Zakk Interview With Poparazzi

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Zakk Interview With Poparazzi

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Blabbermouth.net reports that Christopher Toh of TodayOnline.com's Poparazzi has posted the second part of his interview with Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE), conducted before and after the guitarist's solo performance and question-and-answer session on Tuesday (December 1) at Singapore's Changi Prison Complex. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Poparazzi: Can you please share with us what made you the man you are today — one of the greatest guitar masters?

Zakk: "As far as music goes, playing with Ozzy. I started with him when I was 19, I'm 42 now. And obviously the music — it's like sex, nobody doesn't like music. I started when I was about 8, I just wanted to do normal things that kids do, and I be practicing on the guitar. But I lasted about one summer, then I quit playing music. But when I was 14, I started to pick it up again. And I saw this guy, he had long hair, was drinking beer and playing guitar. And I thought, I want to be like him. I was playing in crappy bars in New Jersey and this guy saw me and said, 'Hey did you ever think about playing for Ozzy?' He knew this guy called Mark Weiss, and he gave a tape of me to Ozzy's wife Sharon. They flew me out to Los Angeles for an audition, I ended up crapping in my pants. But got the gig. Ozzy said, 'Zakk, do me favor, play with your heart, but change your underwear — and don't crap in your pants.' That's how I got into it. It's still the same thing now. So, drinking beer and playing guitar, that's how I became the man I am today."

Poparazzi: Just now you played 'Eruption'. What other artists do you have as influences?

Zakk: "Obviously Eddie Van Halen, you got to give it up for Eddie. Randy Rhoads was huge on me, still is. Obviously Jimi Hendrix. Frank Marino, Robin Trower, all the guys from LYNYRD SKYNYRD, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page… as I got more technical on guitar, I listened to Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia, a flamenco guitar who's just insane. I learned something from somebody, except from Mark."

Poparazzi: You have taken me to dreamland, and I wish to play guitar like you. Can you tell me how to do it?

Zakk: "Lots of beer! Just kidding! It's the same thing: A lot of practice. Always get started. Somebody better than you — you can learn from them, the basics anyway. Then it's just a matter of practicing over and over again. Just like bangin' the old lady — over and over again. That's what it's all about: It's just practice. The main thing is: Find somebody you know who can really play."
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...