Ozzy looking to replace Zakk

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay Nic, I checked out a couple of those vids... first of all, I don't know if i can relate to an Ozzy who's words I can understand! Secondly, I was hoping to see Gus in action, yet during War Pigs the camera seemed to be either on Ozzy or the drummer most of the time!!

I checked out Gus on some of the Firewind vids and a soundcheck thing, and I've got to say, I hope he'll play differently with Ozzy. I don't care for that style at all. Talented guy, but not my cup of tea (kind of like Vai).
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex, I thought it was all excellent. Gus did a great job on guitar, I was referring to his own material not being my cup of tea.

Most guys would replicate the original to a major extent with Ozzy I think.

The drumming was awesome. I want to learn to drum!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Gus G does pinch harmonics? Not shocking. What metal guitarist DOESN'T do pinch harmonics?
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Peace

Is Gus not doing the same Zakk signature licks all through the show, even dressed like him a bit? ,

Ok, you guys do not know me, i am no one, but i am from Greece myself, i am honored that a Greek player from Thessaloniki emerged through a metal band that finished a Japanese tour and landed on Ozzy's lap just after 50 shows.

This show proved 2 things so far,
1- one is how far Ozzy can carry on with out any guitarist after Randy, since they are all covering the legendary RR material. , i personally can not even remember the names of any Zakk songs, i like him allot but i have not one melody in my head from any of there material together.

2-Gus is filling in for Zakk, if Gus was to replace both Zakk and Randy he would of did things his way and not dressed up like Zakk a bit with a chained wallet, shaking his hair and spreading his legs the same way Zakk does for Ozzy :) (no offense to yah brotha Zakk) but you bent over for Ozzy and got kicked.

Bottom line, Ozzy pulled this show on the crowed the way he tried to with Bernie after Randy died, when he handed him Randys cloths and pedal board, fixed up his hair....

but thats show biz, what i like is that Ozzy has been hinting on finding good guitarists to make his best ever record.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Most metal guitarists have become a caricature anyway. They all wear chains, studded wrist bands, sweat bands and spread their legs when playing and banging their head. Ozzy even wears a chained wallet as you can see in the new youtube videos. Metal has become banal and predictable. At least to me! I bet 90% of all guitarists that Ozzy has looked at in the past few years wear chains, have long straggly hair, and spread the legs out while shredding pinch harmonics. Randy wore chains, long hair and did the whole leg spread thing too. No one is really safe from those things.

I think I will reserve my judgements on Gus for a while...he's only just gotten the gig after all.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Alex wrote:My guess would be that he was given Live at the Budokan, and was told to replicate the songs or something. Or he's just a big Zakk fan.
+1
But listen to the end of "I don't know" where he is doing some wah things a bit simular of what Randy did, coincidence or maybe he listened a bit to Randy though?

Though I think Zakk will be back....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

NicDots wrote:Most metal guitarists have become a caricature anyway. They all wear chains, studded wrist bands

I think I will reserve my judgements on Gus for a while...he's only just gotten the gig after all.
So you used the word chain metaphorically and saying i am judging Gus lol Why and for what?

The Osbourne camp announced that Gus was filling in for Zakk while he is with BLS., how did the Ardens replace Randy, hand down outfits, even pedal boards, no time for rehearsals, Bernie and Brad did not even play Randy's signature licks, or move on stage like him, Gus on the other hand went from the Mettalica head bangers traditional wank your hair jackson metal head with a ESP to spread your legs Lynard Skynard biker fan Zakk thing, i think they restricted Gus from performing what he would of himself down on paper, he is simply just filling in, Joe Holmes even got to crank his amp up.

My point is simple, its not about what Gus actually did but what they made him do, he will do great with Firewind now., everyone back in Greece is writing to me saying that they are proud in how fast he landed a gig with a internationally established act like Ozzys, other friends of mine doing stage hand for Ozzy are telling me its just cause he was in L.A. and Zakk is not., Gus is a cool person and i personally wish he could stay longer to burn the stage up.

As for the rest of the cats like J5 or Slash, they do not need this gig which wold only be PR for them, its how Ozzy pays you as far as i heard, and Zakk can use it been he is promoting BLS., merchandising is profit un monitored under the table, you start a war against drugs (weed) sell your own beers pretending to be a drinker yourself and make over a million a show., do the math and see why BLS pays off playing for Ozzy.

Maybe this attachment is why Zakk is on a break:
Attachments
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I didn't use the word "chains" metaphorically. And I didn't mean to imply that you had judged Gus. But even if you had, it wouldn't have bothered me at all.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex, I watched those vids (thanks for the links, by the way) and I loved them. Gus does a great job at Ozzy's classic material.

Gabriel, I totally understand you're feeling honored that a fellow countryman has made a mark in the spotlight. I live in Seattle and felt the same when we became the center of the musical universe for a time. It's always cool when the 'local boy makes good'.

I made my judgment of Gus based on this. To me it is a cliched form of metal guitar playing that I personally don't care for. I'm sure he is capable of much more, and I won't write him off, I'll simply say I'd like to here him play in more of a mainstream radio-friendly style if he does someday take Zakk's place.

I think it's great that he has gotten the spotlight of Ozzy shining upon him right now. Whether it's permanent or temporary, he now has an opportunity to bee seen and heard. He seems to be very skilled and I respect that. I just don't care for what he plays in his own band.

For the record, I feel the same way about Zakk - greatly talented, but I really am not a fan of his playing.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

NicDots wrote:I didn't use the word "chains" metaphorically. And I didn't mean to imply that you had judged Gus. But even if you had, it wouldn't have bothered me at all.
i know your cool, i hope i did not come off wrong, i rush typing on forums...

i just tried one of those LTD les pauls with floyeds and EMGs Gus used, pretty cool guitars, ill stick to my Gibson any how., hope Zakk is ok
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I used to own an LTD Eclipse. Great guitar.