I wish Ozzy would get a new guitarist

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How old are you? Twelve?

Seriously, show us that you have some sort of history with this kind of music and some of us might cut you some slack.

What was your first concert? How many Ozzy shows have you been to? How long have you been playing guitar? Can you even do a pinch harmonic?

You come here with your punk attitude and piss me off to the point where I defend Zakk? Please grow up or move on.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Just a few more posts then you'll qualify for the bootleg downloads Mr Mylde then please go forth and multiply :lol:
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Hey GI, I think they disabled that "quota", but I could be wrong.

Anyway, while I'm not a big fan of Zakk, I do have to say that he does the job well. I still don't like the squealing, but the rest is good. He plays a helluva lot better than I could, since I haven't played the guitar in 30 years.

If you can find a better player, by all means, go get him and present him to Ozzy. I'm sure that he'd like to hear your opinion. Better yet, SHOW us your talent and let us determine who is better, you or Zakk.

And I'm just lovin' your screen name. Not a fan??? :roll:
Get with the times. This is 2007. Move along, move along.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote:I really feel strongly that Zakk ruins Ozzy's songs live...them damn pinch harmonics.
you know, it was Ozzy HIMSELF that told Zakk to keep doing
the pinch harmonics 'cause he thought it would be a trademark
for Zakk ... and whaddya know ... the old man was right :P
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The more I learn about country guitar and "chicken pickin" the more i understand where the pinch harmonics came from Zakk tried something original - applying country guitar techniques to metal through a blazing Marshall and ended up with a trademark.

He definitely relies on it too much ala EVH and the tapping, but it wouldn't sound like Zakk without some pinch harmonics.

As for Zakk messing up Randy's songs and Jake's songs, if you want to hear that stuff note for note, put on a CD and turn it up.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:As for Zakk messing up Randy's songs and Jake's songs, if you want to hear that stuff note for note, put on a CD and turn it up.
+ 1

not even Jake and Randy played their own songs
note for note :shock: :D
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

Love him or hate him you gotta admit he provided Ozzy with something he wasn't accustomed to, STABILITY!! After losing his band {sabbath} his new guitarist {and best friend} not to mention his first wife. I think it's amazing that they are still together and making good music together some 20 yrs. later, given Ozzy's track record. So even if you think "Black Rain" is not a good album, without Zakk Ozzy probably wouldn't have done another album. 20 yrs. from now you younger guys will appreciate anything Ozzy put out such as "black rain". Because even if he is still alive he most definatly won't be making albums! So enjoy them while we still can. I don't think at this point in Ozzys life that he really wants to start over with someone new again. At least Zakk respects and pays tribute to Randy alot! He could be an ass and act like he never existed!!
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: I wish Ozzy would get a new guitarist

Post by rice_pudding »

zmack mylde wrote: I meant to say he has no identity. He is a NEW JERSEY guy pretending that he is a Southern Biker...who does he think he is fooling? When he first came out he looked like Bon Jovi now he wants you to believe he is a Southern Biker...Please he aint fooling nobody....it's his fakeness that rubs people the wrong way. I hate how he tries to talk all tough, what a dumbass. And he better stop playing Randy's polka dot guitar...he aint in Randy's league to even own that thing.
I think its unfair to call Zakk fake. Everybody adopts images and styles based on who they want to be and who they feel they are. Think about goths, your not born a goth, you adopt that style of dress and outlook on life based on how you feel, you cant tell someone they're not allowed to be a goth. its the same with punks, rockers and bikers...

as for the polka dot v. what about all the other people who own a polka dot v. cause there are quite a lot and i wouldnt mind betting half of them can barely play the thing, but they dont get drawn up over it. And lots of them dont even buy sandoval models (how fake is that?) :lol: we need to take a good look at ourselves before we condem zakky...
Stiltzkin wrote: not even Jake and Randy played their own songs
note for note
+ 1
everybody makes mistakes
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Re: I wish Ozzy would get a new guitarist

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I can honestly say that his biker look never gave me any impression he was trying to be "southern".

Back in the day he wore the hat and jeans and had that "shitkicker" thing going, but I still didn't think of him as "southern". I just thought of him as a rocker.

I think the progression from then to now has as much to do with the passage of time as anything. At one age you have certain interests and as time goes by you develop new interests. I don't know that I'd say Zakk "grew up" and changed his tastes, but I'd say he has evolved over the years.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't think it's a "southern image" he's trying to project (or was, years ago). I think it's just a "redneck" thing. And believe me, rednecks are found everywhere in the US.
And am I the only person that DOESN'T care about how Zakk looks? It should be about music first and foremost. Zakk could look like Freddie Mercury so long as he put out good jams.
Saying that, I don't like anything he really puts out these days (aside from most of the riffs he put on the new Ozzy album).
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Skully wrote:I don't think it's a "southern image" he's trying to project (or was, years ago). I think it's just a "redneck" thing. And believe me, rednecks are found everywhere in the US.
And am I the only person that DOESN'T care about how Zakk looks? It should be about music first and foremost. Zakk could look like Freddie Mercury so long as he put out good jams.
Saying that, I don't like anything he really puts out these days (aside from most of the riffs he put on the new Ozzy album).

His looks are secondary wether he can play or not is the issue. He can't phrase to save his life.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

You've established that you don't like Zakk a few times already. Bring something new to the table.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

zmack mylde wrote:
His looks are secondary wether he can play or not is the issue. He can't phrase to save his life.
But, THOUSANDSof people know who he is. Can you say the same for you?? :?
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Sarab wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:
But, THOUSANDSof people know who he is. Can you say the same for you?? :?
Well thats a good point but!........we were lucky enough to see Ozzy in those glory years Gina, I thank Zakk for being able to keep the Ozzy band going for another 20, years giving even more people the chance to see some great music live.

I don't mean to rub anyones nose in it but those shows from back in the early to mid 80's were amazing 8) sadly they were the last time that the band was really great.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.