Ozzy Interview 1977 Talking about the Blizzard of Oz ?

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Ozzy Interview 1977 Talking about the Blizzard of Oz ?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was looking at some old cuttings from the NME Sounds etc and i came across an interview from 3rd December 1977. Ozzy had been out of Sabbath for approximately two months at the time. As i read on... Ozzy mentions that he's going to make his own band,The Blizzard of Oz...'At the moment his future is by no means certain.He still wants to play rock,but hasn't yet found musicians to work with.If it doesn't work out for him then he'll start labouring jobs,as he doubts if he even has enough money saved to support him for a year.But his enthusiasm refuses to allow him to seriously consider that possibilty.He'll form the Blizzard,he says breezly,it's just that his process of selecting the right guy is rigorous."I don't want any ego-trippers,I don't want any suck arses,and i don't want any leeches.And i don't want any people to think they're going to walk into a band and except it to be there! '
I had read something about Ozzy's dad mentioning the Blizzard of Ozz and he'd said that would be a good name for a band..Plus i've seen old sabbath pics with Ozzy wearing a t-shirt with 'Blizzard of Ozz' printed on the front..So his dream was well planned before it even happened right down to the selection process..!!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:So his dream was well planned before it even happened right down to the selection process..!!
Yes, it was all planned long before.
And it's also all explained very detailed in the book The Story of the Ozzy Osbourne band. Great read! :)
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Yeah I agree, it is a great read. Nice work Shaun digging out that interview. I love reading old articles like that. I often go up in the loft to get summat for the wife and end up reading through some old copies of Kerrang or Sounds for the rest of the morning, with her shouting up "What the bloody Hell are you doing up there" LOL.
Anyway, for those who haven't read it basically Ozzy worked with a few musicians during his time away from Sabbath in 1977. Firstly with 3 musicians from Cumbrian band Necromandus, guitarist Barry Dunnery, bassist Dennis McCarten and drummer Frank Hall. They worked on a few songs over a month or so but eventually it didn't really work out. Ozzy then worked with the remaining members of a band called Dirty Tricks, guitarist John Binnie, bassist Terry Horbury and drummer Andy Bierne. They jammed together for a while, rumoured to be at Bill Wards house, and was even booked into a rehearsal studio for a month, but before they got into the studio Ozzy had a change of heart and rejoined Black Sabbath, so nothing came of the collaboration, although Terry Horbury does say he's still got tapes of the rehearsals that took place.
As all this was taking place Sabbath were working with Dave Walker on vocals, a full album was apparently written, but upon Ozzy's return to Sabbath that was all scrapped and a new album was written with Ozzy, Never Say Die, and the band embarked on their 10th Anniversary World Tour, shortly after that Ozzy was sacked, and then, well, we all know who came into Ozzy's life then, and I don't mean Sharon.
Last edited by Fozzy41 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Here's the book Flying Dutchman mentioned, excellent read.
Attachments
Ozzy.jpg
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

theres all kinds of mysterys surrounding things in the past, they just often get overlooked.

For instance in and interview not long after randy died. Ozzy and sharon both mentioned how they were releasing a LP in randys memory it would be called "speak of the devil"and would come with a picture book and guitar picks etc. Also it would be a limited edition release.

what happened there then :shock: :lol:
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Fozzy41 wrote:Yeah I agree, it is a great read. Nice work Shaun digging out that interview. I love reading old articles like that. I often go up in the loft to get summat for the wife and end up reading through some old copies of Kerrang or Sounds for the rest of the morning, with her shouting up "What the bloody Hell are you doing up there" LOL.
Anyway, for those who haven't read it basically Ozzy worked with a few musicians during his time away from Sabbath in 1977. Firstly with 3 musicians from Cumbrian band Necromandus, guitarist Barry Dunnery, bassist Dennis McCarten and drummer Frank Hall. They worked on a few songs over a month or so but eventually it didn't really work out. Ozzy then worked with the remaining members of a band called Dirty Tricks, guitarist John Binnie, bassist Terry Horbury and drummer Andy Bierne. They jammed together for a while, rumoured to be at Bill Wards house, and was even booked into a rehearsal studio for a month, but before they got into the studio Ozzy had a change of heart and rejoined Black Sabbath, so nothing came of the collaboration, although Terry Horbury does say he's still got tapes of the rehearsals that took place.
As all this was taking place Sabbath were working with Dave Walker on vocals, a full album was apparently written, but upon Ozzy's return to Sabbath that was all scrapped and a new album was written with Ozzy, Never Say Die, and the band embarked on their 10th Anniversary World Tour, shortly after that Ozzy was sacked, and then, well, we all know who came into Ozzy's life then, and I don't mean Sharon.
Im from cumbria Fozzy41!!! :P

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

baz dunnery sadly died of cancer in 2008 aged 56, his brother frank fronted it bites and later played for robert plant
crazy but thats how it goes