Black Rain

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RockyRhoads wrote:I probably won't bother with this album, but I do find it interesting that one post says it has too many '80's style guitar solos and another says there is hardly any guitar on the album. Quite a difference, unless the guitar that is on the album is only playing '80's guitar solos :D
:) no there are guitar solos but on some of the songs the guitar just fades into the background in places as though its just providing backing with some chords. overal i think the production places a bit of an emphasis on Ozzys vocals - its like the rest of the band is just there as backup and are forced to work around the vocal harmonies
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Skully wrote:I'm curious now as to how Bob sounds without Ozzy and the band...
I've heard somethings he did with Uriah Heap (I think that's what they're called) and I wasn't really blown away at all and the stuff he did with Sabbath didn't really do it for me either. Aside from Ozzy, Sabbath, and that band, who else has he played with? I don't remember hearing about him since Ozzy gave him the boot in favor of Geezer during Ozzmosis.
bobs worked with a lot of different groups
Chickenshack a blues band (his first band i think)
Widowmaker (they had more success and put out a couple of albums)
Rainbow ( he got the boot the same time as Ronnie Dio, the two were gonna form a band but then Dio ran off with sabbath!)
Gary Moore ( hes put out 4 albums playing for gary)
Yngwie Malmsteen ( he played on Odyssey which i think is Yngwies most succesfull album.

He's worked with a lot of other groups and i think he joined Uriah Heep with Kerslake after Blizzard of Ozz.

As for his work with Ozzy he wrote songs on Bark and I think No rest for the wicked (im 90% certain he co-wrote and played on Hero) i also think he was involved in No More Tears at some point... but i dont remember for sure.
not really sure if hes been working recently
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

rice_pudding wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote:I probably won't bother with this album, but I do find it interesting that one post says it has too many '80's style guitar solos and another says there is hardly any guitar on the album. Quite a difference, unless the guitar that is on the album is only playing '80's guitar solos :D
:) no there are guitar solos but on some of the songs the guitar just fades into the background in places as though its just providing backing with some chords. overal i think the production places a bit of an emphasis on Ozzys vocals - its like the rest of the band is just there as backup and are forced to work around the vocal harmonies
The solo in "Silver" is extremely similar to Over The Mountain.....There's another solo riff in another song(name slips me)that reminds me of something else off Diary too....
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think the guitar solos on the album are fine. I think an overdoing of guitar solos is a bad idea. I mean, it's not like Black Rain was St. Anger with zero guitar solos. :shock:
And I personally don't really see the link between the 11 Silver solo and Over the Mountain. 11 Silver hasn't got any sweeping in it and I think it's in a different key and different mode. But they're both great solos, if that's what you're talking about. :P

As for Bob, I think he played and wrote for No Rest for the Wicked, but he didn't write for No More Tears. I think he only played on that one.
I'll have to dig up those bands that he played with. I've not heard of most of them.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I don't have it yet, I ordered the extended version with more songs and it hasn't arrived yet.
I hope I like it though :? like Skully I loved the'Down to Earth' album so when I give my oppinion don't bother eading it! :lol:

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Trigger wrote:I don't have it yet, I ordered the extended version with more songs and it hasn't arrived yet.
I hope I like it though :? like Skully I loved the'Down to Earth' album so when I give my oppinion don't bother eading it! :lol:

Ian
theres an extended version :shock: didn't know that i would have bought that instead...
it kind of anoys me when artists/record companies release multiple versions of the same album. if there was a gap of time between releases maybe, but when they come out at the same time... whats the point :?
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

rice_pudding wrote:
Trigger wrote:I don't have it yet, I ordered the extended version with more songs and it hasn't arrived yet.

Ian
theres an extended version :shock: didn't know that i would have bought that instead...
it kind of anoys me when artists/record companies release multiple versions of the same album. if there was a gap of time between releases maybe, but when they come out at the same time... whats the point :?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

DayNah wrote:
rice_pudding wrote:

Ian

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:lol:
id like to think people would only buy one copy of the same album but your probably right the record companies must know otherise $$$indeed
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

You should see how bob daisley spells sharon osbourne lol

he spells it like this

$haron Osbourne :P

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
RushIsABand

Post by RushIsABand »

I think it's a solid album IMO. It ranks somewhere along the middle of Ozzy's albums, but it's great compared to most music coming out these days.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RushIsABand wrote:I think it's a solid album IMO. It ranks somewhere along the middle of Ozzy's albums, but it's great compared to most music coming out these days.
thats probably the best description for the album ive heard anyone offer yet, 8) i think ill go with that although i dont really try to rank ozzys albums its too hard once you get past blizzard and diary IMO, all his stuff has good points
Madman56
Cool Member

Post by Madman56 »

I think the album's very good, the best ozzy has put out in a while. My big gripe with it is that it's too short!!! After all this time between albums, give me at least 60 min's!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, I did check it out and I think I Don't Wanna Stop is a great song. I'd like it remixed withthe guitars up a bit, but I like it.

It sounds like Blasko's presence was very influential. THis sounds like a Rob Zombie record with Ozzy on vocals.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Looks like Black Rain is selling a lot more slowly than Down To Earth. Down To Earth was Gold a month after release. It's two months past the release date for this album and only a little more than 300,000 sold. Hopefullly it won't take 2 years to go platinum like DTE though.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.