Question about Tommy Aldridge and Carmine Appice.

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Madman56
Cool Member

Post by Madman56 »

Trigger wrote:
Madman56 wrote:I thought Carmine stuck out like a sore thumb with Ozzy, not a good match at all. His solo during the Dortmund Festival is tough to watch for me, with his showboating and acting like a frontman.
I have a a copy of the 'So tired' single that was meant for release but was withdrawn. It has 'So Tired' as the a side and 'Journey to the centre of Eternity' with Carmine's drum solo as the B-side! :shock: It is the Dortmund TV version and is truely horrible, As I understand it Carmine was out of the band and for legal reasons this version was pulled before it could be released. Thinking about that nasty solo now as sit here I can still taste the vomit that it indused in me all those years ago! :lol:

I agree with GI Tommy's solo is the only drum solo worth a listen, ihate solo's they are so anal and as drummer they hold no interest for me.

Ya, it's tough to watch Carmine shouting out to the crowd, and trying to get them to chant along......cheesy. His style just didn't fit Ozzy. I love the solo Tommy did on the BATM tour when I saw him. I was actually siked to get a chance to see him again when I saw Whitesnake. Randy Castillo was a great drummer as well, a true wild man RIP.
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Madman56 wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Madman56 wrote:I thought Carmine stuck out like a sore thumb with Ozzy, not a good match at all. His solo during the Dortmund Festival is tough to watch for me, with his showboating and acting like a frontman.
I have a a copy of the 'So tired' single that was meant for release but was withdrawn. It has 'So Tired' as the a side and 'Journey to the centre of Eternity' with Carmine's drum solo as the B-side! :shock: It is the Dortmund TV version and is truely horrible, As I understand it Carmine was out of the band and for legal reasons this version was pulled before it could be released. Thinking about that nasty solo now as sit here I can still taste the vomit that it indused in me all those years ago! :lol:

I agree with GI Tommy's solo is the only drum solo worth a listen, ihate solo's they are so anal and as drummer they hold no interest for me.

Ya, it's tough to watch Carmine shouting out to the crowd, and trying to get them to chant along......cheesy. His style just didn't fit Ozzy. I love the solo Tommy did on the BATM tour when I saw him. I was actually siked to get a chance to see him again when I saw Whitesnake. Randy Castillo was a great drummer as well, a true wild man RIP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AugR11DKE8

This video yeah I can see were you're coming from. It makes him look like he is the main act of the the set.And what instrument does he use at 6:36 right before the gong?

Also I liked Tommy's solos better.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I know Ian disagrees me with on this one, but I also liked Randys drum solo to Tommys. I found Randy tried to make it a bit sort of entertaining, without getting the croud to shout at him :roll:. As for Carmine, yeah, that whole sort of act thing, isn't clever at all, just doesnt work for me. I think Tommy most certainly fitted the bill the best and then Randy Castillo, in my opinion :).

On a side note, Jake was on fire in that solo :P
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I also really like Lee Kerslake's cannon fire on those 1980 boots.
I think Bob was right, the first Blizzard line-up with Lee was magic!

Later on I prefer to hear Tommy over Randy, for instance Mr. Crowley it was (imo) drummed too bussy(or too explicit) by Randy somehow. Tommy was bussy as well but to me it mixed very well with the songs not disturbing anything.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Later on I prefer to hear Tommy over Randy, for instance Mr. Crowley it was (imo) drummed too bussy(or too explicit) by Randy somehow. Tommy was bussy as well but to me it mixed very well with the songs not disturbing anything.
I agree
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
fortress
Madman

Re: Question about Tommy Aldridge and Carmine Appice.

Post by fortress »

funny!

I was searching info about Tommy leaving Ozzy today

I found that old topic

So?? The reason would be that Tommy wasnt good in the studio?? my ASS!! He had alot of album behind him, i just find that reason ridiculous!! I suppose its the same reason again... Money????
supercrew63

Post by supercrew63 »

i've met tommy in person,he is a very nice guy,i lowered his car at my shop,he is 10 times the drummer of appice.Funny story my guys at the shop saw all the yamaha stickers on the window of his car and ask"so are you a musician or what?"And he simply replied,"kinda"..after tommy left i showed them who tommy was,and the light bulbs seemed to flash...lol
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

Just caught this old thread, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who despised Carmine's playing with Ozzy. His overplaying absolutely destroys any sense of "pocket" and makes so many of the songs feel rushed. There's just no groove. A big one for me is the way he absolutely RUINED the chorus sections of "I Don't Know." Horrible, IMO...

I was just watching the Salt Lake City show at the Salt Palace in March of '84 and the band is SO much tighter and so much more on fire with Tommy than they were with Carmine just 4 months earlier. Their whole performance is so much better it's unbelievable! I can totally see why Carmine got sacked. For comparison's sake, watch "I Don't Know" from Dortmund, Germany in December '83 and compare it to the version with Tommy at Salt Lake City in March of '84. It's quite an eye-opener!