Zakk's most memorable solos

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Zakk's most memorable solos

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So I was listening to Black Rain really loud in the mini-van and, while I like the songs, I just don't like the soloing. So I have a question for you Zakk fans...

What solos by Zakk are the most memorable? I mean solos within songs, not "spotlight" solos... What I'm thinking of is that almost all of Randy's solos are singable. Other solos, like Joe Perry's solos in Walk This Way or David Gilmour's Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 or any of the solos on the first Boston album.

What solos by Zakk are so memorable that you can sing along?
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Zakk Rules The Pit

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I also looked into Black Rain and found that there is one lick that occurs quite a bit (almost in every song). Here is the best example I can give of it...

e----------------------------------------|
B----------------------------------------|
G----------------------------------------|
D----------------------------------------|
A--------5---6---5----------------------|
E-----------------------8----5-----------|

I call it the definitive "Ozzy Sound". Zakk's solos are more for flash now than telling a story. He used less Wah back then compared to what he does nowadays. It disguises/covers his licks too much; mushes them up too much I think. His best solo? Hmmmm. Demon Alcohol is pretty cool. I'm sure there are others but I need to listen to the albums again to get a better perspective on it.
Last edited by RR-ElectricAngel on Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i agree about black rain what the hell happened with the solos :evil: theres a couple of good ones but most just sound like someone playing random scales at speed.
on to your question;

IMO zakk doesnt play a bad solo on No More Tears there all great but highlights for me include his solos on, Desire, No More Tears and Mama Im Coming Home.

On No Rest; Fire In the Sky, Crazy Babies and Hero

I also like his solo on Junkie more flash but very cool.

Dont know that i could sing any of them though there all too fast :lol: but i can play them back in my head of such :)
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I really liked the solo on Silver! That solo is pretty kicking I have to say. :cool:
As for other Zakk solos, I really like his one in SIN. And I also like his I Don't Wanna Change the World solo. Got a nice country feeling to it.
I also dig Crazy Babies and Perry Mason!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Skully wrote:I really liked the solo on Silver! That solo is pretty kicking I have to say. :cool:
As for other Zakk solos, I really like his one in SIN. And I also like his I Don't Wanna Change the World solo. Got a nice country feeling to it.
I also dig Crazy Babies and Perry Mason!

Now I'm going to have to dig out those recordings and take a listen... Even though I claim to not be a big Zakk fan, I do have a lot of his stuff that I've downloaded... now if I can just find my headphones...
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meh wrote:Zakk's solos in BLS has always pretty much been "in your face" sort of solos, which I like, but I can see why some people don't.

One solo that I am particularly fond of is the outro to his I Never Dreamed cover (bonus track on Mafia). On second thought, it's not really a cover, but more of an interpretation. I realise the outro is just him playing pentatonics over a chord progression, but he makes the guitar scream in a way that really gets to me.

You can hear it here, Paul.

edit: Link fixed.
I like that solo...
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
yohendrix

Post by yohendrix »

well, comin from a big Zakk fan! i think his best solos are 'No More Tears', 'Mama Im Comin Home', 'Fire It Up', 'Crazy Babies', 'Miracle Man', 'Losin your Mind' and 'Toen The Line'!! and i agree sometimes Zakk can be absolutly amazing (e.g. No Rest for The Wicked, No More Tears, Pride and Glory and Mafia) but then some of the stuff is really below average for Mr. Zakk Wylde (e.g. most BLS stuff apart from the Mafia album and Most Ozzy after the No More Tears album is below average!) if you ask me Zakk hasnt got his soul that he used to have in the Pride & Glory days! he still amazing but not as good as he used to be! anyways clearly 'No More Tears' is his best solo!!
Attachments
i miss this Zakk!! but he still like the best guitarist around today!!
i miss this Zakk!! but he still like the best guitarist around today!!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I think it must be tough for anyone to have to invent so many solo's year after year. With Randy he was only with us for a short time, I imagine had we got an extra 6 albums we might be saying similar things about Randy playing some not too great solos from time to time.
The interesting thing about Randy was that he re-used solo's and riffs from QR when he was writing with Ozzy.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Trigger wrote:With Randy he was only with us for a short time, I imagine had we got an extra 6 albums we might be saying similar things about Randy playing some not too great solos from time to time.
BLASPHEMY!!!

Why don't you just say EVH had some talent or something? To insinuate Randy might have ever been less than perfect? Geez.... :D
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Re: Zakk's most memorable solos

Post by zmack mylde »

Paul Wolfe wrote:So I was listening to Black Rain really loud in the mini-van and, while I like the songs, I just don't like the soloing. So I have a question for you Zakk fans...

What solos by Zakk are the most memorable? I mean solos within songs, not "spotlight" solos... What I'm thinking of is that almost all of Randy's solos are singable. Other solos, like Joe Perry's solos in Walk This Way or David Gilmour's Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 or any of the solos on the first Boston album.

What solos by Zakk are so memorable that you can sing along?

Cant really say that any of his solos are memorable. He does the same thing. Starts out a little melodic then kicks into hyper speed pentatonics with too much wah and chorus, playing pentatonic patterns over and over rather than phrases. The most over rated player of our times. He got to his status by standing on the shoulders of Randy Rhoads and Jake E. Lee, who had a whole catalog of songs ready for him to play. Would Zakk have made it this big if he never joined Ozzy and tried to get signed with his own songs and band? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

zmack mylde, either say something worthwhile or shut the hell up. If you don't think any of Zakk's solos are worthwhile, then don't post in a thread asking about his memorable solos.

As for Jake, he played with Ozzy, then he did the Badlands thing for a while and then he dropped off the map.

You don't come across real well when all you do is slam Zakk and praise Jake.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Paul Wolfe wrote:zmack mylde, either say something worthwhile or shut the hell up. If you don't think any of Zakk's solos are worthwhile, then don't post in a thread asking about his memorable solos.

As for Jake, he played with Ozzy, then he did the Badlands thing for a while and then he dropped off the map.

You don't come across real well when all you do is slam Zakk and praise Jake.

Jake is simply a better player than Zakk simple as that. Randy was better than all of them. After Ozzy retires watch Black Label Society fall off the map as well. The only reason why Zakk gets attention is because he is with Ozzy. Those years that he quit Ozzy he fell off the map as well. Zakk blows and so does BLS.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think you should just add "I think Zakk 'Mylde' sucks" to your sig and just get it over with since that's pretty much what all your posts are about essentially.