Zakk n Ozzy no more..........

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

Zakk n Ozzy no more..........

Post by ptate »

I know there has been a bit of rumour about this, but a mate of mine was speaking to Paul Marshall (of amps fame) the other day and he said Zakk isn't going back to Ozzy's band.........!!!

As all the rumours have said, it would appear Gus G is his replacement...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Personally I think Zakk needs to move forward on his own and leave Ozzy in the past. He's got a good thing going with BLS.

Then again, I think Ozzy should call it quits, so what do I know?
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

I agree with what Paul just said , I believe OZZY's best days were a long time ago .. moreso onstage than in the studio though , I'm starting to see him becoming a parody of himself .. to see him shuffling around the stage looking unsure of what the hell is going on .. well i just guess i would'nt pay to see a show of that .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Got to agree.....I just thought it was me that saw a "muppet" caricature jumping around on stage.

IMHO, the most damage has come from the media frenzy that surrounded his family.

Amazing catalogue of work, but the missus and kids have made him look like a tit...... (and I hate the fact that he's suing Sabbath now..!!).
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ptate wrote:(and I hate the fact that he's suing Sabbath now..!!).
Ozzy Osbourne wrote:
“It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990’s, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name “Black Sabbath” which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it’s had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We’ve all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We’re all in our 60’s now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing.”
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Paul.

Read the piece a while ago.

So.........What does he want? Money, rights.....Doesn't exactly say, does it?

It certainly seems like a money-making venture to me..."Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives [Sharon????] who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand ". Funny how it wasn't personally Ozzy overseeing the "brand"; but it's him who's filing the suit.....Being pushed eh? Even Zakk has mentioned, when Sharon [the "boss"] says anything, he jumps.....

We all know he felt intimidated by Iommi when he was in Sabbath, so why not have a go at him now to make a point.

As stated "I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill", so it is a legal fight between him and Iommi straight........ :?
Last edited by ptate on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i don't know if Gus will be a permanent replacement though.
He seems pretty set on getting back with Firewind since
they have a new album and probably a tour coming up next year.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Yeh, I thought that too. It would seem like a publicity venture for the lad, as I'm sure he wouldn't want to be "tagged" with being Ozzy's guitarist at this late stage.

Good luck to him though, he can't half shred.......
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ptate wrote:So.........What does he want? Money, rights.....Doesn't exactly say, does it?
To me it says that Ozzy feels that all four members should own the rights to the name 'Black Sabbath' and not just one person.

Kind of like KISS... you can put Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer in the makeup, but Peter Criss and Ace Frehley did the work to make KISS what they were/are. But Gene and Paul get the money...
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

The issue is centred around the fact the Ozzy sought legal representation, to resolve the matter, which in general terms suggests that there is an underlying unwillingness for certain members to agree; whether it be Iommi or Ozzy.

As such, if they agree to "settle" their differences, I make the assumption that each will pay their own legal costs;if not and they go to court, the loser will have to "stump" up everything. Ethically, it is not really the way to make friends or influence people.... :(

In addition, what does the "trademark" right to use the name mean? Is Ozzy saying he will split the profit from selling Sabbath paraphernalia with the other three? Does he expect the same? If that is the case, won't they have to agree any product prior to marketing?....Why not just close the whole Sabbath sales circus down completely?

Rant, rant, rant, rant.......Sorry....... :D

I suppose they could form a band called Heaven and Hell then pursue that for cash........(hhmmmmmm?)........ :D
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ptate wrote:I suppose they could form a band called Heaven and Hell then pursue that for cash........(hhmmmmmm?)........ :D
Kind of funny how that happened, huh?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Personally I think Zakk needs to move forward on his own and leave Ozzy in the past. He's got a good thing going with BLS.

Then again, I think Ozzy should call it quits, so what do I know?
I think they should both quit, honestly. I've had it with them playing the same 12 songs together. If Gus could persuade Ozzy (don't know how he could do this, but whatever) to get Ozzy to play songs that were the usual bull shit, I'd go see Ozzy again. As for now though, I'll save my money.

BLS has gone down hill since Blessed Hellride. Start up Pride and Glory again.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

NicDots wrote: Start up Pride and Glory again.
+1 totally !!
................................................................Image...............................................................................
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I would like to see Zack do something that shows some different aspects of his playing, he's classically trained if I remember right, he also has a jazzy side to ( from what I saw when he was interviewed on Fuse one time) and he is an excellent blues player when he chooses to show it. A Pride and Glory record would be good, especially if he would really "stretch" like Jake did with Badlands (my Lord what an awesome band!) He (Zack) is way to good of a player to just go away and maybe being away from Ozzy will be what he needs to do something different. As far as Ozzy, well that's a little different, I'm not sure Ozzy's heart is still in it enough to make another truly great album, and it really pains me to say that because his music (at least some of it) has had a great influence on me (musically). It seems to me, that Ozzy just doesn't have that hunger that he had up through No More Tears, but who am I to judge, Ozzy can go play anywhere he wants to, I'm just a guitar player from Mississippi who makes his living working in the lab (medical), LOL!!!!!!!
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Black Sabbath set me up for a life full of heavy metal (at the time). One of my first recordings was an EP with Ronnie James Dio and I then got straight into the Ozzy era, with SBS and a "best of" album. I then bought a few more (all Ozzy).

He went on to develop RR and Jake, then Zakk, but seemed to lose the plot around the 80's and became a bit of a pisshead/party idiot.... chasing the Hollywood crowd and trying to become something he ain't.... :(

Saw him at the Monsters of Rock and a few other shows at the height of his infamy and he was great on stage; so it kind of pisses me off that he has become a parody, propped up by lawyers and media hungry family members (who really would have been nothing without Ozzy!!).

Zakk should move into the stuff he's good at and get that guitar crying, make the most of the split and play like he's a teenager again......!!!