replace Zakk

Post by NicDots »

OZZY Seeks New Guitarist: I Felt Like My Stuff Was Beginning To Sound Like BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - July 10, 2009
Ozzy Osbourne has revealed to Classic Rock magazine that he is currently searching for a new guitarist for his solo band.

Classic Rock caught up with Osbourne last week at the Slash & Friends gig in Norway, where the whispers backstage had guitarist John 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, ex-MARILYN MANSON) lined up as a possible replacement for Zakk Wylde…

"Well, I'm getting a new guitar player as we speak," Ozzy told Classic Rock, "and everyone has been saying to me for a long time, 'Get Johnny 5!' And I tried him at one time and I didn't really give him a chance. We'll see, I don't know. I haven't fallen out with Zakk, but Zakk's got his own band, and I felt like my stuff was beginning to sound like BLACK LABEL SOCIETY. I just felt like I wanted a change, y'know?

"I've got a guy from Greece coming in — not the musical, the country of Greece — but I'm not going to say too much about it, 'cos I don't know myself at this point. I've got a new album, I'm working on it as we speak. I've got a studio at my house and I've got a guy called Kevin Churko, the guy that did the last album [Churko also worked on Ozzy's 'Under Cover' album, produced CHEAP TRICK's highly rated 2006 album 'Rockford', and has credits on releases by BRITNEY SPEARS, CELINE DION and SHANIA TWAIN] — he's great to work with.

"And it's great to have your own studio. On one hand it's great and on the other it's not, 'cos when you're at the studio you can go, 'Sorry darling, I can't get home for dinner, I'm stuck at the studio…' But she can fucking come down stairs now! But I'm just enjoying my life now…"

Classic Rock: So you're taking it easy recording this album?

Ozzy: "Oh yeah. Zakk came down and did a bunch of stuff and I don't know if I want to use it but I've got it there if I do. And this Kevin Churko is a bit of an all-rounder so I'm getting back to basics in some respects. One thing about a guy who can't do all the finger-tapping stuff is that he plays better on the riffs cos it's not all [hums riff for 'Iron Man' followed by over-the-top widdling]."

Classic Rock: Does HEAVEN & HELL having a new album out make you more competitive?

Ozzy: "No. Not in the slightest. I really wish them well. I mean I've been out of that band three times longer than I was ever in them. But people say, 'What do you think about Dio?' He's great singer. I've grown up since the days when I used to get pissed and slag him off. For whatever it's worth, good luck to them. I don't want to make enemies — I made enough when I was drinking, I try to make friends with people these days!"

Read more of Classic Rock's interview with Ozzy — including Osbourne's thoughts on Michael Jackson's passing — at this location.

Video footage of Ozzy performing with former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash on June 30 at this year's edition of the Quart festival in Kristiansand, Norway can be viewed below. Slash's band also included Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) on drums, Chris Chaney (JANE'S ADDICTION) on bass, John 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, MARILYN MANSON) on guitar, Franky Perez (SCARS ON BROADWAY) on guitar and Teddy Andreadis (GUNS N' ROSES, ALICE COOPER) on piano/harmonica.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oh damn ...
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

*raises hand*

Hey Ozzy, I'll do it!

Best of luck to him and whoever he picks. He seems to have a knack for choosing good guitar players. Hopefully another bloke with a Les Paul!
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

According to Zakk's Twitter, this whole being replaced thing is news to him. :(
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

NicDots wrote:According to Zakk's Twitter, this whole being replaced thing is news to him. :(
Somehow it's hard to believe Zakk actually posts on Twitter. He never actually posted at the BLS message board, did he? All I ever saw was a way to contact Nick Catanese who would pass messages to Zakk on occasion.

At any rate, I think it's about time Zakk is replaced. Ozzy's music does sound too much like BLS. Although the last one had a huge Blasko influence.

Part of the joy of Ozzy's music has always been the new, unknown axemen he discovers.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

NoQuattro wrote:Hopefully another bloke with a Les Paul!
nah, I'd like to see a guitarist with a different kind of guitar.
Like Gus G(which is from Greece by the way ;)) who plays ESP Stars.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How about someone who plays an Explorer? The last great 'Explorer' guitarist was Matthias Jabs from Scorpions... it's time for another :D
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Alex wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Somehow it's hard to believe Zakk actually posts on Twitter. He never actually posted at the BLS message board, did he? All I ever saw was a way to contact Nick Catanese who would pass messages to Zakk on occasion.
Zakk does post on Twitter. I am guessing he just never saw the beauty of it before. His wife uses it quite a lot too.

Anyway, the way he found out about it is fucked. Would think that 20 years is worth more than that. Business is business, I suppose.
I know, talk about sad. :( You'd think that the communication lines would be more open than that.

I am not opposed to Zakk being replaced though...Ozzy will find someone top notch of course.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

or something completely off, like a BC Rich ? :twisted:

seriously, I can't name 5 players that wields Explorers.
you mentioned Jabs, then there's the guy from In Flames,
and on occassion, Gary Moore.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Just looked up Gus G. He's super talented! I'd love to hear what he could throw down for Ozzy.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

To me it just doesn't feel right, it's like firing someone after more than 20 years of good service. I think they carried on too long to do that. But Zakk definitely needs some new inspiration or 'fire' to make the gigs a bit more spectacular like in the old days. (imo) Maybe we should take these Ozzy comments with a grain of salt. :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Get the Jake back :P