Leave Zakk alone please

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RhoadsFan

Leave Zakk alone please

Post by RhoadsFan »

I would just like to adress the people who make fun and bash Zakk for using Randy's Polka Dot V and saying really mean things like he doesnt deserve to play it, when in reality, he is paying tribute to the most influential guitar player to him. Just leave him alone please because hes a good guy, and IMO the closest anyone comes to being as good a (guitar) role model as Randy.
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

I seen Bls for the 7th time on saturday. When Zakk brought out the pdv he played a Spotlight solo and 90% was Randys solo from the Tribute album. I think Zakk is a great player but I do think he needs to put down the beer and start writing some good stuff again.. I thought his latest album was pretty weak.. just my 2 cents
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

just my opinion everbodys got one just yours is wrong!!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meh wrote:I beg to differ. ;)
Like Zakk could hold a candle to Britney :D
Randy's Angst

Post by Randy's Angst »

I don't really make fun of Zakk at all. He knows how to play guitar, that much is true. But he will never hold a candle to Randy. But nonetheless, he still knows his way around six strings.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Leave Zakk alone please

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

RhoadsFan wrote:I would just like to adress the people who make fun and bash Zakk for using Randy's Polka Dot V and saying really mean things like he doesnt deserve to play it, when in reality, he is paying tribute to the most influential guitar player to him. Just leave him alone please because hes a good guy, and IMO the closest anyone comes to being as good a (guitar) role model as Randy.
I don't think this is the issue here,i think its more of a ...Zakk is filling RR shoes as he does play in Ozzy's band when he's not doing his thing with BLS he does a tribute to RR and he also does a tribute to Dimebag Darrell ..So in respect to both guitarists not just Randy.But i don't think Zakk does himself any favours with the down and out image and stating that he doesn't wash or wipe his ass after toilet duties..But he still gets the woman... ? I'm sure that his wife cannot wait for bedtime if this is true ...OK he may look a bit on the rough side but that doesn't stop him from being an amazing axeman.Plus how many guys do you know that can do a full set with BLS then come back on stage and go through a full Ozzy set...Some guys would be chinstrapped after two gigs but this guy is doing full tours..I'm sure everyone who sees him on the BLS Ozzy tour in the summer will not be dissapointed...I'll be waiting for the critics
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How many guitar players have the opportunity to play with their own band and Ozzy?

How long is each set? Springsteen used to do 4 hour shows with no opening act every nigh for full marathon tours. It's not unheard of.

The issue most of Zakk's critics have with him is his attitude. Zakk is the greatest and will be happy to tell you so. He can kick your ass and is happy to tell you so. The only guy in his league was Dime and he's happy to tell you so.

Now look at Randy, he was better than 99% of his peers then and now. So how did he react to comments of his greatness? He said he was intimidated by everyone and always wanted to get better. He was humble and respected his talent and fame.

How does Zakk come across? As though he has no respect for his talent or his fame. He's great and he deserves all the fame he's got. Just ask him. Rhoadsfan, you like Zakk and don't like it when people talk badly about him. That's cool, but those who don't like him should have the right to express that opinion as well.

As for "paying tribute" by using a polka-dot V onstage? That's not how it comes across to me. To me he's taking an iconic guitar and having it associated with himself. To me, that's wrong.

Yeah, all you Zakk fans will say I'm wrong. It's an opinion and everyone is entitled to voicing theirs.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

RockyRhoads wrote:As for "paying tribute" by using a polka-dot V onstage? That's not how it comes across to me. To me he's taking an iconic guitar and having it associated with himself. To me, that's wrong.
He plays 'Dee' Live and all the fans cheer when he's playing this they don't shout or heckle him and call him a Randy clone.He plays a Dean Razorback in memory of Dimebag and i think the polka V is used for the same reasons.Its not a case of i wanna be like RR, he is playing Ozzy songs and he has a reputation to be as good as the past guitarists.I can see your thinking behind this, but why play a PDV ? when he could play any other guitar ?.For respect of the man who's shoes he's filling and to show that he is a fan of RR.(He has posters of him on his cabinets...) He could just go on stage and be beer spewing Zakk Wylde but how much recognition is that going to get ??.He dedicates In this River to Dimebag and has said that the song will never leave the set because he was DD friend,which i think is a very fitting tribute to a fellow musician and friend..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I understand what you are saying, but I just see it differently. To play the songs is respectable, I just see no reason to use the guitar...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:I just see no reason to use the guitar...
I look at it as a guitarist playing his idols signature gear,
which guitarists do all over the world(not everyone, but a fair share) :!:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote:I just see no reason to use the guitar...
I look at it as a guitarist playing his idols signature gear,
which guitarists do all over the world(not everyone, but a fair share) :!:
This is true, but most don't have their own signature gear :D !! It's just a difference of opinion... I understand your point.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meh wrote:He will also point out how much praciticing it takes to stay "in the game", so saying that he has no respect for his talent or fame, is just ridicilous, and a really uneducated comment at that.
We're always going to butt heads on this one, aren't we?

Aynone can say the right things in interviews, it's called "keeping up the perception". Lynyrd Skynyrd's manager used to make each band member fill his mouth with whiskey and then spit it out before interviews, then he'd empty half the bottle into a potted plant and set the bottle on the table. Then the interviewer cam in and thught, "Hey, these guys really do party non-stop." David Lee Roth used to fill Jack Daniels bottles with iced tea so he'd look like he was drinking, then point out that other "wannabe" bands filled Jack bottles with tea, but VH reall drank the whisky! It's a show.

When Zakk is willing to put his talent above his image, then I'll have respect for him. As long as he has to put up pretences and live by the "image" when in public and then live a different life privately, I'll call him a poser. Same goes for Aerosmith or any band/"musician" who cannot just be themselves.

At least Britney isn't hiding the fact that she's a messed up kid who has gone over the edge. That I can respect. She's not hiding her drinking and insanity and coming out in public as a goody-two-shoes. She's messed up and, apparently, proud of it.

Zakk is not messed up but likes to present the bad-ass, tough guy image. I I ran into Zakk in a bar, I wouldn't worry, because I think he's probably a nice guy who just dresses the part. If I met "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in a bar, I would worry a little more, because although he's probably a nice guy, he's also a legitimate tough guy who is not going to back away from a fight. What I mean is, Zakk has an image he presents and Steve Austin's image is really who he is.

My problem with respecting Zakk is that I don't like his image or the his music. He has loads of talent, but he ain't my cup of tea. I'm not "uneducated" when I comment about Zakk, I am just approaching him from a different point of view.