The Official Zakk Wylde Thread

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

SixPounder
Cool Member

The Official Zakk Wylde Thread

Post by SixPounder »

Until he gets his own section I decided to make a thread for him..Any Zakk/BLS discussion goes here..

So whats your favorite BLS album?

Mine is a tie between Stronger Than Death and Mafia

SDMF
Bleed Black Label!
RhoadsOliva

Post by RhoadsOliva »

im backing you up
here take this Zakk wylde and Ozzy Osbourne FULL SHOW
6-4-89 philidelphia, PN Ozzy osbourne

http://www.sendspace.com/file/db08ci
R.I.P Criss Oliva And Randy Rhoads.
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Thanks John!
RhoadsOliva

Post by RhoadsOliva »

Anytime. Zakk holds high in my book!! This boot is great quality. We're gonna prove that Zakk means just as much to us as Brad and Jake do!
R.I.P Criss Oliva And Randy Rhoads.
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Hell yes!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What is it about Zakk that you like?

My opinion of him will upset some, but it is just an opinion...

I think he is an above average, but not great. Technically he can blow away most guys, but just being able to play fast isn't enough. I prefer slower players who have more feeling. Zakk truly is brutal, but to an overbearing degree.

I was watching a UFO documentary earlier this evening and Phil Collen of Def Leppard summed it up when he said that a lot of guys today are very fast and very technically adept, but a guy like Michael Schenker can bend a note and hold it and just fit perfectly into the groove.

I don't get that feeling from Zakk's playing... I look forward to hearing him in 10 years, he's still young and as he get's older he may lose the brutal edge and reach greatness.

So, why do you think he's great? I really would like to hear your point of view.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:I look forward to hearing him in 10 years, he's still young and as he get's older he may lose the brutal edge and reach greatness.
I think that in 10 years, Zakk still is brutal. :twisted:
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

ive never been a big fan of Zakk. He is boring, his solos always sound the same to me. Hes fast an all, but he leaves me cold. I much prefer, Jake, Randy etc.
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:ive never been a big fan of Zakk. He is boring, his solos always sound the same to me. Hes fast an all, but he leaves me cold. I much prefer, Jake, Randy etc.
Have you heard much BLS?...I'm not a huge fan of his Ozzy stuff either.

Plus, I think he has some decents vocals..Better than what you'd expect by just looking at him or seeing him rip for that matter
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SixPounder wrote:
Jake_E_Lee wrote:ive never been a big fan of Zakk. He is boring, his solos always sound the same to me. Hes fast an all, but he leaves me cold. I much prefer, Jake, Randy etc.

Plus, I think he has some decents vocals..Better than what you'd expect by just looking at him or seeing him rip for that matter

The vocals are the reason I really dislike BLS. I grew up living near Geoff Tate of Queensryche, so all the local bands around here had excellent vocalist. As a result, I just have no time for that BLS, Pantera, Limp Bizkit shouting vocal style. If you can't sing, hire a singer!
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

RockyRhoads wrote:
SixPounder wrote:

The vocals are the reason I really dislike BLS. I grew up living near Geoff Tate of Queensryche, so all the local bands around here had excellent vocalist. As a result, I just have no time for that BLS, Pantera, Limp Bizkit shouting vocal style. If you can't sing, hire a singer!
BLS shouts?....Limp Bizkit....Never mention them on this board again..A singer like Geoff Tate would sound horrible with a band like BLS or Pantera..Soft and high vocals don't go along with roaring guitars and pounding drums
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SixPounder wrote:A singer like Geoff Tate would sound horrible with a band like BLS or Pantera..Soft and high vocals don't go along with roaring guitars and pounding drums

I don't know about that, Geoff has a range that is incredible and he can sing anything. I was actually referring to the fact that I prefer vocalists who sings the vocals rather than shout/talk/growl them. That's a trend with a lot of metal bands, I guess they want to sound badass or evil or something, but they just sound like crap over decent music.

So rather than Geoff Tate as an example, how about this: A singer should have range and singing ability along the lines of Rob Halford and Bruce Dickenson.

To be fair, the only BLS CD I have is 1919 Eternal amd the vocals on that suck.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meh wrote:Paul, have you heard any of his Book of Shadows stuff?
No, as a matter of fact I have not... I'll check it out...
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

You may have seen the video that Cableguy put up at RR.TK of Zakk playing in a parking lot in Novi, Michigan? I originally sent him that tape (bought it in '93), so I know Zakk can sing with a rock 'n' roll voice, but I really don't like the BLS I've heard...

I think a Layne Staley voice would work over some of Zakk's stuff...