No....

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rocky_rhoads

No....

Post by rocky_rhoads »

Im sorry but I really do not like Zakk Wylde's playing......he doesn't have as much skill as Randy and he kind of in a way ruined ozzy anyone else agree?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

he doesn't have as much skill, yet he got the gig
playing Randy songs at age 19 :!: that's not skill ?

how did he ruin Ozzy btw ?
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

He doesn't say that he don't have skills, just that he ain't got at much skills as Randy had :wink: Oh, and I can't really see what way he ruined Ozzy? Ozzy pretty much ruined himself IMO.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

He doesn't have as much skill as Randy? Who does? Not many guitarists have the natural ability as what Randy had and in a way no matter what Ozzy did after Randy Rhodes died, every thing was always gonna be compared to that magical time, which I think is a little unfair really. Would Randy have still been with Ozzy making classic albums? I doubt it. Would Randy have still been making music at all? We'll never know. But what I do know is Ozzy went on to make some great records with Jake and Zakk, and hopefully will continue to do so. Personally I think Zakk is a fantastic guitarist, who is technically brilliant and who lives and breathes his guitars. In my opinion there is no one currently out there who could match him for all round ability.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I agree with you, he is my least favourate Ozzy guitarist, but still, I think Ozzy has a lot to do with the direction he is going in these days.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I think Zakk is an excellent guitarplayer!
And if you consider it all he suits Ozzy probably even better than Randy Rhodes. (I'm talking about the whole package like personality etc. )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Zakk took Ozzy in a different direction. He is a pentatonic player which he did intentionally to NOT sound like Randy Rhoads.

Jake took Ozzy in a different direction as well - the land of pop and big hair! (Just kidding)

Randy took Ozzy in a new direction from the Sabbath sound as well...

To say Zakk doesn't have the skill of Randy is an uneducated comment. Listen to Farm Fiddlin and you'll know that Zakk isn't all BLS. He has LOADS of skill, he just doesn't have the same feel that Randy had. As far as ruining Ozzy... I think he saved Ozzy from the Jake era!

My disappointment with the Jake era is about the keyboards, by the way, not Jake's playing.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

RockyRhoads wrote:Zakk took Ozzy in a different direction. He is a pentatonic player which he did intentionally to NOT sound like Randy Rhoads.

Jake took Ozzy in a different direction as well - the land of pop and big hair! (Just kidding)

Randy took Ozzy in a new direction from the Sabbath sound as well...

To say Zakk doesn't have the skill of Randy is an uneducated comment. Listen to Farm Fiddlin and you'll know that Zakk isn't all BLS. He has LOADS of skill, he just doesn't have the same feel that Randy had. As far as ruining Ozzy... I think he saved Ozzy from the Jake era!

My disappointment with the Jake era is about the keyboards, by the way, not Jake's playing.
Wow, we all have seriously different opinions! I love the sound of Jake era Ozzy! Especially The Ultimate Sin album. I did give Zakk a chance, even bought Book of Shadows to see what he was like on that. I just never really got used to and enjoyed his playing.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

When considering all that has been said about Randy, Jake, and Zakk it is clear that all three guitarists have created 3 different chapters in Ozzy's career. This is something we as Ozzy fans (if we all are) should celebrate they have all given something that bit different my regret is that Joe Holmes and Brad Gillis never got a chance to give us 2 more chapters :(

Myself I have enjoyed Zakk but he isn't my favorite I love Randy but then it's Brad & Jake in equal second place with Zakk third. The gift that Brad gave us was an incredible take on Sabbath songs and for me the 'Speak' album was my first proper introduction to Sabbath. I bought Sabbath's 'Live evil' album at the same time and was disappointed with it when I compared it with 'Speak of the Devil'. Having had the chance of seeing Ozzy with 'Sabbath' many times including the 2 reunion gigs in 1997 when they recorded the 'Reunion' album I have come to the conclusion that Sabbath songs sound best when played by the original band! But ‘Speak of the Devil’ stands the test of time for one very good reason the band only had a few days to rehearse those songs before recording them, what Brad, Tommy and Rudy did was show us how great they were and how good and timeless those songs were (and still are).
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Trigger wrote:When considering all that has been said about Randy, Jake, and Zakk it is clear that all three guitarists have created 3 different chapters in Ozzy's career. This is something we as Ozzy fans (if we all are) should celebrate they have all given something that bit different my regret is that Joe Holmes and Brad Gillis never got a chance to give us 2 more chapters :(

Myself I have enjoyed Zakk but he isn't my favorite I love Randy but then it's Brad & Jake in equal second place with Zakk third. The gift that Brad gave us was an incredible take on Sabbath songs and for me the 'Speak' album was my first proper introduction to Sabbath. I bought Sabbath's 'Live evil' album at the same time and was disappointed with it when I compared it with 'Speak of the Devil'. Having had the chance of seeing Ozzy with 'Sabbath' many times including the 2 reunion gigs in 1997 when they recorded the 'Reunion' album I have come to the conclusion that Sabbath songs sound best when played by the original band! But ‘Speak of the Devil’ stands the test of time for one very good reason the band only had a few days to rehearse those songs before recording them, what Brad, Tommy and Rudy did was show us how great they were and how good and timeless those songs were (and still are).
I agree.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Opinions Vary

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

There is no real fair way to compare guitarists unless they are clones. Each of Ozzy's guitar players brought their own style and thus should be viewed differently. Ozzy is the ruler of his own destiny. He is successful and has made his own mark (including on the Alamo). No guitarist has ruined him...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Fozzy41
Madman

Re: Opinions Vary

Post by Fozzy41 »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:There is no real fair way to compare guitarists unless they are clones. Each of Ozzy's guitar players brought their own style and thus should be viewed differently. Ozzy is the ruler of his own destiny. He is successful and has made his own mark (including on the Alamo). No guitarist has ruined him...
I totally agree, no guitarist has ruined him and no guitarist has made him. I believe Ozzy has remained successful for well over 30 years because he is a one-off, an original. Over the years many critics have slagged off Ozzy for many reasons, often saying if it wasn't for this guitarist or that guitarist he wouldn't be anything, yet muscicians come and go and Ozzy still remains as successful as ever, regardless of who's in his band.
Rhoads10

Zakk wylde guitar hero

Post by Rhoads10 »

zakk wylde does not suck

this guy took what randy starded and kept it going he is a really big fan of randy and is keeping his memory alive
Last edited by Rhoads10 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hickman

From Obsecurity to Eternity
1956-1982
Ell
Mass Poster

Re: Zakk wylde guitar hero

Post by Ell »

Rhoads10 wrote:zakk wylde does not suck

this guy took what randy starded and kept it going he is a really big fan of randy and is keeping his memory alive
Heard his more recent stuff? He's dressed up as this insane Biker and then pours out ballad after ballad. And i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but can you really imagine the local Biker pub putting in his new album (yeah, I listened to it, had to give it a chance) and enjoying it all the way through. I recon he's got his audience wrong. And then you've got the whole endorsement side of things, is any piece of his gear not endorsed?! He even has signature amps WHICH HE DOESN'T USE. In his playing he does way too much wah when it's not needed (but that can work) and too many pinch harmonics. In answer to your first statement there, it's an opinion, not a fact, and so is this.
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

IMO he didnt ruin Ozzy. he is the reason why "you cant kill Rock n Roll" and Zakks still here to stay.